Elite Dangerous Fold trigger

Moderator: AdminGroup

robomiller

Elite Dangerous Fold trigger

Postby robomiller » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:37

Hey guys,

Just got my Gunfighter MCG pro so a total noob here. So here is what i'm trying to do. Since the new patch for Elite Dangerous you now have a the new Discovery mode and combat mode. What I want to do is switch to discovery mode when I have the foldable trigger in the down position do a scan with the trigger and then fold it back up to go back into combat mode. When I bind the mode toggle to the folding trigger it does go into discovery mode but to re enable combat mode I have to fold it up and fold it back down for it to register. So i'm hoping that someone that is familiar with both ED and MCG pro would know if this is possible to do. Hopefully that makes sense.

rtrski

Re: Elite Dangerous Fold trigger

Postby rtrski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 15:40

That's a pretty good idea, if it can be made to work.

I'm not sitting in front of the bindings now but does the Analysis (edit - or Combat) mode assignment have the option of "HOLD" vs. "Toggle"?

The flip-up trigger has a button action on the up, not on the flip back down (without squeezing it some and engaging a different button press, which one is depending on your settings in VKBConfig software). But the button is "pushed" while it is up. I have mine set to Cargo Scoop for both the SRV and the main ship. But that command does have the HOLD vs. TOGGLE option in the Elite bindings. So when I flip it up the cargo hatch opens and stays that way, and when I flip it down that 'hold' is released so the hatch closes.

I think whether the hold option exists for the Analysis (edit - Combat) mode is the key here. You might want to reverse the idea and have Analysis is "up" vs. Combat though, otherwise the same concept. Personally with the trigger "up" you've lost the folding trigger to use as a different button so you might want to go the other route, up is Analysis, ("safed weapons") down is Combat so now the folding trigger could be your 2ndary fire or heatsinks or something else.

if it helps, I've got a binding cheatsheet I made with slightly outdated version of my Elite bindings. All images of course full credit/ownership VKB, and I made sure to say so on the sheet. This pre-dated the last patch, and my receiving pedals so it also still shows me using Yaw on a hat. Link is 'view only' but I believe that lets you download and edit yourself if you can open Powerpoint: https://1drv.ms/p/s!AuHD2NL7qn3wvAmG1wix6RQKKKHg First page is "blank" for printing and pencilling in to see how things work, second page is an example final one.

Another hint -read up the documentation (for VKB Config) about the "Tempo" command. Very easy to apply to the 3 buttons on the stick top back face so you can have two functions on each, one with a tap, one with a slightly longer 'hold'. e.g. the same button can be heatsink or shield cell perhaps.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

robomiller

Postby robomiller » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10

Unfortunately there was no Hold option for the binding.

After reading the manual. In section 3.7.2 PG. 37. There is a way to make the folding trigger act like two buttons depending which position that its in. So it mostly works. I just binded both buttons to the mode toggle switch.

You right about having combat mode in the down position. That way I can use that button for something since the scanner is set to a secondary or primary trigger. The cheat sheet was a tremendous help. Thank you. This is what I have so far for my binding. https://1drv.ms/p/s!AmbS4rOOwFdXlmd40zjxDQBvLeLj I was using the hotas saitec x52 which had a preset so this is the first time really binding most stuff by myself. I am still using the throttle from the x52 and the mcg pro stick I also got pedals for roll. Its still a work in progress. How do you have one button with a long press and a quick press? Also how does landing override in ED work? (told ya I was a Noob.)

On a side note does your Y axis go back to the center? mine seems to like to hang around 29663-32767. I think 32767 seems to be exact center. My stick is still in the out of box settings with cams and springs. I haven't the stones quite yet to mess with those. So I don't know if that is normal or not.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sun Jan 13, 2019 17:53

robomiller wrote:Unfortunately there was no Hold option for the binding.

Yeah, I checked finally today. No 'hold' for those two. I might make a suggestion on Frontier's forums regarding it.

robomiller wrote:...How do you have one button with a long press and a quick press? Also how does landing override in ED work? (told ya I was a Noob.)

For long press and short press, use the VKB Config software first to save a new configuration to the stick with the Tempo function for the buttons you want, then you can bind the longer press in Elite the same way you bind the shorter press. I posted on it a long while back, will try to link... (LATER) OK here it is, it was on Reddit/r/hotas. Speaking of which, might want to move just Elite conversations specifically either there or /r/EliteDangerous, instead of cluttering VKB forums with something TOO single-app-specific. But this is definitely pertinent as (very basic!) VKB programming. The software and firmware have rolled since I posted this but I believe the basics are still accurate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... ample_two/

Regarding landing overrides, as long as your gear is DOWN the alternate landing controls work, when the gear is UP, those bindings are disabled so whatever else is bound is done instead. One of the difficult things with Elite -- and a reason you'll probably play around with bindings a while before settling on your favorite -- is figuring out which commands override which mode, so where you can and can't use the same button for different things. (For example, if you assign SRV jump-jet 'up' to the same control as turret movement in "pitch" ...your SRV will hop while the turret raises. ;-) Other controls like the UI panel controls only work when you are "focused" on a panel so you can use a button for say moving left or right in UI selection that also does something else when not in UI mode...but I find that confusing and would rather isolate a hat for cursor control, so to speak.

robomiller wrote:On a side note does your Y axis go back to the center? mine seems to like to hang around 29663-32767. I think 32767 seems to be exact center. My stick is still in the out of box settings with cams and springs. I haven't the stones quite yet to mess with those. So I don't know if that is normal or not.

If your Y doesn't center precisely check the dry clutches, make sure they're loosened all the way first, and recalibrate. Also level mounting matters, e.g. if your chosen installation for the mounting plate swivels or hinges at all (like mine does) that will influence its ability to return to center with the weaker springs. Don't be bashful about carefully disassembling the base - removing the rubber dust gasket, and pulling the gimbal out of the base (there is a little pin connector you need to remove on the bottom after removing the bottom plate, so don't forget to do that before trying to lift the mechanism 'out' of the rounded housing). Taking a look at the mechanism gives you a good feel for how its moving and how the dry clutches work so you can adjust to your preferences. I use "no" clutch at all - loosened them all the way, then tightened only enough that I could see the spring was "held" but not really compressed, so it wasn't rattling loose on the screw shaft. When I deflect the stick and then let go, it will oscillate a little of course with no dampening at all and weakest springs, but the digital value on return to center does tend to be within 25-50 at worst of the ~32k midpoint, unless my mount plate is a bit further canted than I usually use it at.

IF you have any problems (and that's a very big IF - by no means am I blaming VKB for anything at all here, just expressing an opinion based on a year or more of posts I've seen and the occasional experience myself - I think it is more likely going to be on the X axis. The X sensor board plugs into the other board with a short cable which has to route kind of thru the gimbal. My experience has been that this cable can, due to whatever bend it happens to have, and being crowded by the bottom plate, occasionally start to kind of 'tug' at the top connection, some combination of X and Y motion might kind of get it on the other side of the hardware from where it was to begin with. So if you start to see the X axis behaving weird, managing that cable (make sure it's plugged in firmly, maybe eyeball it as you manipulate the stick with the bottom removed and decide if it needs a nudge to one side before replacing the plate) is the cure. I still do this occasionally (like every 3-5 months sort of thing) and keep considering building a replacement for that cable with really flexible silicone-insulated wire to retrofit in, but it's only a minor annoyance in an otherwise wonderful stick and gimbal, so compared to all my current sim-pit development efforts that's waaaay down the priority list. :D (Post about it: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3155#p31150)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”