VKB Configurator - How can I assign Twist (Z axis) to keyboard Shift key?

Moderator: AdminGroup

arizonamoonshine

VKB Configurator - How can I assign Twist (Z axis) to keyboard Shift key?

Postby arizonamoonshine » Wed Apr 21, 2021 0:11

I’m setting up bindings for Star Wars Squadrons and the game has a binding for “Drift (While boosting)” that doesn’t work correctly with sticks. From researching it’s a known issue they never fixed.

On the keyboard it’s mapped to the Shift key.

What I’d like to do is assign the Shift key (Drift While Boosting) to Twist, but in both directions.

I researched a post here that showed how to change the Axes to Fixed (FA checkbox on Global) and turn on keyboard to map WASD keys to X and Y. But I don’t think that’s what I’m going for because I like the X and Y as is right now. I only want to change Z.

Any ideas to make this work? I’m thinking it can be the Z Axis mapped to the same Shift key, in both directions, or Left Twist mapped to Left Shift and Right Twist mapped to Right Shift.

I attempted to do it with macros but I still can’t figure out how to assign Twist to a button. A2B didn’t seem to do anything for Z.

fallout9

Re: VKB Configurator - How can I assign Twist (Z axis) to keyboard Shift key?

Postby fallout9 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:44

I strongly suggest not to assign pitch and roll to digital. It won't feel natural on a joystick and you can't use curves.
For assigning Shift key to both sides of the twist do this:

d1.JPG

In Profile/Axes/Axes2Buttons set the axis 5, which is the twist (you have a SCG grip right? if you have MCG Pro/U use axis 7) as Edges2, Num 1, Hysteresis up to you, VButt 33 (and automatically 34) - set different numbers if buttons 33 and 34 are already used on your profile.

d2.JPG

Click on the first button (in this example 33) on the Profile/Buttons/Physical Layer chart. In the new window set it as Keyboard, then direct it to KEY_************ (by pulling the roll down menu and scrolling all the way down). Check the Shift option on the right side (either left or right Shift could get assigned).
Close that window and do the same for next button, 34.
At the end press Set button to save the changes.

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:09

HA! I was so close. I literally figured this out on my own but I was choosing #3 instead of #7! I have an MCGU. I was thinking it was 3 because X Y Z. When it didn’t work I thought I was doing something wrong.

And yes agreed I definitely did not want to mess with any axes other than the twist. In Squadrons so far I like having throttle and roll on my Left hand, and Pitch and Yaw on my right, like I had my PS4 controller. But this gives me more options to play with now, thanks!

Also I love Configurator. I just opened it up last night and didn’t take me long to sort out. I come from a music production and audio engineering background and personally I think it’s very intuitive. It’s like if you think of something it can probably do it.

But, what does the 1-8 correspond to in A2B? 1 = X, 2 = Y, 7 = Z Twist and...?

Gonna give it a go now thanks

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:17

Okay so substituting 41 and 42 for 33 and 34 in your example, I’m able to set it up, but if I go to the buttons Test tab, nothing lights up when I Twist.

If I don’t use 42 and just do 41, I’m able to successfully map it to Twist but only inward Twist. An inward Twist lights up the button 42

Is an outward Twist possible too? In your example I’m assuming two buttons would light up, 1 for inward Twist, 1 for outward.

Also am I perhaps on an old version of Configurator? It says v0.91.78, NJoy32 v2.03.0

I noticed your A2B tab had an extra set of numbers 1-8 down the left side vs my version. And you also have a tab called Boolean that I dont

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 22:00

Screenshots please, as above.

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:15

Sure thing. I'm having issues adding more than 3 pictures in this forum, so I need to split this up into multiple replies

A2B seems to be okay:

VKB Configurator 1.png

If I don't Assign a Keyboard key, the buttons trigger when I twist as expected:

VKB Configurator No Shift works.png

VKB Configurator No Shift works 43.png
Last edited by arizonamoonshine on Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:49, edited 2 times in total.

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:40

continuing...

But setting it up as described causes the the Test buttons to stop lighting up on Twist. I have been careful to click 'SET' after updating.
Shift R.png

Shift Left.png

VKB Configurator Logical Layer shows shift.png

Essentially assigning SHIFT causes the buttons to not trigger or light up in Test mode if I assign 42 and 43 as shown above.

However If I only assign 1 button to SHIFT or don't use Keyboard assignments at all, it works okay to trigger the buttons as you described using Twist. It seems adding Keyboard presses breaks it somehow.

**EDIT** Photo upload issues were due to forum size limit. I've taken photos with my phone to show the behavior or lack thereof, when twisting:

https://imgur.com/gallery/qOE2Os2

Thanks again for the assistance!
Last edited by arizonamoonshine on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:24, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:23

Global/Common, is the Keyboard active?

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:40

LMAO

No, it wasn’t! Just tried it on Classic. Works like a charm :lol: . I didn’t realize the green button lights didn’t need to light up, now the routing (keyboard vs buttons vs other) makes total sense.

Thank you for your efforts.

One final question, Is there any way to adjust the point that “Shift” is now pressed? So rather than a full twist left or right, it only needs 1/4 of a twist?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:46

My fault, I should've mentioned.
You could adjust the Hysteresis to modify the position of the actuation. If it's not enough, then you could shrink that axis by setting up larger DzHi in Profile/Axes/Logical Axes.

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:42

Awesome I’ll give that a go!

and no worries i should’ve RTFM. I missed the most basic part.

Cheers

arizonamoonshine

Postby arizonamoonshine » Thu Apr 22, 2021 13:52

fallout9 wrote:My fault, I should've mentioned.
You could adjust the Hysteresis to modify the position of the actuation. If it's not enough, then you could shrink that axis by setting up larger DzHi in Profile/Axes/Logical Axes.

Just wanted to stop in again for a final report. I was able to fine tune the twist using a combination of your suggestion, raising DzHi to 25 and then also setting KdHi and KdLow both to 155. In this configuration it effective shrinks the Twist required to trigger the shift key. I’m now able to pull off drifts in the craziest ways. Like driving a car but drifting in full 3D 360°. Not to mention it’s way more fun to drift with a twist versus a button.

Thanks again!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:11

Nice! I would keep only one side for drifting though and assign the other side for something else.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”