Change between absolute and relative axis mode while a button is pressed

Moderator: AdminGroup

StickWhirler

Change between absolute and relative axis mode while a button is pressed

Postby StickWhirler » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:27

Is it possible to change an axis mode between absolute and relative by pressing a particular button (or alternatively, toggle by a button)?
In this particular case I'd like to change behavior of the SCG A1 microstick. When the secondary trigger is held, A1 y should go to relative mode (starting with the current A1 y absolute axis value) and when the trigger is released, it should return to absolute mode.

Ron61

Re: Change between absolute and relative axis mode while a button is pressed

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:49

It is possible.
For example, the microstick is located on the 5th and 6th axes, while there is a free 8th axis. And we set it up as a relative one. RMpl to your liking.
It remains only to set the correct button to switch the Abs / Rel mode.
Switch1.jpg
Switch.jpg

StickWhirler

Postby StickWhirler » Fri Jan 15, 2021 20:09

In your example, axis 6 will be active by default and axis 8 won't do anything. When the button is pressed, axis 6 will be disabled and axis 8 will catch the movement instead. But that's not what I want. I want to have the same axis ("HID Usage" ID) switch between absolute and relative.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 22:04

There is no such option. Perhaps only for now. I would like to know for what purposes exactly your version is needed?

StickWhirler

Postby StickWhirler » Fri Jan 15, 2021 23:22

Space sim (Elite Dangerous): I want to use the analog microstick for speed control. Basically relative, but in some situations, absolute control would be preferrable, for example when docking, to get precise proportional forward/backward control around zero speed (microstick centered) or in combat, when relative throttle is set to best performance speed and movement of the microstick then temporarily increases or decreases speed until it is centered again to return to best performance speed. In ED this can be done, at least in fligt assist mode, by using two different axes for throttle and thrust. Currently I use left/right for relative throttle and up/down for absolute. But it would be preferrable to have the option to do this by switching only one axis as usually sims only support one axis for speed control.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”