How to add a Mode button to Gladiator K

Moderator: AdminGroup

fallout9

How to add a Mode button to Gladiator K

Postby fallout9 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 21:14

There are 14 buttons on the Gladiator K base and 27 buttons on the Premium Kosmosima grip (or 20 on the Standard version) - for most of users this should be more than enough without having a Mode button to duplicate any controls. But if it isn't enough here's what to do in order to add a Mode button to your Gladiator K:

1. Have all the necessary files in the same folder, as explained in this video. Use this firmware file and this Configurator;
2. Open VKBDevCfg and press the Default button under Tools tab to reset your device to default state;
3. Download the Mode profile;
4. Store the profile into the same folder with VKBDevCfg;
5. Open VKBDevCfg, navigate to Setting and check all 4 boxes in there: Auto Read Parameters, Set After Load, Partial Write, Partial Calibration;
6. Go to Action tab, press the Load button, navigate to your profile location and load it up;
7. After the Configurator restarts go to Test/ Buttons tab and try your new profile - when pressing the Mode button the LED on the base will switch from red to green and the LED on the grip head will switch from blue to green;
8. Calibrate! Include all the axes: pitch, roll, twist, mini-throttle, ministick (only for Premium version of the grip);
9. Now the total number of buttons might exceed the maximum number of buttons allowed by a game: for example, Elite: Dangerous will see only the first 32 buttons, Star Citizen only first 50 buttons, Il-2 only first 64 buttons and DCS all 128 buttons;
10. To get all your buttons recognized in games like E:D, SC or Il-2 there are 2 options:
10.1. Identify in the Test/Buttons panel the buttons 33 and higher (for E:D), 51 and higher (for SC), or 65 and higher (for Il-2) and assign them to keyboard inputs;
10.2. Split your device into several virtual controllers by going to Global/Common, setting up the #Butt to maximum allowed by game (32 for E:D/SC or 64 for SC/Il-2) and setting up the number of virtual controllers by dividing the total number of buttons (which is 107) to maximum of button number allowed by game: this would be 4 virtual controllers for E:D (set up the VC to 3), 3 virtual controllers for SC (set up the VC to 2), 2 virtual controllers for Il-2 (set up the VC to 1); DCS does not need any changes. Press Set button in Action tab to save the changes. After this, the game will recognize the same device as several controllers, as many as set in VC, with as many buttons as set in #Butt.

How to enable the buttons to keyboard:
- enable the keyboard:
2.jpg

- click on the button you want to send to keyboard:
1.jpg

- assign keyboard press to button:
3.jpg

Press Set under Action tab to save changes.

How to change maximum buttons number and virtual controllers number:
4.jpg

Press Set under Action tab to save changes.

FlyinPinkPanther

Re: How to add a Mode button to Gladiator K

Postby FlyinPinkPanther » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:55

I appreciate the effort you are putting into this, but when you consider Il-2 and the 64 buttons.

This is what I observed. The "Red" mode uses buttons 1- 41 minus 16-20. I am guessing this is for POV.
When you switch to "Green" mode it skips to "73" It goes to "102" without skipping numbers.

Anyway, when you switch to "64" because the "Green" Mode starts at "73" you do not get any new programmable buttons.

I am guessing here, but unless the stick can reprogram the "Green" mode to be under 64, IL-2 will never recognize the buttons. I know the "VC is supposed to create a "different" entity, but it is not doing that.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:30

You have ghost devices in game. Delete all the files in .../1C Game Studios/Il-2 Sturmovik Great Battles/data/input (or move them to another folder). Start the game. Take a quick flight. Go to mapping. Bind fire all guns to trigger in red mode - it'll bind joy0_xx. Press the Mode button and make another bind for trigger on the same button - it'll bind joy1_xx. Get back in game. Press fire button without Mode - will fire. Press the Mode button then press the fire button - will fire also. I've just tried it, it works.

pbryn

Postby pbryn » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:06

Do these instructions and work for the left hand version? _Gladiator_SCG_L_v1_99_8.vkb

I get a flashing red light and need to reflash to get the Z-axis to function.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:10

Just checked it and it works for left hand stick too. Don't forget to calibrate afterwards; if you still have blinking lights it means either unsuccessful calibration or improper contact grip to base.

CMDR_Harada

Postby CMDR_Harada » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21

Works like a champ !

Thank you for the HOWTO .

apar.dspaede

Postby apar.dspaede » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46

I like using joystick gremlin for modes. if you have another joystick device you can use that as a mode switch

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”