Kosmosima Discussion

Moderator: AdminGroup

ddrake1984

Kosmosima Discussion

Postby ddrake1984 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51

Hey Guys

I wanted to put a post here so I don't clog up the announcement post.

I will post here for the community to read some of my findings - I do have a quick pros and cons section viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3331&start=15#p33380

but I will keep posting here instead.

I have reconfigured my Axes (Precis) from 12 to 15
and
[Dz Lo] = (4) to (0.5)
[Dz Hi] = (2) to (0.5)

The reason I did this;
Because the joystick gimbal (gunfighter) is very precise and having a large dead zone is not necessary for a right hand stick

I will most likely keep this dead zone or modify it a bit more for left hand horizontal and vertical strafe with a #30 cam as I find it much better.

I have been working closely with the developer and he has implemented (early release) for dead zone on/off function, this is very very cool as my dead zones can be activated and deactivated to increase accuracy around the center;
Turning my dead zone OFF for when I am in combat / dog fighting and then I can turn it back ONfor when I want to land.

I have been configuring the LED indicator as a mode shift indicator:
+ it is not saturating the stick
+ it is not dull
+ it is not blindingly bright
+ it is not a dot - it is a 'slit'

It is a very good implementation and I really enjoy it's configuration, I have also configured so I know when my stick is in calibration as well as when I turn off dead zone.

I have been given a dampened twist on my right stick and a non-dampened twist on my left stick.
I am still testing this out to determine which I like best for the games that I play.

+ Dampened stick allows a smoother transition and a stronger twist (it feels fantastic)
+ Dampened stick would be fantastic for precision aiming due to a slower movement with a slower return to center
* this would be good for helicopter

+ Non-Dampened stick allows for quicker response and a lighter twist (it feels fantastic)
+ Non-Dampened stick would be fantastic for rapid movement due to a quicker movement with a quicker return to center
* this would be good for space combat

Keep an eye on this channel, subscribe to this channel as I will be posting my updates here in future.

ddrake1984

Re: Kosmosima Discussion

Postby ddrake1984 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 18:17

Approx Dimensions

Approx 17.5cm Tall
Approx 7.5cm wide
Approx 5.5cm depth (at the grip)

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00

because there are lots of possible buttons you can apply to the kosmosima, I have made a spreadsheet that I want to share.

and I have mapped the logical layer directly into the Kosmosima SCG button mapping picture

after more testing with the Kosmosima SCG I have found that due to the button layout with the RGB light, it is supreme for shift states

I will keep testing this and refine my profile for space sim.

here are some pictures of the joystick using the SHIFT states with TEMPO and a Deadzone On/Off switch

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:59

I have made an unboxing video and I have uploaded it to youtube here: https://youtu.be/DPDWPl7dkps

I will also be uploading a more in-depth video later;

I will be explaining how to disassemble, reassemble and change the buttons, hats or mini-stick

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 14:35

I let my wife compare the Virpil MongoosT-50 and the VKB Kosmosima 'Space Combat Grip'
(I do not want to make this comparison about which is a better product! but it is easier to gauge with another similar high end product)

she has provided her opinions in + (positive) - (negative) and = (impartial) - with some comments while she was testing.

she has smaller hands than I do, so this is good information for someone with small hands.

Please note, these are not my thoughts! this comparison is only from my wife, with delicate hands!

Virpil MongoosT-50
- Grip Feel
- Thumb Button

= 1st stage trigger
+ Pinky Button
+ Flip Down Trigger

- Flip Up Trigger
- Index Button
- Hats actuation
- Top Hat placement

+ Red button
+ Break Lever

VKB Kosmosima 'Space Combat Grip'
+ Grip Feel
+ Thumb Button
= 1st stage trigger

- Pinky Button (placement and maybe needs dimple, and maybe lighter press)
- Flip Down Trigger (down pressure was too strong, she liked the mt-50 light press more)

+ Flip Up Trigger
+ Index Button
+ Hats actuation
+ Top Hat placement

- Red Button (too firm)

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:34

Here is the Kosmosima 'Space Combat Grip' Disassembly
https://youtu.be/1PyCRQAMVuQ

I noticed during editing that there were many elements I missed (in the detail)

However I did take a bunch of pictures that are not in the video, so if you have questions, let me know

Also note, I am not a professional content creator, so my videos are a bit 'raw'

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04

ddrake1984 wrote:Here is the Kosmosima 'Space Combat Grip' Disassembly

That was the best voice over job - ever! :))))
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Fri Feb 08, 2019 22:17

Great video! Thanks drake1984!
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39

Update:

I have been working with the developer and testing a link between blackboxes using a software zLink

so far we can transmit shift states between a master and it's slave.

this opens up a whole new world of possibilites and configuration options.

this is amazing software and development!

pretagonist

Postby pretagonist » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59

I'm just going to chip in here regarding the 2D deadzone that ddrake and the firmware guy Alex have implemented. I hope it will get into the official firmware if it isn't already.

Regular deadzones on axis separated sticks like VKBs are always fixed at a certain percentage around the center of that axis regardless of the state of other axis.

Now this behavior isn't always ideal. It would of course be best if no deadzones where ever needed but in space sims or other 6DOF games even very small off-from-center values will cause you to drift when trying to stay absolutely still. So if deadzones in 6DOF/Spacesims are mainly used to keep an absolute heading then we don't actually need the deadzone when we aren't at dead center of both X and Y axis.

Thus the 2D deadzone was born. This deadzone is a combined deadzone that only comes into effect when both X and Y are close to center. As soon as one axis leaves the deadzone the other axis will no longer have a deadzone either.

Deadzones.png

blackram

Postby blackram » Wed Feb 13, 2019 13:50

Kosmosima is a great grip choice for midsized/smallsized fist users as it is consideraly smaller than MCG/pro grip. Something like KG12 but it has more buttons and is "space sim grip".

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 22:19

You are wrong. Kosmosima is shorter than the MCG, but the hand use space is exactly the same. See this picture from one of the testers.
Attachments
IMG_0278.JPG

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00

fallout9 wrote:You are wrong. Kosmosima is shorter than the MCG, but the hand use space is exactly the same.

Yes and no.
It is like weather report: 25 degrees but feels like 18. Or, like 32.
In a word, Kosmosima feels more compact in hand hence the feeling for smaller hands is more comfy.
With my not the biggest of all palms I feel Kosmie sitting in the hand just like I was born with it. (not advertising, just sharing the feeling).
Best Regards,
AeroGator

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39

I am so sorry, I have been working on a review on youtube.

I will hopefully have a version I am satisfied with uploaded this weekend, If I don’t get distracted.

I can vouch, the feel is comfortable, the kosmosima has the most ergonomic grip I have held thus far!

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:31

AeroGator wrote:In a word, Kosmosima feels more compact in hand hence the feeling for smaller hands is more comfy.

Then the person in charge should better hurry with the shipping so I could test it myself :D

Return to “Official announcements”