VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Moderator: AdminGroup

miksmax

Re: VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby miksmax » Mon Jun 07, 2021 16:43

I'm in the same boat as you and I believe that the new throttle (starting at $200) should be in line with the quality of the NXT. Don't forget that the basic difference of the NXT compared to VKB's more expensive options is the use of plastic and not all-metal. It's all premium though.

elmar01

Postby elmar01 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 18:00

TrueWeevie wrote:You know the replies you got in r/hotas? Pretty much the same people will be replying here! :lol:

And those that didn't reply there (i.e. those that could tell you for sure) aren't going to reply here either! :lol:

Fair enough though, worth a punt. :wink:

[yawn]

milo1973

Postby milo1973 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 16:20

fallout9 wrote:I can assure you he didn't had any intention to insult anyone. He was just tryin to make a comparison to similar companies when it comes to launching their products.

adequate companies, when announcing a device, are ALWAYS telling customers when to expect it

This is simply not true. As a game developer, I'm sure you've heard about Bethesda - did they announced the release date for Starfield?
I know the TECS was supposed to be out already at this time, but there are reasons for it to be still in development, other than laziness and carelessness. I'm after a 3090 for 8 months now and they're still so hard to find and I know it's not because Nvidia doesn't want to sell their products, but because for some good reasons they can't expand their production lines to feed the market.

So let's please have some patience and respect each other.

100% understand this. My own company also manufactures in China and it's been a fucking nightmare dealing with China the last year. You have my sympathies.

planecrazy242

Postby planecrazy242 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 0:25

this is gonna be unpopular, but it's silly this "product" was announced YEARS ago.

At some point the opportunity cost of "getting it right" should be too high to your business. A common refrain in business is "don't let perfect be the enemy of good". How many hundreds of thousands of dollars has VKB lost at this point by people who have tired of waiting for a throttle and gotten something else (I'm in that boat)? I love my Gladiator, but who is going to wait years and years with never any kind of release date? No development org should operate this way in terms of never giving an update or having any type of development schedule. This is worse than a paper launch since at least in a paper launch there is the hope that something is at least happening.

Yea, the world fell apart last year, but what about the year before that, what about the last 6 months that things have gotten better? At this point there is literally no way the product can be good enough to justify the time it has taken to develop and release. Like I said, it's too bad, VKB lost my throttle dollars, likely has lost many others' throttle dollars that went directly to the competition. At the level VKB plays at, a lot of people are not going to to just swap out a competitive product they paid hundreds of dollars for, these are not consumables that you get a new one every year.

I really wish we'd get a true update from VKB, I wish even more there was going to be throttle product in the next 12-18 months. Sadly at this point, I don't realistically expect either.

kissTheSky

Postby kissTheSky » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22

Let me be devil’s advocate here. Would it have been better to release the product and have the user base become the beta testers? It could have been, IMHO, worse for VKB trying to erase that image for the future potential customers.

EnderR2

Postby EnderR2 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:19

As with all things, its about balance. Release quality vs release date is no different.

Although I suspect whats slowing things down at this point is the same thing effecting the auto industry and other industries whom have become accustomed to "just in time" supply of SOC and other microprocessors. Many of the rare materials stopped being mined when the pandemic hit, and the stockpiles depleted during the market fluctuations that has been the past eighteen months. These factors have increased manufacturing costs, prototyping costs, and delays in every step of the way. Hopefully, between natural and artificial inoculation, combined with the growing amount of data on this whole mess, there is hope things will get better soon. I hope VKB is able to stay close to their target price point, and is able to deliver a quality product that will last, and perform as expected.

dburne

Postby dburne » Sun Jun 27, 2021 16:44

Yeah just look at the trouble one has trying to secure a 30XX GPU , has been going on now for months and still going on.

Data_Lore

Postby Data_Lore » Sun Jun 27, 2021 22:26

This delay is a real bummer. Thankfully, I am mostly a HOSAS player (Star Citizen). I just wanted a throttle to try out SW Squadrons and some other titles. So, I haven't minded checking this thread every now again. If it wasn't in, no biggie.

But even I am getting pretty impatient.

I am a VKB fan and have two Gladiator NXTs and their pedals. I recommend the brand at every opportunity to friends and guild mates I wanted one of their throttles too since I have faith in the brand.

But now I really want to try out some of those other games and I need a throttle. So, waiting is done for me. I really wish the rest of your guys the best.

WelshZeCorgi

Postby WelshZeCorgi » Tue Jun 29, 2021 18:35

If that's the case, and it looks like people are predicting that the shortage is going to last years, then I think this throttle is pretty much dead in the water.

TrueWeevie

Postby TrueWeevie » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:23

[sigh]

If TECS is dead in the water in any regard, it'll either be because:

1. VKB have run out of money to finish the development/set up a new production line/pay their staff
  2. VKB have hit a problem with the electronic detent that they just can't get round, it's just not working or not working well enough
  3. VKB have got so bored and irritated with this thread they've decided to piss us all off by cancelling the throttle

a is pretty unlikely, I suspect they've sold a few Gladiator NXTs recently
b is not impossible in and of itself, but it would be a pretty perfectionist (AKA foolish) company that would cancel the base model (which, lets face it, any decent peripheral manufacturer could manage; hell, even TM managed to make a decent fist of the TWCS) just because they couldn't produce their higher tier models. They wouldn't even have to mention the cancellation of the models with the electronic detent, they could just say "Here's the base model, we're still working through some stuff for the other models"
c frankly is the most likely of the three. From what I've seen of this thread, if I was the main human at VKB, reading this thread, I'd be tempted to say "Fekk 'em and their whiny asses, they don't deserve our genius"! :lol:

It's not going to be down to the chip fabs not being able to keep up.

Just for a second, put some actual thought into it. They're knocking out Gladiator NXT's just fine. What would be in the base model that wouldn't be in the NXT? No electronics for sure, the sensor will just be one of their MARS sensors, switches and buttons, eh they're still available. A throttle is a device just like a joystick but with one main axis instead of two.

What magic sauce would be unavailable for the throttle that they don't already use in the NXT or even the Gunfighter bases?

The delay (and that's what it almost certainly is) is almost certainly due to COVID disruption, partly in terms of supply, partly in terms of ability of engineers to get to China (they mentioned that in a previous post) and partly in terms of personnel losses (they mentioned that too and I feel for them very much in that regard)

And yes, probably some of it is also due to VKB being their perfectionist (but not to the extent as option b) selves. That's why their kit is as good as it is.
Last edited by TrueWeevie on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

HollyWood

Postby HollyWood » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:46

I'm over here still waiting, cuz VKB is worth it.

Have patience kiddos, this forum is penultimate entitled cringe, you'd think actual fighter pilots need parts for real planes in a war.
:lol:

Love your gear VKB, can't wait for the throttle!

Blaxcot

Postby Blaxcot » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:03

Will there be a version for left-handed players who need to have throttle on the right? I have a hosas set-up and use a TM 16000 as my RHS throttle.

EnderR2

Postby EnderR2 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:10

That was answered a few pages ago by VKB Canada, not currently in the works as of about 6 weeks ago.

robert spinz

Postby robert spinz » Mon Jul 05, 2021 19:58

Looking very much forward to TECS! Last piece of my full VKB puzzle :)

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 20:33

Somehow I don't agree with the second part of your statement :)))

Return to “Official announcements”