Gunfighter Basic Troubleshooting and Calibration

Moderator: AdminGroup

rrohde

Gunfighter Basic Troubleshooting and Calibration

Postby rrohde » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07

Gunfighter Basic Troubleshooting and Calibration Guide

GETTING STARTED:
You need to download a few of things to get started:
1. VKBdevCfg software, used to calibrate the stick (amongst other things): http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKBDev ... 80_8_9.zip and extract it.
2. If you have the TM Warthog grip, you should download the TM Warthog profile:
http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Profiles/BlackBo ... _79_99.zip
3. You also might want to download the default KG12 grip profile if you want to go back to it in the future:
http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Profiles/BlackBo ... _79_99.zip
4. For testing joystick axes, and re-centering of your Gunfighter, you might want to grab the VKBjoyster, too: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKB_JoyTester.zip
5. Extract all downloaded .zip files somewhere.

BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING:

Question: My grip buttons don’t seem to work:
Answer: Reboot your PC; if the issue still persists, continue below.
- If your grip’s buttons don’t seem to work (either KG12 or TM Warthog), you might want to have a look at that little orange box called BlackBox - does the Stick LED flash red? If so, that would indicate that the grip is not fully seated on the Gunfighter base and there is no communication between the base and the grip. Please check that. If needed, re-seat the grip with a little more force; there shouldn't be a gap between the grip and the base for the connection to work right.
- If there is no flashing red LED, but your TM Warthog grip’s buttons don’t seem to work, you have to check the VKB grip adapter inside the TM Warthog grip again: did you connect the adapter to the TM Warthog’s PCB board? Did you by chance pinch or break any wires when putting the grip halves back together initially? If the latter is the case, this might require a replacement adapter.

GRIP CONFIGURATION AND CALIBRATION:

VKBdevCfg:
The first thing you need to do is calibrate your Gunfighter correctly (never from the Windows device manager, only from VKBdevCfg):

GETTING READY:
1. Run VKBdevCfg as Admin
2. From the Settings tab, enable Expert mode by checking the respective check box
3. Restart VKBdevCfg as Admin again

TROUBLESHOOTING VKBdevCFG:
Question: I am getting a “Device cannot be opened” message upon trying to run VKBdevCfg. What does this mean?
Answer: Re-run VKBdevCfg as Admin, and ensure that no other gaming device software is running in the background; it seems that some of those (e.g., Logitech, Saitek, or RAZR gaming mouse software) ‘blocks’ the VKB devices from communicating; please disable these other tools for the time being

INSTALL THE DESIRED GRIP PROFILE:
1. Extract the .zip file for your profile (either TM Warthog or KG12)
2. From within the VKBdevCfg software, click on the VKBsim Black Box GF device to activate it
3. From the Action tab, click on “Load” and point the software to the Profile you've extracted earlier
4. From the Action tab, click on “Set”; the new profile will be activated and the VKBdevCfg software restarts your Gunfighter
5. Next – Calibration (see below)

CALIBRATION:
1. From within VKBdevCfg, click on the VKBsim Black Box GF device to activate it
2. Click the ‘Start Calibr’ button, and then move your Gunfighter’s grip to all extents: full left, full right, full forward, full back.
3. Click the ‘End Calibr’ button.
4. Done!

Question: My Gunfighter’s grip seems to lean to the right, is this normal?
Answer: Yes. That slight lean is normal with any gimbal design that uses one cam per axis. This cam loading (or the slight angle off) is compensated for by the Gunfighters MCU (micro controller unit) and does not affect the returning of the axis to dead-center within 0.01 degrees. The VKB MaRS (magnetic resonance) sensor finds the center of the stick after calibrating at the cam level, not at the grip level, and is thus always precise - there is no need to 'fix' anything. It's meant to operate like that.

(WE WILL ADD MORE CONTENT TO THIS AS THE NEED ARISES)
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Tibsun

Re: Gunfighter Basic Troubleshooting and Calibration

Postby Tibsun » Fri May 12, 2017 0:17

rrohde wrote:Question: My Gunfighter’s grip seems to lean to the right, is this normal?
Answer: Yes. That slight lean is normal with any gimbal design that uses one cam per axis. This cam loading (or the slight angle off) is compensated for by the Gunfighters MCU (micro controller unit) and does not affect the returning of the axis to dead-center within 0.01 degrees. The VKB MaRS (magnetic resonance) sensor finds the center of the stick after calibrating at the cam level, not at the grip level, and is thus always precise - there is no need to 'fix' anything. It's meant to operate like that.

I don't have a Gunfighter yet, but is there really no way to make this "lean right" more neutral?

I mean it's ok that it leans, but it should be central, if I let it go on the left side, it should lean left, if I let it go on the right side, it should lean right.

That all said without to adjust the dry clutch.

Can't there be the cam adjusted so it's lean is only towards the last position?

UIV
Мастер

Re: Gunfighter Basic Troubleshooting and Calibration

Postby UIV » Fri May 12, 2017 2:47

we talked about "a little leaning". But this does not prevent the stick to return to the central position with high accuracy.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”