Setup for new Gunfighter MK3

Moderator: AdminGroup

Grimnir

Setup for new Gunfighter MK3

Postby Grimnir » Tue Jun 15, 2021 17:47

Hi all, I just recently recieved my new Gunfighter MK III (with MCG Pro). Fantastic stick but I am a bit overwhelmed with the setup. The Quick Start guide illustrates that I need to attach the stick and adjust the dampers by removing the dust cover.

I did that and thightened the two damper screws til I meet some resistance, then I loosened it a bit so as not to be to thight. But is that all? Do I really need to adjust the dampers or is that just for the MK II? Is it just plug and play? I haven`t touched the additional springs yet.

For a complete beginner with sticks like these a bit more detailed user manual would have been nice. I found the quick start guide a bit… lackluster? I am afraid to break the damn thing by doing something wrong (it is pricey so would suck).. :)

Thanks you for all replies.
Last edited by Grimnir on Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:18, edited 2 times in total.

fallout9

Re: Setup for new Gunfighter MK3

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 18:23

Here's the manual. As I responded to your other post, at the beginning it is recommended to release the dampers and add some more springs, then play with it for a while to get used to it; from that point you could make changes: adjust dampers, put more springs, swap cams etc.
After you're done with adjustments you have to calibrate your joystick. You haven't mentioned what grip you have, but here's the calibration process for Kosmosima grip. You don't have to flash the firmware, just follow the guide from reset to Default and Calibration.

Grimnir

Postby Grimnir » Tue Jun 15, 2021 20:15

Thank you so much for your reply fallout9, sorry for the double post. I have watched the video now, and when I feel brave enough I will try to switch springs. Will use the factory setup for a while before going full «engineer mode» though.

Just a few more questions before I’ll leave you alone. Sorry if these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

1. I will mainly use the stick for DCS and IL-2 without an extension (might purchase one of your mounts later). Are the default Avia-s cams ok? What is the difference between Avia-s and Avia-h?
2. Springs: in the video-manual, what springs are used there at 6:16? I’m thinking of replacing the default #20 springs with the 30 springs and take it from there.
3. For regreasing later down, what should I use? I can see many recommending something called Nyogel?!

Thanks again fallout9 for your patience with a noob. I will absolutely order more of your fantastic products. It really is Superior craftmanship!

Best regards from Norway.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 20:43

The difference between Hard and Soft cams (on both Avia and Space) is that on the hard cams the axis detent is more notable, you could feel it better when you're crossing the axis detent; also, the stick centers better as the center detent is too more notable. The Avia cams have a more aggressive curve at the end of range to emulate air resistance; Space cams are more flat.
I think the springs used in the video are #20. You could try the same setup for yourself, with a pair of #20s on each cam.
No need for regreasing the base; maybe once every 1 or 2 years to lubricate the ball bearings with some fine oil. And a bit more often than that to open up the base to make sure that everything inside is tight and clean.

Grimnir

Postby Grimnir » Tue Jun 15, 2021 21:14

Thank you, that cleared up a lot of my questions. Have a nice week! :D

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 22:28

More than welcome! And please ask any other questions anytime!

Grimnir

Postby Grimnir » Thu Jun 24, 2021 17:31

For future reference: I ended up installing extra #20 springs on each axis. I did struggle a bit to loosen the connector from the circuit-board, but once that was done installing the springs as shown in the video was quite easy. Very happy with the end result, feels much better with the extra springs (2x20 on each axis). Still using the Avia-s cams.

Also for new users: very important to fasten the stick properly before use, or else the red light on the black bow will start blinking due to bad connection. I experienced this a couple of times before getting the hang of it. Watch videos, read the forums… it is not as scary as you think.

Some constructive feedback on the video: it was very helpfull, but on some parts I wish there could have been a bit more zoom.

krixx

Postby krixx » Mon Sep 19, 2022 20:25

I have to agree the experience of opening my gunfighter with MCG3 was an extremely disappointing one. First the QR code on the very poor quick start leads to the general YouTube channel where you can't find anything except how to calibrate or flash the MCG III / Gunfighter.

Googling for "vkb sim gunfighter mcg quick start guide" gets you to a PDF for the MK.II. Going further gets you to a forum post from 2020 wherein it says that the guide will be updated (viewtopic.php?t=3958) - it apparently never was.

This forum post - found an hour later - has a link to a youtube video "Replacing cams and springs, adjusting the dry clutch, installing a grip on a GunFighter base" - you can't see any text after "Replacing cams and springs, adjusting the dry clutch..." in YouTube so there is no way you will find the "installing the grip" bit, even searching YouTube for 'install", "setup" "quick" - which I did.

There is no cabling connection diagram anywhere I have found yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out, but have no idea why I have a box at all, what the LEDs on it are for, and whether my joystick is supposed to go into the S-Bus or the L-Bus (whatever they are).

I bought this thing after having bought my Gladiator EVO NXT which has pretty clear and findable instructions and YouTube Films, so expected a similar experience. Not so, it's been downright painful for the past 1.5 hours now and I'm just hoping that after I connect to the S-Bus and then the USB further the thing will be detected. We will see. Otherwise I'll try the L-Bus. Not impressed so far.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 21:53

There's only 2 sockets that the included cable will fit, one on the Black Box, the other one on the base. The USB cable should be pretty easy to plug, but if you still have issues please say so and I'll post pictures.
There are 2 videos you need to see: calibrating the joystick and adjusting the base (installing the grip on the base is shown at the end of the video). I suggest, for starters, to leave the existing cams and just add some springs, as shown in the video, as the default springs are too soft for a grip like MCG.
I am really sorry about your wasted time, but this could've been faster if you would've just addressed the questions here or on our Discord channel.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”