VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Moderator: AdminGroup

loitho

Re: VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby loitho » Fri May 28, 2021 21:53

People sure are quick to forget the amount of backlash that a lot of company have received when they did not meet their planned roadmap goals ...
GTA V is an example among other, do any of you guys remember the amount of trashtalking people did on rockstar because they had to push back the release date ?

Masque

Postby Masque » Fri May 28, 2021 22:09

rrohde wrote:Now the problem with announcing any kind of release date usually leads to this:

Any PLANNED estimate given by VKB HQ - which is also relayed on various forums and VKB partner sites, will be taken out of context by those who perceive them as a PROMISE to release on a guaranteed date. As we all know, a plan is not a promise, and an estimate is not a guarantee. If these estimates slip (whatever the reasons may be) and delays are instead announced, some people find tremendous joy in spreading damaging drivel about VKB online.

So what is VKB HQ to do?

What you describe is a much smaller problem than following up a post saying that these are in production with four — sorry, five now — months of silence.

And it's a problem that's well-covered in basic business communication classes. Yes, you'll always have unhappy customers. The dance is to avoid having as many as possible. Silence is fine – but that silence was broken with statements that heavily implied that delivery would be soon. Being in production for five months is a long time to not deliver a single unit. It is absolutely reasonable for them to explain the delay, and it's questionable that they haven't.

This is merely analysis; personally I'm happy to wait as long as it takes; no emotional attachment here. What I would like to see, what I hope to see, is VKB to communicate more thoroughly. The idea that having regular updates on status would cause people to dance gleefully around the fires of broken perceived promises is silly when compared to the idea of a development blog that talks vaguely about delays and their reasons. Customers ENJOY being engaged and feeling like they're along for the ride.

For material counterpoint, let me point you to innumerable Kickstarter projects which are YEARS behind schedule, but which are communicating regularly. Their backers have, well, their backs. Whereas the project that's silently two months late is endlessly pilloried.

QED.

Beazil

Postby Beazil » Sat May 29, 2021 2:05

Just waiting for the opportunity to go "full" VKB.

Knightcrawler

Postby Knightcrawler » Sat May 29, 2021 7:34

I want my throttle. I've been waiting to play Squadrons with it. But if they were ready, they would sell it to us. Covid isn't the only impedement. There are other issues that I could reasonably see interfering with the situation that I don't think it is appropriate to elaborate on in this forum. I am waiting because I think it will be the best Hotas for me.

Stonehenge

Postby Stonehenge » Sat May 29, 2021 14:45

Exactly :D

Nevertheless, I would like something like a sign of life :wink:

I've been waiting for> 5 years for the release of SQ42! I have no problem waiting any longer. The same applies here: quality over quantity 8)
However, communication there is a little more mature. In a way, you get regularly updated. And that without spoiling :wink:

rockdude14

Postby rockdude14 » Sun May 30, 2021 20:45

rrohde wrote:Now the problem with announcing any kind of release date usually leads to this:

Any PLANNED estimate given by VKB HQ - which is also relayed on various forums and VKB partner sites, will be taken out of context by those who perceive them as a PROMISE to release on a guaranteed date. As we all know, a plan is not a promise, and an estimate is not a guarantee. If these estimates slip (whatever the reasons may be) and delays are instead announced, some people find tremendous joy in spreading damaging drivel about VKB online.

So what is VKB HQ to do?

PS: I myself - like everybody else here - am looking very much forward to the TECS throttle when the time comes.

So why not just say nothing than? Dont tease anything, dont do a preview. Just wait until you are ready and release it?

You mention you dont want to release the wrong date and change it because people might get mad. However, you released a preview and then radio silence since then and people are mad... You got the same result, at least if you had went the first route and gave some timeline info you would have a chance of people not being upset if you hit the timeline or communicated delays well.

Of course people are going to be upset with delays. But its how your relay that information that will make that a lot less likely to happen. If you say its going to release in September and you want until sept 30th to say "no its actually going be March. People will be upset because its obvious you knew about that delay before and clearly dont care about the effect that has on your customers. If however in July the factory making the mold burns down and you say its going to be march people will be much more receptive and understanding.

