Build Your Own Flight Control System with GNX Modular Product Line

Moderator: AdminGroup

OldGangster

Re: Build Your Own Flight Control System with GNX Modular Product Line

Postby OldGangster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40

Thank you for telling me, but I prefer the vertical SEM for the flaps and gear position.
I never talked about the MFH as I'm a DIY man and will place the devices exactly where I want/need with my own mounts :wink:
But anyway your second answer proves you think about users satisfaction.
Great thanks for this, I think everybody will appreciate as I do.

Aplato

Postby Aplato » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:59

I'm excited about these products and would like to get a number of them, but I must say it's quite confusing to understand how they all connect to each other and which accessories I need to purchase to make it all work.

I already have a Gladiator NXT and would like to add the following:

• 1 Front switchboard module (FSM)
  • 1 Side extension module (SEM) - not vertical
  • 1 Throttle quadrant (THQ) - not vertical

To support this, I believe I need to buy the following in addition:

• 1 Multi-functional holder (MFH)
  • 1 USB controller (HID-Main)
  • 2 BUS (Type-C)-(Type-C) interface cables - (side note, is there any reason I'd want the (Type-C)-(JST2.0-4) cables instead? Are they interchangeable and serve the same purpose?)
  • 1 Module to Gladiator NXT base (R) reinforcing plate
  • 1 Intermodular reinforcing plate

Is that all correct? Is there anything I'm missing or adding unnecessarily? If I want to have the NXT on the right followed by the throttle quadrant and side extension module on the left with the vertical mount behind one of the two side modules (undecided which), am I getting the correct reinforcing plates and cables?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Last edited by Aplato on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:13, edited 1 time in total.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:00

OldGangster wrote:Thank you for telling me, but I prefer the vertical SEM for the flaps and gear position.
I never talked about the MFH as I'm a DIY man and will place the devices exactly where I want/need with my own mounts :wink:
But anyway your second answer proves you think about users satisfaction.
Great thanks for this, I think everybody will appreciate as I do.

Then you should be fine with mounts/cockpit. Just keep in mind the BUS cables are pretty short (about 22cm), so if you want the modules distanced on your setup it would make sense to get GNX-HID controllers for everything that's out of reach; each GNX-HID controller would also mean an extra device to your setup, just to let you know in case you have lots of other devices plugged in (and I'm sure you have).
Thank you for your very kind answer :)

OldGangster

Postby OldGangster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18

Héhé, I've ordered two GNX USB modules just in case...
If necessary, soldering some wires to lengthen a cable is not something that afraid me :D
And yes I already have a lot of devices connected, but rudder pedals and THQ will replace the actual ones.
For the FSM it will replace my DIY A/P box based on a LeoBodnar interface but only if it gives me the same easy use. But I must say esthetically the FSM is far better than my own box ! :mrgreen:
At least only the SEM will be an addition.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:20

Aplato wrote:I already have a Gladiator NXT and would like to add the following:

• 1 Front switchboard module (FSM)
  • 1 Side extension module (SEM) - not vertical
  • 1 Throttle quadrant (THQ) - not vertical

To support this, I believe I need to buy the following in addition:

• 1 Multi-functional holder (MFH)
  • 1 USB controller (HID-Main)
  • 2 BUS (Type-C)-(Type-C) interface cables - (side note, is there any reason I'd want the (Type-C)-(JST2.0-4) cables instead? Are they interchangeable and serve the same purpose?)
  • 1 Module to Gladiator NXT base (R) reinforcing plate
  • 1 Intermodular reinforcing plate

You would need the 3 modules, the MFH and 1 GNX HID controller. You'll install the FSM on top of MFH and connect it to the THQ by the Type-C to Type-C BUS cable (included in FMS package). The THQ will get connected to SEM by JST to JST BUS cable (included in both modules' package). The SEM will get upgrade with the GNX HID Controller so it could get connected to USB port. Good to go :)

Jammer007

Postby Jammer007 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:45

Hi. I just ordered the SEM which I’m going to attach directly to the left side of my GNXT Premium. I also ordered the GNX HID USB Controller. But now after reading most of theses posts, I’m not sure if I ordered the correct secondary parts.

A. Do I need the USB Controller?
B. Do I need any cables that are not already included with the SEM?
C. Do I need the GNX Base Reinforcing plate if I’m using the GNXT on my desktop?
I appreciate how quickly you’re responding to all of the posts.

JC

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:13

You don't need anything else other than the module and its included parts. With a GNX HID controller you would be only able to use the SEM as an independent device, but it won't work on the same device with the Gladiator NXT. So you're good with only the standard set.

Jammer007

Postby Jammer007 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I’ll keep the GNX HID Controller since it’s already ordered in case I decide to use the SEM separate from the GNXT.

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:39

I would be interested if it would be possible to mount GNX FSM-GA also to the UCM. Since the TECS is still waiting, would that be an alternative? So that THQ and the FSM-GA vertically united on the UCM? Would that be possible?

Mr WHIMington

Postby Mr WHIMington » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50

Is it possible to mount it on the Stronghold ? I mean, is the fastener holes anywhere close enough to be compatible?

Also I think it would be better if there is more detail on which input on each module counts as an axis to save everyone the guess work when it comes to how many USB HID controller thingy people will needed on their setups.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:25

Stonehenge wrote:I would be interested if it would be possible to mount GNX FSM-GA also to the UCM. Since the TECS is still waiting, would that be an alternative? So that THQ and the FSM-GA vertically united on the UCM? Would that be possible?

Technically yes, but only with new UCM brackets with holes (no release date yet). Or you could drill your own holes in your brackets if you don't want to wait. Works for the SEM and THQ; for FSM you'll have to wait for the official solution or get creative, as its holes are too far from each other for the UCM brackets.
SEM, THQ and the Gladiator NXT could get attached to each other, but not the FSM, which is an independent module.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29

Mr WHIMington wrote:Is it possible to mount it on the Stronghold ? I mean, is the fastener holes anywhere close enough to be compatible?

Also I think it would be better if there is more detail on which input on each module counts as an axis to save everyone the guess work when it comes to how many USB HID controller thingy people will needed on their setups.

Please check my response above about attaching the modules to the UCM system.
Not sure what you're asking in the second part of the message. If it's unclear how many axes are on the modules then, according to the official announcement, there are 2 axes on the SEM, 3 on the THQ and none on the FSM-GA.

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49

Aha! Does this mean that this was or is planned in any case?
Then there is the all-important question: What is the probability of coming sooner? The TECS or the right attachments?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:58

If it'd be to gamble on it, I'd put my money on the UCM adapters :))))

Kanok

Postby Kanok » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:31

So sad that AliExpress still not listed.

Return to “Official announcements”