FS 2020 and VKB Gunfighter Pro

Moderator: AdminGroup

XonE32

FS 2020 and VKB Gunfighter Pro

Postby XonE32 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 0:22

Hey guys,

I just installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and of course went to set up the controls, but assigning things to my VKB Gunfighter pro seems problematic. It's probably just me, but is there support for FS 2020 with your products? there are defaults for my TM HOTAS Throttle that pop immediately.

Thanks for any info

Ron61

Re: FS 2020 and VKB Gunfighter Pro

Postby Ron61 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 14:14

You are a little confused - if the game had support for VKB devices with a beautiful picture, then a default profile would be made for each grip.

But this is not the case. There is only the name of the device VKB - for it (having previously selected) you will have to make a profile in the game.

Manually for each desired option. There is nothing complicated in this, it is checked.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:32

All VKB devices are perfectly compatible with MSFS2020, just bind all your controls manually. Go to Options, then Controls, click on the name of your VKB device in the Controls window, set the Filter on the left side to All, select the control you want to bind a button on your joystick to, make sure again your device is selected and click on the grey box on its right side; in the new window click on the Search By Input box, then click the button on your joystick. Press validate to save the binding into the ingame joystick profile.

apar.dspaede

Postby apar.dspaede » Sat Oct 10, 2020 23:40

XonE32 wrote:Hey guys,

I just installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and of course went to set up the controls, but assigning things to my VKB Gunfighter pro seems problematic. It's probably just me, but is there support for FS 2020 with your products? there are defaults for my TM HOTAS Throttle that pop immediately.

Thanks for any info

control binding in MSFS2020 is the easiest for any control i think..

Pr1mal

Postby Pr1mal » Mon Oct 12, 2020 21:31

fallout9 wrote:All VKB devices are perfectly compatible with MSFS2020, just bind all your controls manually. Go to Options, then Controls, click on the name of your VKB device in the Controls window, set the Filter on the left side to All, select the control you want to bind a button on your joystick to, make sure again your device is selected and click on the grey box on its right side; in the new window click on the Search By Input box, then click the button on your joystick. Press validate to save the binding into the ingame joystick profile.

With all due respect, Fallout, I came here to speak along similar lines. I own around $1000 worth of VKB hardware. Top notch. I've had hardware issues, but VKB support has responded promptly and efficiently. I have no problems with the company.

That said, Toe Brakes are advertised as a feature. Indeed they are a feature, however, VKB provides little in the way of support for them. VKB has released one profile, which supports the KG12 grip, and doesn't support the other grips which you sell for the same base. I need a profile for a gunfighter mkIII with the MCG pro grip, for use in FS2020. I feel as though your support is inexcusably lacking in the area of providing profiles, profiles for functions YOU advertise with every stick.

As far as I can tell, outside of forums VKB hasn't posted a toe brake profile since 2017, https://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=4666

To make matters worse, your programming software is like a Rubics Cube. It's 2020, and people need to attend college courses to learn your software. Meanwhile, the rest of the industry considers the human - machine software interface. VKB points people toward obscure forum posts and expects people to reprogram their stick by emulating screen shots. "If only it was 2020, and there was a way for people to exchange small files"........

So in short, it's 2020, I'm a satisfied VKB customer, but your software support is atrocious imo.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 23:27

I understand your frustration, I really do - I've been there myself, feeling lost when trying to program my devices. And I've read the manual and played with options until, after a while, I got myself pretty confident with the software. There are still things in there though that are still confusing me, but I ask and try to follow (sometimes I fail at that too :)). I don't brag about it - I had the time and passion for it and I don't consider that everyone else should do the same. Problem with the software is that is very complicated, but it's complicated not because someone wants to mock its users, but because it's so powerful. There's no other joystick software on the market that could do even half of this. And I would personally prefer to have a powerful piece of software that I don't know how to handle rather than a simple thing with a limited number of options - in first case I could still read, learn, ask and advance in the end; second case - I'm permanently limited.
Now to explain why there's no official profile for Toe Brakes: there are several ways to implement this feature into a profile - assigning a button, assigning 2 buttons, assigning the brake lever, removing the axes from the Gate Cont ministick and assigning them to toe brakes, removing the axes from the Master Mode ministick and assigning them to toe brakes; I wouldn't be too surprised if there would be even more options to activate the toe brakes.
Anyway, please get the attached profile, it's been made by Ron a few months ago and it activates the toe brakes with the brake lever; the toe brakes are replacing the axes of the Master Mode ministick (so that would become only a POV hat). If you were using those axes, would prefer to keep them and use the Gate Cont ministick axes for toe brakes instead just let me know and I'll do operate the changes.
Attachments
MCGPro+virtual brake T-Rudder.rar
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Pr1mal

Postby Pr1mal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:58

Thank you for the prompt and thorough response, I'll try that profile and let you know how it goes! Thank you!

Pr1mal

Postby Pr1mal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 19:55

Thank you once again, Fallout. I tried the profile last night and it was awesome, worked perfectly with fs2020.

One oddity I have, which may be unrelated, is two flashing red leds on my blackbox. Doesn't seem to affect anything, because it's all working fine
in vkbdevconfig and in the sim. Not something that bothers me anyway, I'm just happy to have precise rudder and brake control now!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 21:31

Flashing LEDs might indicate an imperfect contact grip to base (which might not be the issue in your case as the device is working fine) or an unfinished calibration. I would suggest to try this: reset to default (press Default button under Tools tab), load the posted profile, calibrate all the axes (rudders and toe brakes included); this should fix your flashing lights issue.
Otherwise glad it's working good for you and thank you for updating the thread!

Pr1mal

Postby Pr1mal » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:09

Fallout, I downloaded the newly released DevCFG and it solved the red lights problem. Solid blue now.

Return to “Official announcements”