VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Moderator: AdminGroup

Caillin

Re: VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby Caillin » Thu Dec 01, 2022 0:51

I believe the omni throttle has tunable clutches, so can be configured with the clutch friction exceeding the (also configurable) spring strength so that each axis can be left in position once moved.

Also while you do lose an axis for the TECS, it will supposedly have a good thumbstick under the left thumb which I plan to use for lateral translation in space Sims. The premium version will also have configurable electronic detents, so will also be able to be configured for the top half of the throw to be forward thrust and bottom half as reverse, with full stop detectable in the middle.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:27

tessierp wrote:For a while I was debating if to give up and buy the "Gladiator NXT EVO Omni Throttle" however the problem with that throttle is you would have to keep on pushing forward to move ahead. I understand this was made for space sims however I can't imagine myself for an extend period of time to have to put pressure forward, it would be very tiring. Unless someone tells me I'm wrong and I can configure the OMNI to not "slide back", hence, this is why I am considering the TECS throttle over the OMNI throttle.

You could simply remove the spring on the pitch axis on your left hand device, increase the dampeners so the grip would hold position and set up a larger deadzone in the middle (something like 6-7). This way it will act as a throttle; it will be somewhat difficult at beginning to feel when you're in the deadzone / throttle 0, but in time you'll adjust to it.

tessierp

Postby tessierp » Fri Dec 02, 2022 16:21

Good to know there is something I can actually do should I decide to go with the OMNI.

And thanks for the details on the TECS @caillin. I would agree with many a Thumb control is not ideal compared to the OMNI, however, that small disadvantage quickly fades when you look at all the options it offers. It is certainly good to know they will add a very good quality thumb stick. I mean, at the moment I am using one of the HATs on the Gladiator NXT EVO to "strafe" left-right, top-down and I use the tiny little throttle on the back panel with a deadzone in the middle for back and forth. The TECS would allow for a much more comfortable way of piloting ships in Star Citizen for example.

I hope we get some news on the TECS in 2023 with an idea on the price. From what I have seen, the TECS looks very modular so the base unit shouldn't be super expensive and if you want more controls you just stack to it.

Fermium257

Postby Fermium257 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:53

Knightcrawler wrote:I think most of you guys are being too negative. The video was a little strange, but they put a lot of production value into it. That makes me think they're close to a final product.

What? Close to what exactly? The video really didn't even "tell" us anything or show us anything new. TECS wasn't mentioned, advertised, or anything really. Just a 5 second shot of "TECS" in the background, after 3 minutes of fancy dancing. It wasn't even the focal point of the video. I showed it to 3 different people that have nothing to do with flight/space Sims, and asked them what they thought the video was about. 2 of them thought it was an advertisement for a dancing TV show. The other thought it was a students video project. So..

dburne

Postby dburne » Tue Dec 06, 2022 0:36

Fully agree - that truly was about the silliest thing I have ever seen put out by a joystick mfg to advertise... something I guess. They would have been much better off to have not put anything out there.

Fermium257

Postby Fermium257 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:32

This whole thing is silly to be honest. It's been 5 YEARS. And we've been told almost nothing other than "not yet" and "no eta". Features that it was going to have either scrapped or going to be in the "premium" (expensive) version that won't even be out untill WAY after release. So.. 10 years? I don't know. I love all my VKB stuff but this is really off-putting. Not to mention that from the latest renders it looks like part of the NXT line. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics.

simmeone

Postby simmeone » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:00

I think VKB did themselves a disservice by announcing TECS back then. It's been five years and now a product is briefly teased in a film, which is probably TECS. It is understandable that some customers are now really angry or have looked around for an alternative. I can only hope that VKB has learned from this, I'll be honest, I'm really disappointed too and don't really know if I'll buy TECS as soon as it comes out.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Mon Dec 12, 2022 0:37

I think they have learned from it - not to give any prior warning of what's about to come until it's virtually ready to be in stock and for sale. This is the only thing they still occasionally tease, because people still beat them up for that very first mistake, and claim they just want to know anything - but then 'anything' is never enough. (Shrug.)

I can't agree with your first sentence more. They created the Catch 22 with the initial early reveal, and have been paying for it ever since...
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

KWard

Postby KWard » Sat Jan 21, 2023 23:54

Are there still going to be announcements here or do I have to join the discord?

I do not want to join the discord, but I don't want to miss the release of the TECS.

Caillin

Postby Caillin » Sun Jan 22, 2023 0:08

I'm 100% sure that at least someone will post in this thread soon after any official announcement. Some of us have been here for a long while lol

Galwran

Postby Galwran » Sat Jan 28, 2023 19:25

Happy anniversary to this thread :|

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:27

KWard wrote:Are there still going to be announcements here or do I have to join the discord?

Joining discord is always a good idea, as there is also a wealth of knowledge people exchange every day, but it is here where official news are released.
And of course as soon as we have anything to say about TECS, you will see it here first!
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Monkee

Postby Monkee » Wed Mar 01, 2023 22:38

On the russian IL2 forum, there was some hint that an announcement was due to the end of February:https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/14335-vkb-tecs-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D1%8C-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%BC-%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%83/?do=findComment&comment=890671.

Is the announcement still planned but just delayed? :wink:

norlin

Postby norlin » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41

simmeone wrote:I think VKB did themselves a disservice by announcing TECS back then

That's not the announcement is a disservice, but ignoring all the questions and not providing literally any new info.

Sniv

Postby Sniv » Tue Apr 25, 2023 13:27

According to UIV, patent issue has been solved:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/143 ... 3/page/72/

Let’s hope things will now speed up ! :)

Return to “Official announcements”