VKB HOTAS. Phase One.

Moderator: AdminGroup

AeroGator

VKB HOTAS. Phase One.

Postby AeroGator » Wed Jul 19, 2023 16:50

As you can see, something has changed on the way from blueprints to mass production.
Name.
TECS turned into STECS.

1 - throttle.jpg

TWIN ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM has effectively become Single|Twin Engine Control System.
Here is why. Left and right grips can be used separately as well as in one, in case you don’t need differential thrust. Moreover, as this throttle is built following VKB modular principle, it wouldn’t be a big surprise to soon see a replace mono grip.
Let’s see what STECS is made of.

2 - STECS.jpg

1 – Base
Base as a module sports:
• Axis – 2 (blockable in one), on contactless MaRS (magnetic-resistance sensors)
• 4 Ball bearings on main axes
• Glass-reinforced plastic in all loaded structural parts
• Independent adjustable clutches on both axes
• Button – 2
• 5-position rotary switch – 1

2 – Left Grip aka MTG-L, or Modern Throttle Grip Left
• Button – 2
• Trigger – 2
• Wheel encoder – 2

3 – Right Grip aka MTG-R, or Modern Throttle Grip Right
• Trigger – 2
• Analog Ministick – 1
• Analog Wheel Axis – 1
• Button – 1
• Button Module* – 5

4 – ATEM aka Auxiliary Throttle Extension Module

3 - ATEM_1800.jpg

• Button – 4
• Safety lid protected button – 2
• Multifunctional 4-position encoder with a central press – 1

5 – STEM aka Standard Throttle Extension Module

4 - STEM.jpg

• Button – 8
• K-switch (3-button) – 2
• Encoder with a press – 2
• Self-centering 3-position flip switch – 1
• 3-position flip switch – 1
___ ___ ___
* Button Module

5 - STECS_button.jpg

There are 3 different interchangeable Button Modules
• long-travel button
• 3-pos hat
• 4-pos hat with a press (5-pos hat)
(the latter one comes with caps of different shapes for better tactile differentiation)
Replacing the module is pretty straightforward. The on-board controller detects and configures the new module automatically.
___ ___ ___

Phase One STECS base is equipped with a well-engineered and user-friendly system of detents that can be easily installed within a minute or two.
Detents are made of durable metal alloy. There are 5 different types of detents:
• L-shape – unidirectional regular, and unidirectional large. creates a step on one side of the lever movement.
• V-shape – bi-directional regular, and bi-directional large. Creates a step on both sides of the lever movement.
• M-shape – bi-directional with a centering indent.

Detents are fixed to a special frame (detent holder) with one screw and a special nut. For your convenience these frames are color-coded. After fixing the detent, all you need to do is rotate the multi-positional switch till the LED indicator shines right color (say, you fixed the detent to a blue frame, then keep rotating the switch till the LED shines blue). Done! The controller will automatically load the profile you configured for “blue” detent.
In other words. You changed the aircraft (or even switched to a different game). Replace the frame, dial in the right color, boom! – your profile is loaded. Fly and enjoy in less than one minute.

This is what makes the difference, you see.
Many commercially available throttles are designed, and ergonomically optimized, for use with a certain type of flying machines. However, STECS offers a more universal solution thanks to its modularity and customizability.
Needless to say, STECS is compatible with GNX EVO extension modules.
___ ___ ___
We gave our full attention to tactile feeling of this control device. Soft and comfy replaceable rubber inserts reduce slipperiness of naked material and ensure better grip. Same goes about encoder wheels and buttons: all of them have rubberized inserts.
Smooth and non-sticky movement of the throttle axes is supported by adjustable independent clutches.
Combining this multitude of modules, you can create hundreds of different configurations for your own personal needs.
However, for your convenience, and to save time, we prepared 4 STECS versions based of functionality and price (needless to say, modules can be bought separately, and any version can be upgraded to whatever you want it to be).

STECS MINI

6 - STECS_Mini_1800.jpg

• Made to be used on a holder, or to be built in a chair or cockpit. Due to its lightweight aluminum base needs to be fixed to the desk top if you use it as a desktop standalone device (for that the base has 4 holes).
Configuration:
• STECS base
• MTG-L
• MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 4; 5-pos Hat – 1)
• Gray rubber grip pads
• Detent Frame – 1
• L-shape detent regular – 1
• L-shape detent large – 1
• V-shape detent regular – 1
• V-shape detent large – 1

PLEASE NOTE: as this version is designed mainly to be built-in or to be fixed on holders, it does NOT have fixtures to mechanically connect frontal extension modules with MFH (MultiFunctional Holder).

