VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Moderator: AdminGroup

1sascha

Re: VKB TECS: MODULARITY FULL AHEAD

Postby 1sascha » Sun Jul 03, 2022 14:07

babysim wrote:
I know patience when you don't have it is a terrible form of torture. But it is what it is. I want VKB to know that when it comes my money is ready and waiting.

^ That.

I mean... I can't guarantee I won't "jump queue-ship" - so to speak. Looking hard at WH, WW Orion 2 and, yes, even the Virpil throttle at the moment, just because I *really* want something better than my TWCS - mostly a smooth and precise throttle-action. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't instantly go with the VKB if it came out tomorrow with (most of) the announced features and more or less within the price-range that was hinted at.

Counting the days since initial announcement and/or complaining on the web about how this is "unacceptable" somehow are probably things that have the smallest chance of speeding things up. You might as well start insulting the sun today to keep it from rising tomorrow...

Plus: If I read fallout's latest posts here correctly, I don't really think we're *that* far away from a release. Probably not this summer, probably not this fall ... but I wouldn't be surprised if it finally hit the market in late 22/early 23.

And if all else fails: Just look into a mirror and say the throttle's name five times in a row. They say if you do that, it'll appear behind you, breathing down your neck. :P

S.

dburne

Postby dburne » Mon Jul 04, 2022 23:39

I don't think anyone even expects in the least that complaining about it taking so long will get it to them any faster. Just stating their wishes for the throttle and how long they have been waiting, which has been years now and at times a little frustrating.
If nothing else it lets VKB know the interest is still there for their TECS throttle and folks are anxiously awaiting on it.

These are crazy times we have been living in since early 2020 and folks know there has been a major disruption on the supply chain side of things. And still are with seemingly no end in sight.

Harley Quinn

Postby Harley Quinn » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:19

You have to think though as a company would you prefer the people who have gone silent and left the forums (and likely purchased something else), or the people who are venting their frustration after 55 months of waiting and are still waiting?

For me either VKB will get there before my TWCS finally gives up the ghost or I get fed up of the constant work cleaning the pots to keep it going, or I will end up with something else.

I'm still hopeful VKB will get there first.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:24

Harley Quinn wrote:
I'm still hopeful VKB will get there first.

^ +1 :)

S.

K4ij00

Postby K4ij00 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51

Well, I too sadly must admit that I've bitten the bullet because I couldn't stand the unreliability of my TWCS anymore, it's keeping me from enjoying the games I like, and thus, I took the financial leap of going for the competition, even though they don't have it in stock by the looks of it... What lead me to that leap, ultimately though? To be honest, the information, or rather lack thereof, about the TECS, which is rather unfortunate. Sure, the initial post explains a lot about the different versions which are going to exist in terms of the TECS throttle. We were told that the initial model, which is also the cheapest, will have mechanical detents - and no other specifics about said detents were given, except that they're set for modern combat aircraft. It is unknown whether there will be anything customizable with regards to those, but given that the pricier iterations of the TECS throttle will have fully customizable electronic detents, it makes me sceptical that the more affordable version will have much, if any, customization with regards to those. Curiously, the product I've opted for, in its initial release had detents, followed by a version that didn't have detents, and in response to public outcry over that, the current version has fully customizable detents, even if they're mechanical - so the choice for me was, either go for something about which I know how it is, or wait for God knows how long for something about which I don't know enough about - guess the decision was made now.

What I admittedly don't understand is VKB's sense of prioritization - I mean, here's a product announced years ago with definitely an eager and ready target audience, and yet we see releases of other products of which they already have something of (refinement of the NXT EVO, for instance), whilst this is dragging on and on... I wonder if it's because the target audience for the other products is higher and thus the revenue expectations make it so enough development push is given to those products to make them available sooner, or... I dunno. I'll still keep a weather eye out to see what will have become of the TECS, whether I was justified with my decision or whether I'll have to chastise myself for no longer having waited for it... O7

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:21

Just from having read through this thread (and from paying attention to the news ;) ), there seem to be difficulties that are beyond VKB's influence... like changes in Chinese policy (pulling visas, etc) ... and the pandemic... and the world-wide supply-chain issues affecting both transport/logistics and availability of certain components (chip shortage).

