VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Moderator: AdminGroup

AeroGator

VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby AeroGator » Thu Jan 28, 2021 13:18

DSC07235.jpg

Somewhere we heard a word that the community is getting impatient about the throttle.
Somewhere we heard a word that the community needs a reliable, universal, user-friendly throttle.
Plus, we knew without anyone telling us that the community needs it for a sane price.
Here the quest began.

First thing, we were not aiming at producing a throttle somewhat better than that of other manufacturers.

Because, detents.

Because, mending and enhancing an outdated-at-birth system would be a waste in a situation when the market was screaming for a radically new solution (teaser; more below).

TL/DR: Picture is not a 3d model but a physical photo of a devkit; Real base will be different from the picture due to secrecy; Virus took its toll; TECS is not going to be released by end of lunar year; TECS is entering production stage; TECS is a radically new device offering a bunch of new-standard-setting features; If you can't wait for TECS now, we will see you later, anyway. "Booooo, arc design!!" - have patience, and read to the end. Rails are also coming.

More than a few prototypes were made, and more than a few solutions were tried and rejected. One thing however remained invariably: modularity. The user should be able to configure his own device to satisfy his very own needs. Hence, different base modules, an array of grips, interchangeable add-on modules, etc.
Here goes TECS.
Grips (module).

DSC07238.jpg

Ergonomics and dimensions closely follow those of Su-35 and Su-57 real life planes, only slightly retouched by our designers to optimize game simulator experience.
Not only grips are a separate module, but they also are built with modularity in mind. Let's look into it: right grip, top: interchangeable hat/ministick, same principle as in MCGU. Plus, interchangeable new optional modules: button/5-pos hat/3-pos hat. Plus, interchangeable different caps for all these modules.
No mess with replacing the modules: the grip onboard microcontroller will automatically determine its configuration, and will set up accordingly.
Hand feeling and ergonomics: the lip on the left grip will not let the hand slip off, while the lip on the right one doubles as a thumbrest, at the same time preventing the top row modules from getting accidentally hit.
Top surface sports soft rubber pads made the same way as those of MCGU; moreover - we did the same to the rolling surface of both left and right (pressable) encoder wheels.
Needless to say, both grips can be fixed in one with a reliable and sturdy lock.
LEFT grip controls:
encoder wheel - 1
button - 1
3-pos switch - 1
Interchangeable button module - 1
RIGHT grip controls:
pressable encoder wheel - 1
button - 1
interchangeable button module - 5
Hat/ministick module - 1

Enough about grips? - nearly so. Worth mentioning though that modern combat aviation grips will be released first, but civil aviation grips and their space sim cousins are slated to follow.

Moving on to the base (module).

DSC07239.jpg

Main axis dumpers conveniently located in the front of the casing.
Two additional levers working as axes or switches (similar to those in SEM).
These are nice things but not a breakthrough. The proper breakthrough comes right below....
ELECTRONIC detents. A landslide change of the rules of the game. We are turning the old page over.
Now: programmable detents. YOU will set detents position as well as their type (warning tactile click or hard limit, one- or two-way detent).
Electronic detents are now being patented. For this reason we cannot show the final design of the base here (but it exists already). Actual base will have a lot more controls than shown in the picture of the devkit, and we will sure flash it shortly before the device goes onto the shops' shelves.There is also one more thing up our sleeve that we are not going to elaborate here - but rest assured it will considerably expand the functionality and ergonomics of the base.
Advantages:
Mechanical detents bite out quite some working range of the main axis. One detent for idle, another for afterburn - oops, 10-15% of the range gone (due to dead zone in the neighborhood of the detent). Electronic detents will spare much of this waste.
Subtle movement around the detent point are hard to manage in mech detent system. Electronic detents cancel this problem altogether: they have practically zero width, and deactivate momentarily.
Mechanical detents have to be strong. In the heat of the combat it is so easy to smash the grips into the limit. Electronic detent will detect overload, and will deactivate automatically.
Electronic detents' force can be adjusted.
The last, the sweetest: electronic detent settings are stored in the TECS controller. You switch the aircraft, or move on to a different game - just flip a switch on the base to choose different detent settings, easy as this. Forget screwing with mechanicals, and readjusting dead zones, leave them to history. Moreover, we're going to provide the APIs to game designers, so that the games would automatically set necessary detents. Not bad, we believe.

DSC07246.jpg

OK, versions? Prices?
1 - ARC STANDARD. Grips like in the picture, but with considerably more controls on the base, with "classic" mechanical detents. However, as electronic detents are now entering the market, we feel unfair to ask anything more than 200 bucks for such construction. Hence, RRP = 200 USD.
- WHY ARC???? We were waiting for RAILS!!! THAT'S WHAT YOU PROMISED!!!
- ARC is what is used in real aviation. We held extensive consultations with active pilots and engineers working for real aviation corporations. Even conservative Russian aircraft makers such as MIG and Sukhoi turned to arc throttles. However, if we promised, we deliver. Read to the end.

DSC07226.jpg

2 - ARC PREMIUM. Electronic detents and a couple of outstandingly sweet extras. RRP US$ 350-400.
3 - RAIL. Only offered as PREMIUM. All the same as ARC PREMIUM, except linear movt. This version will be released the last due to extra complex detent solution for such layout. RRP US$ 400-450.

- CAN I plug additional modules that I already have into TECS?

DSC07236.jpg

- Ja, ja. Naturlich. GNX external modules, as well as external panels VKB will produce specifically for TECS will be supported by the device. Just plug them into front panel jacks. See the picture, it is something like TECS+FSM modern combat DIY modification based on the fantasy of our engineer.