STECS MINI PLUS

7 - STECS_Mini_Plus_1800.jpg

Based on a solid steel platform. Can be used as a desktop standalone device, as well as on holders. Has MFH-compatible fixtures to connect frontal extension modules.

Configuration:
• STECS base
• MTG-L
• MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 4; 5-pos Hat – 1)
• Gray rubber grip pads
• Detent Frame – 1
• L-shape detent regular – 1
• L-shape detent large – 1
• V-shape detent regular – 1
• V-shape detent large – 1
• ATEM module

STECS STANDARD

8 - STECS_Standard_1800.jpg

Based on a solid steel platform (fixing holes compatible with that of TM HOTAS Warthog). Can be used as a desktop standalone device, as well as on holders. Has MFH-compatible fixtures to connect frontal extension modules.

Configuration:
• STECS base
• MTG-L
• MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 2; 3-pos Hat – 1; 5-pos Hat – 2)
• Additional Button Modules included in the kit: Button – 3; 5-pos Hat – 3; replaceable hat caps - 3
• Red rubber grip pads (pre-installed)
• Green, Gray rubber pads included in the kit
• Detent Frame – 5
• L-shape detent regular – 4
• L-shape detent large – 4
• V-shape detent regular – 5
• V-shape detent large – 5
• M-shape – 2
• STEM module

STECS MAX

9 - STECS Max.jpg

Based on a solid steel platform. Can be used as a desktop standalone device, as well as on holders. MFH to connect a frontal extension module included in the kit.

Configuration:
• STECS base
• MTG-L
• MTG-R (pre-configured Button Modules: Button – 2; 3-pos Hat – 1; 5-pos Hat – 2)
• Additional Button Modules included in the kit: Button – 3; 5-pos Hat – 3; replaceable hat caps - 3
• Red rubber grip pads (pre-installed)
• Green, Gray rubber pads included in the kit
• Detent Frame – 5
• L-shape detent regular – 4
• L-shape detent large – 4
• V-shape detent regular – 5
• V-shape detent large – 5
• M-shape – 2
• ATEM module
• STEM module (to be installed on MFH on the front of the device)

But like we said, modularity rules… so nothing will be able to stop you from buying small, and adding up to your setup step by step. (nothing except express mail fees! so keep this in mind please). All modules, rubber inserts, detents and detent frames will be available separately, too.

STAY ORGANIZED

10 - STECS_1800_05.jpg

Large number of small parts can lead to a nightmarish situation when you need to find a detent, and…. you know. We thought about it. STECS Accessory Magazine will take it off your shoulders. All your button modules, detent frames, detents, will be neatly stored and always ready to serve exactly where you put them. STECS Accessory Magazine is included in STECS Standard and STECS Max kits.

Now, the prose of life. PRICES!

RRP:
- STECS MINI $199
- STECS MINI PLUS $219
- STECS STANDARD $279
- STECS MAX $319

Availability: AUGUST, 2023. (although most of our patent applications are already approved we still need one to get properly registered; it won’t stop the show but due procedure has to be followed)
Now that you know pretty much everything about STECS, you might be wondering, What Joystick would be a perfect match? – and there is something we have to say, as we have just got done with another chunk of work…

GUNFIGHTER IV is here.

11 - STECS_1800_07.jpg

Gunfighter III was around for almost 4 years, and all this time we were collecting feedback and suggestions.
We’ve worked on it, and added a few improvements to the design.

Gunfighter IV looks just like Gunfighter III, the difference is under the hood.
1. New generation clutch. No stiction soft start, and extra smooth movement.
2. Spring pre-tighteners. Before, the load was determined by the spring you had to install; now you have a lot more wide, yet precise control over it.
3. Blackbox Mk3. This is a new version of our powerful external controller. Increased frequency and on-board firmware algorithms drastically boosted productivity. The controller became truly intelligent.
Unlike before, when different external devices required flashing the Blackbox with different firmware, now it automatically detects connected devices and configures them.
4. New type of the connector (Rev. C) between the base and the grip. Its round shape allows rotation of the grip without the risk of damaging the contacts. Gold-plated contacts provide extended longevity.