Plus, and I'm speculating here now, this seems to be a more complex project than simply designing a new throttle-grip with six buttons and sticking it on an existing product (resulting in the WW2 throttle setup). Even under perfect circumstances, the new throttle seems like a way more complicated endeavor - throw in all those unexpected problems I mentioned further up and I think it gets more understandable why this is taking so long.

I'm pretty sure VKB are well aware of the "throttle gap" - meaning both their own lack of a mid- to high-end HOTAS-throttle and the general lack of such a product on the market. I mean... there's the TWCS ... and then there's nothing until we get to the (aging) TM WH or WW and finally Virpil. So getting into that medium- to high-ish-end segment with an attractive new throttle, starting somewhere on par with or slightly below the Warthog, should be a bit of a no-brainer.

My point being: If you or I, as customers, think we are frustrated with the apparent lack of progress, imagine how much more frustrated the guys at VKB must be.

S.

james340

Postby james340 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:07

If you're looking for something to tide the gap while waiting on the TECS, get a L/R (whichever hand you want for the throttle) EVO. I've been using a L-Omni EVO as a throttle for months now, and it's great - lets me fly jets, props, and space sims, providing 6DoF where needed, and the control of an arc throttle.

While I'm also waiting with bated breath for more info on the TECS, I truly wonder if I'll need it - I'm very happy with the EVO right now, especially after expanding it's button range with an SEM attachment.

If I do want to make the jump to TECS, I can probably sell my Omni EVO pretty easily. Just a thought...

ADMRL

Postby ADMRL » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:49

Im thinking about the EVO OMNI. Do you think it would be worth using the GF and the OMNI?

james340

Postby james340 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:10

I don't see why not - The omni is really good, and the dry clutches mean you can calibrate the resistance fairly nicely.

Jammer007

Postby Jammer007 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:41

I can understand that many people are being impatient, mostly due to a lack of an ETA on the TECS throttle. I only started in flight sims in early 2020 and went without a throttle for about 6 months, using my VKB Gladiator Premium and waiting for the TECS to be ready. But it didn't take long to realize that I needed a separate throttle and got the Virpil CM2, which I'm very happy with. But when TECS does come out I'll order it (maily because I'm impressed with the quality of the Gladiator) and then decide which throttle I prefer, and try to sell the other. I only "fly" warbirds, so the electric detents aren't a must have for me and the TECS with mechanical detents will be less of an expense.

But the way I look at it is by comparing the lengthy rollout until VKB is sure they have a good product to a flight delay due to mechanical problems. I'd rather spend more time in the departure lounge than go up on time in a plane that isn't fit to fly. (Please don't take the analogy literally ... I realize that flight delays don't take years :roll: )

Sternzy

Postby Sternzy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:10

Thanks for the suggestion. I would add that it never hurts to have a spare throttle or stick around.

dmbright21

Postby dmbright21 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 15:05

probably not next year either

Dixonsky

Postby Dixonsky » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:04

One of the buttons on my X56 just failed. I'm going to need VKB to get a move on.

Rapierarch

Postby Rapierarch » Tue Aug 16, 2022 18:37

james340 wrote:..... I've been using a L-Omni EVO as a throttle for months now, and it's great ....

...I'm very happy with the EVO right now, especially after expanding it's button range with an SEM attachment......

My TWCS is almost unusable now and I was also eyeing the EVO omni but If I buy it I will also need THQ extension with it. I live in Europe and we are still waiting for that famous container to arrive and prices getting normalized. They are still shipping to customers via AIRMAIL from China here hence prices are high. That container was supposed to arrive in may.

PiotrMKG

Postby PiotrMKG » Tue Aug 16, 2022 21:07

1sascha wrote:
K4ij00 wrote:... imagine how much more frustrated the guys at VKB must be.
S.

They are making more money just selling their low end stuff. I bet sales of low end stuff are at least 20x of high end ones.

Return to “Official announcements”