Can you change the DLC wheel to read as buttons?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Penguin

Can you change the DLC wheel to read as buttons?

Postby Penguin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:10

Sorry if this is a redundant question but I am new to VKB joysticks and recently got the Gunfighter Mk.III ‘F-14 Combat Edition joystick.

Some background and context for my question. So far so good however it would seem to me there is much more potential in this joystick than I can figure out how to get out of it. It reads in windows just fine but from what I understand to really get the most out of it you need to use the VKB device config software. Which is where I am running into trouble. After searching around to try and figure it out it would appear that much like others I am having trouble figuring it out since the instructions didn't translate to english supper well. As well the program doesn't seem intuitive to me. Perhaps once you figure out the gist of it, it will be but, to start I am at a loss.

So my question is can you program it so the DLC wheel which reads as Rot X reads as two buttons instead of an axis. I would like to program it so I can use that wheel as a button to raise flaps when pushed forward and lower flaps when pushed back. That would seem more useful in most games as opposed to having it read as another axis. It seems to me that there is a way to do what I want but stuffed if I can figure out how right now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

fallout9

Re: Can you change the DLC wheel to read as buttons?

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:25

Make these changes in Profile/Axes/Axes2Buttons, then press Set to save. Make sure the joystick is properly calibrated before starting the game.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:39

Awesome thanks that did the trick. :D

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:57

Ok so next dumb question, it shows up as reading the wheel as two buttons when I test it in the VKB config program. Then when I go to program the buttons in flight simulator it doesn't read any buttons now. Does anyone have any idea why that may be?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:41

Try to bind another button to that control, does it work? Or try to assign the DLC buttons to something that you know it works for sure.

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:03

I am not sure what I did exactly but I think downloading the new firmware and flashing the joystick has helped. It reads all the buttons now in the game and the DLC wheel as two buttons and I have those programmed. So I am getting close I can feel it.

The problem I have now is I use the wheel to say lower the flaps when I let go of the wheel and it springs back to the middle position the flaps go to 50%. So in effect the flaps are always in the middle unless I have my thumb on the wheel.

Is there a way to program it for example where it reads a flick of the wheel forward as a button press say to extend flaps incrementally but it doesn’t read the return to the middle as another button press unless it passes the middle?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:04

Is actually a button assigned in game to flaps or the axis? If it's button then how many clicks between flaps on and off?

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:14

It is the DLC wheel axis. I have it reading as two different buttons right now.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:48

I know that, but even if you assign buttons to it there's still an axis running underneath. So that's why I'm asking about the settings in game - are you binding your DLC wheel to buttons or axes? What does it show in there? Buttonxx for Flaps Up or Axisxx?

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:56

Buttons. F6 and F7.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:09

What game/plane?

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:52

It is flight simulator x steam edition that I am having trouble with. I was flying the spitfire mk2a. I have tried some other planes like the 737. After trying a few other games I don't think it is really the joystick, I think it is the game as the buttons are working fine on IL-2. I think it is more related to flight simulator picking up that wheel as a flap axis. I had not noticed the flap axis before I am guessing that is the cause of my problems and why there flaps reset when I release the wheel. Thanks for all your help though I wouldn't have made it this far without it.
Attachments
2.jpg

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:59

Ok great news, now that I figured out that, that is the problem and not the joystick programming I figured out how to delete that axis in flight simulator and now it is working just the way I wanted it to. Thanks so much for your help. With out that I would never have figured out how to program that wheel to read as buttons.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”