12 - STECS_1800_01.jpg

Current Gunfighter III owners are not left behind though; two upgrade for them will soon be rolled out:
• Connector replacement kit, and
• Full upgrade kit GF III -> GF IV

13 - GF.jpg

Availability:
• USA – end of July 2023
• EU – on arrival of the sea shipment (already on the way); airlift option is also open;
• Australia, South Korea – shipments have already begun.

So…. Here is a full HOTAS set from VKB. If you want to know more about VKB products, please visit our Youtube channel. We believe it will bring you enjoyment beyond comparison, because with VKB this Universe is yours.

14 - STECS_1800_03.jpg

https://youtu.be/BSCV8kapYtI
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Juicebag85

Re: VKB HOTAS. Phase One.

Postby Juicebag85 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 17:15

Wonderful. Very exciting. :)

But I don't understand the detent system. So there will be no electronic detents but they will be switchable?
And for what are those colored detent things? Can I also buy them all if I only get the MiniPlus? (Standard is too big for my table and I already got a SEM)

I think it would be the best if you could explain the detent system in a video.

Thank you.

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Wed Jul 19, 2023 17:38

I will

Sniv

Postby Sniv » Wed Jul 19, 2023 17:39

Great!

Question: can I mount my spare ministick module from MCGU on STECS and will it act as a ministick?

Papey

Postby Papey » Wed Jul 19, 2023 17:43

Hi,
can you confirm where to order the upgrade kit from in Aus (noting your comment re already shipping) - the VKB Aus store doesnt list this item yet.

Also, is there a UCM horizontal mount for the STECS standard/STECS max available for purchase on release of the STECS? I had previously purchased the UCM mousepad variant in anticipation of the TECS.

Thanks - and great work! So excited to finally fly HOTAS

KPX

Postby KPX » Wed Jul 19, 2023 18:22

Hello,
Will it be possible to upgrade MGC Ultimate to Gunfighter MK IV ?

Have a nice day.

J.

LukeFF

Postby LukeFF » Wed Jul 19, 2023 19:04

KPX wrote:Hello,

Yes, of course it will. The MCG Ultimate is a MK III model.

LukeFF

Postby LukeFF » Wed Jul 19, 2023 19:07

Looks great, but I want something that is more useful for GA/warbird planes. Hopefully, that is what AeroGator meant in the first post by "it wouldn’t be a big surprise to soon see a replace mono grip."

Until then, I will likely continue on with my current setup.

UncleStains

Postby UncleStains » Wed Jul 19, 2023 19:54

Looks awesome, I'll definitely be preordering the STECS Max!

One question: are the safety lids on the ATEM assignable game or are they just covers for the buttons? I'd love to use this for the APU cover and start button on the DCS Apache.

Coros

Postby Coros » Wed Jul 19, 2023 20:00

Hi!

Looks awsome! I instantly upgrade my MKIII when it available! Grip connectors will compatible with the new Rev C. stuff ?

Kreutzberg

Postby Kreutzberg » Wed Jul 19, 2023 21:01

Looks great! I see that the STECS Standard say that the mounting plate is compatible with the TM Warthog. Is that true for the other configurations? I'd also be very interested in all the dimensions. Thanks!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 23:27

Sniv wrote:Great!

Question: can I mount my spare ministick module from MCGU on STECS and will it act as a ministick?

Sorry, no; they're not swappable. There is a similar ministick on STECS, on thumb finger, but different shape.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 23:30

KPX wrote:Hello,

Have a nice day.

J.

Yes, by swapping the connector or the wires inside.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 23:32

Coros wrote:Hi!

Looks awsome! I instantly upgrade my MKIII when it available! Grip connectors will compatible with the new Rev C. stuff ?

You'll need either a new connector or a kit to swap the boards and cable inside the connector by yourself.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 23:33

Kreutzberg wrote:Looks great! I see that the STECS Standard say that the mounting plate is compatible with the TM Warthog. Is that true for the other configurations? I'd also be very interested in all the dimensions. Thanks!

The Standard version fits the WH's mounting holes.
We'll publish the measurements soon.

Return to “Official announcements”