Is there a Graphical Representation to ID Features ?

Moderator: AdminGroup

SnowTiger

Is there a Graphical Representation to ID Features ?

Postby SnowTiger » Sun Jul 22, 2018 20:56

I'm having a bit of difficulty Identifying one Button or Hat from another, especially the Hats.
It would be much easier for me to comprehend the technical information regarding the VKB Gunfighter II, MCG Pro setup if I knew in advance what each Hat/Button is called or it's ID, without first having to open the VKB Profiler/Calibration tool(s) and then Clicking On or Moving each Button/Hat to see which one lights up.

So I was wondering if there is a Graphical Representation of the MCG Pro Grip that ID's each Hat/Button.
The only example I could find to illustrate what I'm looking for is for the TH Warthog Throttle (which isn't great either but I know which button is which).
If they MCG Pro Grip IMAGE were to Number each Button/Hat, it would make my life much easier AND the Manual/Help Files much easier to comprehend in advance.
{Please See Attached Example Image}

Is there such a thing for my grip ?
Attachments
WH Throttle 1.jpg
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

Sideslip

Re: Is there a Graphical Representation to ID Features ?

Postby Sideslip » Sun Jul 22, 2018 21:59

They probably don't show all the button in a graphic because people change those and then it isn't accurate anymore. No one else in the world has the same button numbers as I do on my MCG. In any case, which button is which number is irrelevant. When you bind controls in a game you do it by pushing the button you want, that's it. Unless you've got some old DOS program where you have to manually type in the buttons (was that ever even a thing?)

To see what VKB called each button and where they are in the profiler, make sure to check the box labeled "poll" on the physical layer page. That is where the "physical" number cannot be changed (and corresponds to the same position on the logical layer), but doesn't necessarily relate to the number reported to Windows (button number). Mousing over the button will show a tool-tip with the name.
Polling.jpg

If for whatever reason you want to have a list of what each button number is, click on the tools tab and then "device report". That will spit out the Physical Layer, Button Name and Logical Layer with the Button Numbers that are reported to Windows.
Device Report-4.jpg

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Jul 23, 2018 23:49

I made one with the default button numbers for the MCG Pro on a GF II base. That was several firmwares ago so I can't promise the default button numbers haven't changed.

Search my nickname on the Reddit hotas forum (same as here) and you can probably find it. There were both PDF and pptx versions available. If you can't find it feel free to p.m. me and I can hook you up with a OneDrive link or something.

I was very careful to note that any hardware images were the property of VKB and not myself, I was just making a fan-aid kind of document.

Edit: Home from work, here was the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments ... _pptx_for/
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 13:00

So it looks like a "physical" level, "logical" can look quite different.

MCG corresponding line numbers.png

SnowTiger

Postby SnowTiger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 17:49

Thanks to each of you for your respective replies.
Each reply has been useful and I have managed to locate (where necessary) and download/save each of the images and files provided.
The latter two posts were more of what I was looking for. It is helpful to understand the default ID of each button "if and when" DCS doesn't see the button press. This way the correct button can be selected from the Drop Down List within DCS's Profiler.

On the other hand, I am aware that pressing each button in the VKB Editor will properly display each (which in the end is most important if any have been changed as "rtrski" suggested could have happened) and ultimately, I am going to have to get used to this software (the VKB Editor/Profiler .. thingy !) because I know there are some features currently not working or recognized in DCS that will have to first be Enabled within that software.

But the Image Charts will be very useful and will save me some time for sure.

Thanks again to each of you.
Happy Flights
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

SnowTiger

Postby SnowTiger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 17:53

And of course I have one more semi-related question.

When it comes to the use of the TEMPO selection, will this allow me to set the Delay Time for the button press before the POV switches ?
Or is it a Pre-Defined/Determined time period ?

I hope this question makes sense.
I am SnowTiger.
Hear Me ROAR !

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Tue Jul 24, 2018 19:40

If I recall correctly yes there is a setting available for the tempo. But I think it might just be one setting for all use of tempo not per button.

That was described in the software manual. I'm not where I can look for it right now though.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Victorus

Postby Victorus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 19:54

rtrski wrote:That was described in the software manual.

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/controller_2_10_En.pdf
Controller user guide. Questions are welcome!
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”