Star Citizen Mapping Help

Moderator: AdminGroup

Halleys_Trauma

Star Citizen Mapping Help

Postby Halleys_Trauma » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:59

I would like to start this thread so those either playing SC or thinking about a VKB purchase to do so have a resource

I bought my Gladiator mainly for SC.

Here is a helpful link/download for a very useful program if anyone is considering using a Gladiator in SC

http://joytokey.net/en/

It's free but you can donate.

JoyToKey will allow you to assign your keyboard keys including mouse functions to your VKB joystick buttons. If you have a HOTAS throttle set up it will also work there . Mapping keyboard keys directly to your Gladiator allows you to take advantage of all SC's Alt combos. An example would be I have T mapped to L hat in one of the 4 VKB modes and it now serves another function when I press the key I have "Left Alt" mapped to (A1 or key3 for now). I also have my Missile lock and fire which in SC was mapped to the Middle Mouse button on the keyboard but required two buttons in the joystick map. It is now one button I hold to lock and press again to fire.

You should clear any joystick buttons mapped in SC that you have mapped to the keyboard in JoyToKey. You can use both maps at the same time but if things are not working property this is where you want to check. If it's mapped to a keyboard key it's best to not have that button mapped in the SC joystick map at all. Its now mapped in the keyboard mapping as far as SC is concerned

JoyToKey must be run as an Admin too and before you launch SC. After I installed it I closed it using the task manager and restart it as an Admin then fire up SC. I also turn it off with Task manager. It doesn't turn off and is not seen as a start up item.

Currently I am only playing with a VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II as I wait to see what VKB's throttle looks like.

Please feel free to reply to my comments, ask questions or add help

Thx

azmodiuz

Re: Star Citizen Mapping Help

Postby azmodiuz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09

Thank you for sharing, this seems very useful. I just purchased a Gunfighter base, and I'm sure in the future I will need this program your mentioning, for playing SC.

Are there any other tips or tricks for using these in SC ?

Do you have any feedback comparing these gimbals to others from other vendors ? (just interested to know more, from a SC player perspective)

Silas Farseer

Postby Silas Farseer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 18:19

This program, while useful for some, shouldn't need to be used to run in SC.

Macross

Postby Macross » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:06

Aggree.

And what i have understanded, VKB device config can do same thing, so no need to use 3rd party software. ( Dont have used yet myself, those couple gladiator buttons are enough atm in star citizen :) )

azmodiuz

Postby azmodiuz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36

So these joysticks don;t come with any software to configure the buttons ? You just map them via the automatic joystick config built into windows ?

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”