SCG Pro analog space brake for Star Citizen

Moderator: AdminGroup

faybs

SCG Pro analog space brake for Star Citizen

Postby faybs » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:22

Star Citizen recently added the ability to have an analog axis as a space brake (it fires thrusters to counter your current motion). I have a Kosmosima Pro, and it occurred to me that it would be good to use the A1 thumbstick as an analog brake, so I can feather the ship's speed with my thumb, as if I was pushing a tiny little brake pedal. The problem is, when the thumbstick is centered the axis value is 32767, not zero (I basically need to halve the range of the thumbstick axis, so that zero is when the thumbstick is centered and 65535 when the thumbstick is fully deflected). After some experimentation I got it working, but I wanted to ask the experts here if what I did is a good way of doing it, or whether I'm exploiting a bug and my analog brake is going to go away when I next flash my stick :)

What I did was very simple: on VkbDevCFG, under Profile/Axes/Logical Axes I unchecked Cn for the Rot Y axis and then recalibrated the stick. Now when the A1 thumbstick is in its idle position in the center, in the tester RotY registers as 0 and when I push it up with my thumb the value increases until it gets to 65535. When I relax my thumb, the thumbstick returns to center and the value gets back down to 0. Pulling the thumbstick back from center has no effect, but I don't care about that - I'm going to be using the thumbstick as a tiny brake pedal. This is exactly the behavior I want, but am I doing it "right"?

Thanks.

Leftharted

Re: SCG Pro analog space brake for Star Citizen

Postby Leftharted » Mon Jun 07, 2021 23:42

I wanted to do this too, but couldn't figure it out. I understand what you have done, but i wanted to chime in to see if we can get help expanding on this further. I understand some of the basic principles; notably changing basic buttons/functions via the VKB youtube tutorials... but im at a loss for how to setup the thumbstick as a brake.

What i'd like, is if UP/DOWN mirror each other, in that the center is 0, but pushing in either direction will engage the same axis(IE, the brake). Basically, the same as yours; only id like to mirror this in the other direction at the same time. I imagine you can somehow bind both directions to the same axis/input? Rather, i think i know how to map the same axis to two different 'inputs', but i have no idea how to make a single axis into a "one way, from center" and then have the opposite direction mirror that same axis.

Also, did your changes affect the X (the crossed) analog axis at all? If able, i'd like that preserved.

TL;DR: how do you split an axis, so that the 'center' reads 0 (rather than 32k)? Then, how do you map this same axis to the opposite direction?

Leftharted

Re: SCG Pro analog space brake for Star Citizen

Postby Leftharted » Fri Jun 11, 2021 21:29

Some Updates: Im starting to understand the software!! It's a headache to navigate... I fully understand why a lot of people dont like the software... BUT! their is no arguing that once you learn it; its perfect. The UI could maybe use a bit of tweaking to make it more comprehensive in some areas... Plus, i really wish the mouse-over tooltips would show the text from the actual manual; rather than the 'simplified' explanations... that would certainly have sped up my learning curve... and small FYI: this is all coming from a guy who does GD&T and aerospace audits for a living....

to the OP:
i think resetting your "Y" to default; and then changing it to a Relative axis, would suit your needs much more. Its literally just a checkbox near where the 'center' checkbox was if im remembering correctly. Then you can play with different scale factors to make it throw fast or slow. That said, dont forget to bind a reset to zero (or otherwise) button, just in case. section 4.3.22 of the manual.

This would at least let you use the full range of throw on the ministick; rather than limiting you to just one hemisphere. I'll likely be using it this way if my idea below doesn't pan out (or feel) the way i expect.

For my expanded idea:
At first i was experimenting with "Combine" axis, and specifying Dir1 and Dir2 etc. etc.; an i think with some fine tuning it would have worked; but was getting a little confusing to make it function exactly the way i wanted.... Then i found " SPLIT Rev " under the AUX axis section of the manual; which i believe is EXACTLY what i wanted. Had to quit last night before i had a chance to really test the new output; but i believe im on the right track.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”