VKBDevCFG-C_v0.91.78.zip won't run

Moderator: AdminGroup

silvervette702

VKBDevCFG-C_v0.91.78.zip won't run

Postby silvervette702 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 20:07

I can't get the conifg zip file to run.
Screenshot 2021-03-09 084332.png
This is the message I get. Can anyone help?

fallout9

Re: VKBDevCFG-C_v0.91.78.zip won't run

Postby fallout9 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 0:22

That's a strange location for storing the file. Move it in a folder in Documents, or on the desktop and try again.

faybs

Re: VKBDevCFG-C_v0.91.78.zip won't run

Postby faybs » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:47

That's what it looks like when you double-click on an exe that's still inside a zip file. Windows extracts the entire zip file to a temp folder and then runs the exe from there. Not all apps support that, it is quite frankly just a clever hack on the part of Microsoft. It's in general not a good idea to run apps like that, because it causes your hard drive to fill up with multiple copies of whatever was in the zip file (one new copy for every time you run the exe from directly in the zip file). Windows will eventually clean it up, but it's just not an efficient way of doing things. I'd recommend just extracting the zip file somewhere sane and running it from there. I put all these tools under C:\VKB because they don't come with an uninstaller (in which case they'd go under program files).

Come to think of it, I suspect OP thought that the exe inside the zip file is the installer for VKBDevCFG. It's not, it is the actual program. There is no installer. Just extract it to some folder that makes sense (I put it in C:\VKB) and run it from there. To uninstall, just delete the exe.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”