UCM STRONGHOLD Desk Mount

Moderator: AdminGroup

ddrake1984

UCM STRONGHOLD Desk Mount

Postby ddrake1984 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 14:15

MelkorsGreatestHits

Re: Desk Mount

Postby MelkorsGreatestHits » Wed Oct 16, 2019 14:56

I like all of the holes that give you some flexibility on mounting. I have a pretty weird-sized desk and haven't found a commercial mounting system that works for me yet.

Maybe this is the one?

aklambda

Postby aklambda » Wed Oct 16, 2019 15:01

Pretty sexy. I already have some Monstertech mounts. But I might consider these for future things depending on the price.

Fridge

Postby Fridge » Wed Oct 16, 2019 17:39

Looks great! How high/low can you adjust the stick? ie: is this good for a centre mount that could be far (vertically) from the desk top?

ddrake1984

Re: UCM STRONGHOLD Desk Mount

Postby ddrake1984 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 14:23

Hi guys

How rude of me not to talk about these mounts after I posted some pictures :oops:

MelkorsGreatestHits - these mounts are not “flexible” but they are very customisable :lol: (Im being silly)

Aklambda - I own foxxmount and though they are slimmer and quick to move on/off the desk, they dont offer the same customisation options as the UCM Stronghold

Fridge - the small version shown in the pictures can go very low below the desk and the longer version is perfect height for centre mount

MelkorsGreatestHits

Postby MelkorsGreatestHits » Thu Oct 17, 2019 14:28

> these mounts are not “flexible” but they are very customisable

everything is flexible if you apply enough force ;)

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Thu Oct 17, 2019 19:58

I hope that VKB HQ gets the ball rolling soon for us to start selling them. :)

Tons of customization options for mounting:

VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Andy L

Postby Andy L » Sat Oct 19, 2019 16:43

These look very good.
I can't wait to replace my Frankenstein converted VirPil desk mount.

aklambda

Postby aklambda » Sat Oct 19, 2019 17:24

I am really looking forward to the center mounted keyboard plate. I plan to use that for a tablet or stream deck.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Oct 19, 2019 18:18

aklambda wrote:I am really looking forward to the center mounted keyboard plate. I plan to use that for a tablet or stream deck.

Isn't it what you can see in Rrohde's picture (above)? :) This system can hold keyboard, phone, tablet, and a can of beer. It does have one but very bad shortcoming though: when it comes to beer, it won't teleport a new can to you from the fridge. We're working on it.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

aklambda

Postby aklambda » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:17

:lol: There is an idea for Mk.II :wink:

Thasiet

Postby Thasiet » Wed Oct 30, 2019 17:11

I want to get three but I want to be able to bolt them together:
1.) so I can quickly install/deinstall the whole guilty pleasure as a single unit
2.) so I can install a hub to power the whole show, route all the wiring once, a single USB plug into the computer (and one more for power) and done
3.) so I can have the in-between space as a panel for Thrustmaster MFDs, custom panel switches, etc. etc.
4.) for additional structural integrity.

So, is there going to be a stock option for this, maybe using that aluminum extrusion profile, or am I going to have to go with some sort of hobbyist t-slot like Makerbeam and DIY?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 22:17

I've been playing (a lot) lately with the Universal Controller Mount system and I'll try to respond your questions:
1. Both long and short mounts are very easy and fast to install/remove from your desk, but not together. There's no part that would connect the modules in a huge assembly and I don't think it would work too well. For example, in my setup, the system of 3 mounts takes 115cm wide when installed; I think it would be pretty inconvenient to try to move it as a single unit. Besides, it takes me less than a min to unplug everything, remove the 3 mounts from the desk and put them aside.
2. I use a hub too to power everything that's connected to the mounts, but if I take the mounts off I prefer to disconnect each device separately. Hanging cable from a metal structure that's being moved and pushed around tends to get damaged.
3. I don’t have any MFDs, but I don’t see why they couldn’t get installed on the brackets coming with every package.
4. There's no need for extra structural integrity. Clamp those mounts to your desk and they won't move a single mm; they won't bend, twist, rotate etc. They become a single unit together with the desk.

Thasiet

Postby Thasiet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59

Ok I'm on my own to build the panel, that's fine. There's hella holes all throughout those sides and I'll figure something out. Structural integrity may still be a concern for me as I'll likely have to cantilever the left mount halfway off of my smallish computer desk, requiring me to distribute the load that one sees. Speaking of dimensions, 115cm, what the dilly yo? Are you scooting a Barcalounger up to that cockpit? I fly Cessnas IRL and the cabins, with side by side seating, are 102cm at their best.

Anyway, let's just imagine for a second I don't bolt a bunch of other crap on to the sides. So, what are the max and min vertical reaches for the short mount? How easy/quick is it to adjust the height, reach, swap between the Gunfighter plate and the throttle plate? Is it a one allen key job or do you have to put a spanner on the nuts every time? I want to be able to efficiently swap between at least two configurations. The first, a military configuration with center stick (have gunfighter with 100mm ext. and SCG), left hand throttle, right panel for mouse and other junk. The second, a general aviation configuration with left hand SCG sidestick, right hand throttle quadrant.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 17:13

Depending on what chair I'm using the setup length varies from 115cm for a wide comfortable, with large armrests chair, to 85-90 for a regular office chair (I usually prefer a more cramped position for dogfighting games).
About the short mount measurements, as far as I could tell, to goes down to a max of 27 cm under the top of the desk in a the extended position and it comes up to 19 cm in a compressed position (this number could be lowered even more, but I'm only measuring the "legal" positions).

Height adjustment: at my "handling stuff" level which is above average takes me about 2 minutes to adjust the height of a short mount if it's a system with 2 plates (8-12 M5 screws) and 1 minute if the're only 1 plate (4-6 M5 screws).
Swapping bases: if your bases are already mounted on the plates is a 1-2 minute job to change a base plate with another. If you have tough fingers you don't need a spanner to hold the nuts as they are screwing on top of a spring washer.

Return to “Official announcements”