- STOP. ENOUGH TALKING. SHUT UP ALREADY. TAKE MY....

- STOP it, too. 2020 wasn't the best of all years. No one needs explanation, or does anyone? VKB had our share of losses, some irreparable. We're keeping our bereavement private; please spare us from prodding. For more than a year some of our key engineers cannot come to China, and not everything can be done online. China cancelled many previously issued working visas. Still, we are pushing ahead. TECS is coming. Next announcement will be about the official launch of the so long awaited throttle. When time comes.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

dburne

Re: VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby dburne » Thu Jan 28, 2021 15:11

Looking very nice! Really interesting on the programmable electronic detents and three models of the unit.

PiotrMKG

Postby PiotrMKG » Thu Jan 28, 2021 15:16

Could You send mounting dimensions and/or other imporant things to Monstertech so they could start making mounting plate for it? 8)

OiseanTech

Postby OiseanTech » Thu Jan 28, 2021 18:10

Best wishes to VKB and families that lost people this year. Delays are understandable during this time. Thank you for the updates and explanations. My Gladiator is on the way and my current Throttle works so I for one will be patient until the TECS is available.

KWard

Postby KWard » Thu Jan 28, 2021 19:28

muitlple interchangeable grips... dare I hope that means someday there will be accurate F-14 throttle grips to go with my accurate F-14 joystick?

OiseanTech wrote:Best wishes to VKB and families that lost people this year.

Also this.

Tektolnes

Postby Tektolnes » Thu Jan 28, 2021 20:59

Thanks for the update and best wishes to VKB during these tough times. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the info come with the official launch announcement.

For the official launch comms it would be great if we could also see how it'll work with the UCM Stronghold - especially the modular pieces that it looks like we'll be able to add.

aklambda

Postby aklambda » Thu Jan 28, 2021 21:11

It is glorious. I have been patient and waiting and it was absolutely worth it. I will wait for the Rail version as I really like to try it with the new detents. Thank you so much for this.

Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Thu Jan 28, 2021 21:37

I'm waiting the final design.

WelshZeCorgi

Postby WelshZeCorgi » Thu Jan 28, 2021 21:39

Same, currently only half the picture without seeing the final, ready-to-go base.

Drano

Postby Drano » Thu Jan 28, 2021 21:41

Great news! Thanks for pushing thru. Looking forward to the release.
Gunfighter MkI w/MkIII update + MCG-Pro Grip
Avia S Cams
2x #30A Springs
FW:v2.13F
Devconfig: v92.78
Zbootloader: v2.01

Asus Strix X570-E Gaming
Ryzen9 5800X3D
Asus Strix 3080 12GB
32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3600
EVGA G6 1000W
Reverb G2V2
Win10/64

faybs

Postby faybs » Thu Jan 28, 2021 22:44

Oh mama. This is going to be totally worth the wait. Swappable grips, software defined detents, choice between arc and linear, pluggable modules, and a sane pricetag. Congrats to the VKB design team, you guys are amazing.

Last but not least, condolences for your lost friends and family. Hang in there guys.

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Thu Jan 28, 2021 23:50

My condolences to everyone involved! It was, is and will unfortunately still be a difficult time and I wish the whole VKB team all the best for the future.
All the more amazing how you manage all of this anyway!

It is just great that you listen to us and also let us participate. I'm really looking forward to the final product. For me personally, you are amazing!

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:55

Am I correct in assuming that there will be a corresponding UCM in due course? Or even as a set? (especially for Europe)

hiro29nov

Postby hiro29nov » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11

First of all, I would like to express my condolences to everyone involved when I heard that there was a painful event.

And I would like to thank all those involved who have listened seriously to our selfish opinions and worked hard to make them happen, despite the difficult times.

By the way, when listening to the announcement, it seems that the rail type will not be released at the same time. Or do you plan to wait for the rail type to be completed and then release it at the same time?

In any case, the content of this announcement exceeded my expectations. Thank you.

Knightcrawler

Postby Knightcrawler » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48

I am so glad to hear this news. I have been checking probably every week for several months. For some reason, I had a strong feeling you were going to have a much better detent system than other compabies. Here is hoping your patent applications get approved smoothly and quickly! Also, am I right in understanding I will be able to change the grip on the throttle, without buying a whole new throttle? If so, that is wonderful as well! And as expected and wanted, you have a mini thumbstick. The clickable wheels are a nice touch, as well!

The electric detent is going to make transitioning between Star Wars Squadrons and Star Citizen so nice and easy! Hopefully we can get other high-quality flight sims and flying games soon.

The ability to link with the GNX system is also super-cool, and I may get a piece or two.

Would someone in this forum answer me what the deal is with the rails/arc argument? I have only ever owned a cheap sliding throttle. I hear sliding throttles (I guess rail throttles?) are more ergonomic, but I have a feeling I will arc throttles. And isn't an arc throttle the way throttles have always been traditionally? I don't understand why "even conservative aircraft makers are turning to arc throttles," when that is how throttles have been traditionally. I must be misunderstanding something!

I am sorry for your losses to Covid, VKB. I have been lucky to not lose anyone, but my sister probably wouldn't survive, so I am still very worried. My neighbor is a nurse and has told me some stories about how bad it has been, and I work in a hospital (in a lab, not with patients) so I have seen how much of an impact it has had. There is nothing I can say to make up for your losses, but I hope to rest of your friends and family stay safe.

Return to “Official announcements”