Changing SEM flaps from 3 detents to 4

Moderator: AdminGroup

Grumble

Changing SEM flaps from 3 detents to 4

Postby Grumble » Fri Apr 29, 2022 20:43

Hi.

As per the above, I would like to change the flaps control on my GNX-SEM from the current 3 detents to 4.

It is set up as digital at the moment with three detents. The top position activates button 61, middle is button 59 and bottom (all the way down) is button 58. Button 60 is currently not active / recognised. In MSFS it is bound as follows:

Top (Button 61) - Retract Flaps
Middle (Button 59) - Flaps 1
Down (Button 58) - Flaps 2

I am experimenting with more and bigger aircraft, so I would like to change it to 4 detents, envisaging the mapping would be as follows:

Top (Button 61) - Retract Flaps
1st Detent (Button 60) - Flaps 1
2nd Detent (Button 59) - Flaps 2
Down (Button 58) - Flaps 3

Is it possible to do this just via the config software, or do I have to put the SEM into setup mode as per the software video, and tell it I am using 4 detents instead of three? The module is currently in the middle of my GNX / SEM / THQ / FSM setup, so I would prefer not to have to take it all apart and I would also like to avoid if possible having to default reset the whole thing. Can I change the setup of the SEM on it's own to make the desired change, while it is still connected to the Gladiator and the THQ? If it is possible in the software, could you lay out the steps required?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

fallout9

Re: Changing SEM flaps from 3 detents to 4

Postby fallout9 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 0:06

Disconnect the unit from USB,
press and hold buttons B1, B2 and B3 on the SEM,
reconnect to USB,
release the 3 buttons,
press the B3 button,
press C1 button to save changes,
this should do it.

Grumble

Postby Grumble » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:21

Hi Fallout, and thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I tried the exact steps you suggested, which is the same as in the software guide video. After pressing the C1 button on the SEM all of the LED's on that module went off, and on the GNX base I had a blinking blue LED and a fast blinking red LED. In the config tool the SEM was not recognised, but the FSM and THQ did show up OK. I restarted the pc and the config tool, went to test the buttons and no 60 still did not seem to be working. I selected the decive at the top of the screen and tried to calibrate and then 'set' it, but then got an error message that the USB device was not recognised.

I restarted the pc again and the device was now recognised but only as the GNX by itself, none of the other modules showed up at all. I tried reverting to the 'Default' button then 'Find and Configure' and again got the error that the USB device was not recognised.

I restarted the pc again and this time the whole device was recognised correctly, although I had of course lost X, Y and Z curves due to using the Default and reconfigure options. All the LED's worked as expected and I was able to calibrate the device, reset my preferred curves and save all the changes. It works again, but the activation of button 60 has not worked, so I only have 3 digital buttons on the flaps axis but 4 physical detents.

Is this because of using the 'Default' then 'Find and Configure' options? I am 100% certain that I followed the simple steps you listed (and the video) correctly, but it went wrong as soon as I pressed C1 on the SEM. Is there another step I should have taken at that point?

Thank you.

Grumble

Postby Grumble » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:50

Hi again. Thankfully this is now resolved.

Following exactly the step listed below the reference to A1 button is missing, and I now realise I inadvertently changed the SEM's sub-address instead of the axis I wanted.

After releasing the B1, B2 and B3 buttons, I needed to additionally press A1 to get it to look at the flaps axis. Doing this again and button 60 is now working, so I have the 4 detents and buttons working as I wished.

This does mean that the SEM is now showing as sub-address 4 whereas the other modules are all sub-address 1. Does this make any difference to anything? Should I change the SEM back to 1, or can it stay as it is?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 13:26

For some reason I missed mentioning about the A1 button, sorry for that :(, but glad you got it working.
Don't worry about the Subaddress, as long as there's no other SEM with the same Subaddress in the system, then all's good.

Grumble

Postby Grumble » Sat Apr 30, 2022 13:40

Thank you for your patience and help, as always.

I missed the A1 button too - easily done, but easily resolved in the end. I watched the video again and realised straight away where I'd gone wrong.

Thanks too for the reassurance on sub-addresses, and in general to you and the whole team at VKB who design, make and support this amazing gear, it really is very much appreciated and enjoyed!

Kind regards,
G.

Return to “Manuals and Howtos”