This is coming from an engineer. I understand both sides. I've delayed schedules before, it sucks. However I would say this is certainly not a better way to avoid doing it.

Or be conservative. If you think its going to come out this fall say Q1 2022 and move the date up. You have so many better options than what you are doing now.

Or just lock this thread and say we dont want any feedback from our customers, we know what is best for you and us and save your breath.

elmar01

Postby elmar01 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:26

Hi There,

Just a couple of questions about this product:

- Will this be available in a right handed configuration or will it be exclusively left handed?
- Will it have a reverse-thrust detent for airliner use?

Thanks,

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:20

rockdude14 wrote:

So what is VKB HQ to do?

PS: I myself - like everybody else here - am looking very much forward to the TECS throttle when the time comes.

So why not just say nothing than? Dont tease anything, dont do a preview. Just wait until you are ready and release it?

You mention you dont want to release the wrong date and change it because people might get mad. However, you released a preview and then radio silence since then and people are mad... You got the same result, at least if you had went the first route and gave some timeline info you would have a chance of people not being upset if you hit the timeline or communicated delays well.

Of course people are going to be upset with delays. But its how your relay that information that will make that a lot less likely to happen. If you say its going to release in September and you want until sept 30th to say "no its actually going be March. People will be upset because its obvious you knew about that delay before and clearly dont care about the effect that has on your customers. If however in July the factory making the mold burns down and you say its going to be march people will be much more receptive and understanding.

This is coming from an engineer. I understand both sides. I've delayed schedules before, it sucks. However I would say this is certainly not a better way to avoid doing it.

Or be conservative. If you think its going to come out this fall say Q1 2022 and move the date up. You have so many better options than what you are doing now.

Or just lock this thread and say we dont want any feedback from our customers, we know what is best for you and us and save your breath.

[yawn]

Padinn

Postby Padinn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:22

So when they send not by end of Lunar year does that mean they expect it sometime after February 2022?

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:07

The consensus was that it meant not by end of February 2021 (which was a potential release mentioned in a post by VKB the previous summer).

That said, we simple don't know how far away the release of TECS is. [shrug]

Padinn

Postby Padinn » Fri Jun 04, 2021 17:45

Gotcha, production stage sounds interesting. Wonder if that means they are finalizing design.

norlin

Postby norlin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 20:54

rrohde wrote:Any PLANNED estimate…

At this point, no one even asking for a specific date or an estimate.
That would be enough to know ANY info. How about it's current stage? Without any details - is it already in prodaction on a factories? Is the design finalized and in tests? Is the team are working on the final design? Is there any real project at all?

Cblase

Postby Cblase » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:57

I just had a quick question regarding the quality equivalence on this new throttle coming out. I'm looking to upgrade my HOTAS setup and was thinking of picking up the Gladiator NXT premium and use my existing throttle till this new VKB Throttle comes out. However my question is, if I get the NXT premium, would this new throttle be a step above it in terms of quality or functionality that I should be considering a higher quality Stick to along with it? I think the NXT premium would be great for my experiences in Elite/SC but if this throttle is more in line with some of their higher quality stick products, perhaps I should be considering a higher quality stick.

No worries if none of this information has been made available yet, I'm new to this product line and forum so if this has already been discussed somewhere just let me know and I'll check it out. Thanks for any clarification!

Cheers

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Mon Jun 07, 2021 16:01

You know the replies you got in r/hotas? Pretty much the same people will be replying here! :lol:

And those that didn't reply there (i.e. those that could tell you for sure) aren't going to reply here either! :lol:

Fair enough though, worth a punt. :wink:

skarekrow

Postby skarekrow » Mon Jun 07, 2021 16:40

Hey Cblase,

I have the NXT Premium stick and would say that you should have no problem using it with the new throttle. Don't be fooled by the lower price compared to the other VKB sticks, it is all
basically designed and being sold to meet whatever your individual needs or wants and finances dictate, most likely as the options for upcoming throttle.

Cheers !

Return to “Official announcements”