STECS STEM & UCM

Moderator: AdminGroup

Stonehenge

STECS STEM & UCM

Postby Stonehenge » Sun Jan 21, 2024 17:40

I would be interested in the new STECS, but only under certain circumstances:
I decided in favour of the UCM years ago. And I was honestly speculating on a certain modularity. NOT in terms of joysticks and throttle, but in terms of these "external modules". Like this STECS STEM! So the STECS Mini would simply be too big for me in terms of depth. It just wouldn't fit in my space. But the functions would probably be too small for me if it were just the Mini. And now to my actual question:
I would really like this STECS STEM as an extension! But I would like to have this module mounted on my UCM. So I would like to remove one of the blocks and use this module instead! I would actually celebrate THAT!!! THEN I could just mount the STECS Mini on the left, but would still have this module, just in a much better place :D Is NOTHING really to be expected in this respect? :(

Ron61

Re: STECS STEM & UCM

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 20:12

You can try making a cable to connect the STEM module installed on the UCM. Naturally, installation and manufacturing will be your responsibility, such as your own modernization, DIY. Need JST 1.25 8 pin. This installation was not planned and the results of the work are unknown, but it should work.
Stecs to Stem.jpg

Delta

Postby Delta » Tue Jan 23, 2024 14:30

I am getting confused by both your posts. I think one of the minis was supposed to be a standard or max.

The mounted config of the Max, as seen in some photos of the UCM, shows how much more compact a STECS can get if the STEM is not attached directly to the STECS base (via standard base plate or MFH. All that is required is a STEM with back cover (standalone purchase, Max bundle or Standard bundle plus separate back cover) and a long Type-C bus cable.

Do note that ATEM, if used, must be attached to the STECS base, not the vertical STEM. Attaching ATEM in any place other than immediately aft of the STECS base will require custom-fabricated cables as seen in Ron's post. I have done that (see here), and let me tell you, those 1.25 mm connectors are a pain to hand-crimp with generic crimping pliers.

Side note: The connector used for ATEM is a Molex PicoBlade. While it looks very similar to JST connectors and frequently mislabelled as such, the only 1.25 mm connector designed and manufactured by J.S.T. is the JST-GH connector, which is used for grip connections and button modules on STECS, and for grip connections on GNX.

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59

That makes me quite sad. I am a craftsman, but more in the rough direction;-) So I really wouldn't trust myself with such a "project". And I think it's a real shame that the potential of the UCM wasn't taken into account. Because in my opinion, the UCM is predestined for such "extensions"....

Delta

Postby Delta » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:16

Just for the record, if it is only the STEM you want to make vertical and not the ATEM, that ought to be rather straightforward with a STECS Max mount. Might need a STEM back cover if you bought the standard.

this setup requires no custom fabrication:

Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44

Which cable do you use to link the STECS to the STEM ?

I would like to have that kind of configuration, but USB C cable doesn't work.

Return to “Official announcements”