Gladiator User Manual and macOS

Moderator: AdminGroup

OldSubSailor

Gladiator User Manual and macOS

Postby OldSubSailor » Wed May 22, 2019 4:26

Howdy,
I am hoping that this feedback will be seen by VKB the manufacturer.
Evidently the manual is written for Windows Boxes, including Fig #1. This of course includes the software that one can download from VKB.
I am using an iMac and x-plane, so that won't work. I did see a blurb in the manual step 12 that is about pressing buttons. So I decided to press the various buttons in the x-plane joystick setup and the applicable button did indeed highlight (the button numbers were completely different from what is shown in Fig. #1 regardless of which mode the joystick is in).

It would be helpful if VKB would put some sort of blurb in the manual about it being for a Windows setup only so that macOS purchasers would not waste time and effort in trying to use it.
Well, it would also be nice if the website referenced in the manual was not written in Greek.

Other than that concern, I do not have any issues with the joystick.

AeroGator

Re: Gladiator User Manual and macOS

Postby AeroGator » Thu May 23, 2019 5:32

Well honestly Mac not being a gaming platform has indeed for a long time been out of our focus.
In fact, you don't need our software utilities to fly; you need them to configure your devices and diagnose the problems.
Calibration is a VERY important thing, and it MUST be performed inside our soft. For that you may use a friend's PC or a Windows virtual machine on a Mac.
Profiles and settings are stored in the device. So calibrating your device on computer A makes it ready to be used on computers B through Z, regardless the OS. Same goes about the profiles. Set up your joystick on a PC, save, disconnect it from the PC, plug it into a Mac, and enjoy all your settings the way you edited them.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

OldSubSailor

Postby OldSubSailor » Thu May 23, 2019 15:53

Given your first statement, your advertisements should not even mention Macs then, or at least honestly state that you have given minimal to no focus to using it with a Mac.

Just curious, do you consider X-Plane a game?

"Calibration is a VERY important thing, and it MUST be performed inside our soft"; err what?

Further all this do this and then do that with a pc (evidently windows) and then tie into a Mac is a disservice to customers. I will gladly return the thing to you for a refund.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Thu May 23, 2019 16:49

Or, just do this (also provided the link to you in email on May 21, 2019, at 2:18 PM - Source: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?faq=can-i-u ... k-in-macos):

"Can I use my Gladiator stick in MacOS or Linux?

Yes, you should be able to calibrate a VKB Gladiator without the need for the Windows-based VKB WIZZO Config Software or VKBDevCfg Config Software.

The Gladiator Mk.I/II and Gladiator Pro Mk.I/II joysticks come with a “non-software” calibration function; here’s how to use it:

Plug your Gladiator into a USB port

- Within 5 seconds, press both EJECT+Flaps buttons simultaneously
- The stick goes into calibration mode (LED starts flashing)
- Calibrate by moving all axes (pitch, roll, yaw & throttle) through their full ranges
- Press the trigger (the joystick will restart)

Done; your joystick is calibrated. Calibration is required only one time (calibration data is saved in joystick memory).

Now, you should be able to go to your respective MacOS- or Linux-based flightsim and assign axes and buttons from within.

PS: This function is not available on other VKB controllers besides the Gladiator series at this time."
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu May 23, 2019 18:00

rrohde wrote:- Within 10 seconds, press both EJECT+Flaps buttons simultaneously[/i]

If I do not confuse, then only 5 seconds.

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Thu May 23, 2019 18:09

Thanks Ron!
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:18

OldSubSailor wrote: I did see a blurb in the manual step 12 that is about pressing buttons. So I decided to press the various buttons in the x-plane joystick setup and the applicable button did indeed highlight (the button numbers were completely different from what is shown in Fig. #1 regardless of which mode the joystick is in).

The fact that numbers of buttons pressed don't mach that "manual" don't matter, could be a Mac thing. If X-Plane are detecting the buttons press, all is good.

Shift (pinky) button and Mode button only affect grip trigger, top button and POV HAT - this only when Shift is pressed. This give you more 14 virtual buttons.

OldSubSailor

Postby OldSubSailor » Fri May 24, 2019 4:23

I thank you for all your input.

I still feel that the press eject and flaps within 5 seconds is somewhat of an esoteric event; where in the world did someone discover that trick?

I went and revisited the X-Plane joystick settings tab and noticed the buttons start at number 0. So the flaps button shown as button 1 in the manual, is "really" button 0 (I guess that is a programmers/math thing) in the flight sim. This in turn throws off all the button number assignments in X-Plane. I don't know how other flight sims have button numbers assigned.

So I am guessing that the Subject should be more along the lines of ... user manual and X-Plane.

Yes, all the other information in the manual is Windows (and various VKB programs) specific. After all, one can perform all the things that require 'calibration' in the X-Plane joystick settings.

The trick for Macs is that when in the X-Plane joystick settings, one can press a button to see which one it is and then edit it for whatever purpose one wants. Perhaps all this button stuff defaults to what is shown in the manual for Windows users?

So I guess that this equine is well and truly dead.

EOF

Sokol1

Postby Sokol1 » Fri May 24, 2019 16:43

OldSubSailor wrote:I went and revisited the X-Plane joystick settings tab and noticed the buttons start at number 0. So the flaps button shown as button 1 in the manual, is "really" button 0 (I guess that is a programmers/math thing) in the flight sim. This in turn throws off all the button number assignments in X-Plane. I don't know how other flight sims have button numbers assigned.

This is normal, Windows and joy software usually start numbering joystick buttons from #1, but some games (e.g. IL-2 series) are programmed - for whatever reason; for start numbering from #0.

In the end what matter is the function you have assigned for a given joy button, for example trigger can be brake lever for Spitfire, IL-2.... or in GA sim (X-Plane, FSX) PTT button. :mrgreen:
The fact that trigger are - for Windows, button #1 or #14 or #64... don't matter for games.

In VKB FTP are others Gladiator profiles with different buttons options,
but IMHO none offer something better than this default profile, just different, example in some trigger is button #1 others
include/or not T-Rudder axes in the profile, and some don't have even "shift" or "mode" functions, limiting grip usability,
but as different players have different preferences...

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”