Setup Cyclic Switch and also have Shift layer

Moderator: AdminGroup

LoneStar

Setup Cyclic Switch and also have Shift layer

Postby LoneStar » Wed May 26, 2021 1:43

I'm new to VKB. Trying to configure my VKB MCG Ultimate with button settings similar to my Warthog. I have been able to get most of the configuration setup but need additional assistance.

Warthog Target software has a Sequence function that generates different keystrokes each time a button is press. Below is from the Target Script Editor Manual...

Sequences

The SEQ (from sequence) function is used to generate different keystrokes each time you press the button. This way you can manage all external views or select your weapons just by pressing one button:

MapKey(&Joystick, S1, SEQ('a', 'b', 'c'));

In this case, pressing TG1 once will provide an 'a' that can be held until you release the trigger; press the trigger again and you will get 'b'; press again and you will get a 'c' that you can hold, and then from the beginning again – 'a'...

In DCS, viewing the "Theater Map" and returning to the cockpit requires two different key presses. F10 to view the map and then F1 to return to the cockpit. With the Target sequence function I could press a single button on my Warthog to view the map and then press the same button and return to the cockpit (Pilot View). I also still had a shift layer available to assign a different key command.

From my study of the VKB Joystick Manual, I believe this could be accomplished the "Cyclic Switch". The problem is that using the "Cyclic Switch" or any of the other switches does not allow setting up a "Shift 1" or "Shift 2" button. I really do not want to lose the ability to have the shift layer keys. That's one of reasons why I selected the VKB MCG Ultimate...to have more buttons.

I've reviewed some of posts on the VKB forum but have not been able to get a handle on how to accomplish this in VKB software without losing the Shift 1 and 2 key assignment. Most seem to fall short in describing if or how this can be accomplished.

So far, I very pleased with the VKB MCG Ultimate. Any help or direction you can provide with be appreciated.

Thanks,

fallout9

Re: Setup Cyclic Switch and also have Shift layer

Postby fallout9 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:49

You could definitely achieve that with Cyclic Switch. There's also a second option if you need only 2 positions: Toggle.
But I don't understand this part: "The problem is that using the "Cyclic Switch" or any of the other switches does not allow setting up a "Shift 1" or "Shift 2" button. I really do not want to lose the ability to have the shift layer keys." Could you post some screenshots to see where you're trying to get?

LoneStar

Re: Setup Cyclic Switch and also have Shift layer

Postby LoneStar » Sun May 30, 2021 1:32

Thanks for the replay fallout9. I got it to work. I used a post by SockToy as reference http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?t=4051. The reason I could not get it to work is I failed to change Operand 1 in the Boolean Button Mapping Wizard from Physical (the default setting) to Logical. After making the change everything worked. My setup was a different from SockToys. My setup has the Cyclic Switch set to SHIFT0 and the shift key layer set to SHIFT1. A big THANKS to Socktoy!

Now on to the next challenge!

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”