Kosmosima Discussion

Moderator: AdminGroup

pretagonist

Re: Kosmosima Discussion

Postby pretagonist » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:55

I really like how the kosmosima sits in my hand and most of the buttons are very good and easy to reach. The extra dual action trigger on the premium is a fantastic addition.

I have two main issues with the comfort and that is that the pinky switch gets very hard to actuate when you have the largest handrest insert installed. This likely comes down to exactly how your pinky is angled so this will vary a lot from person to person. I would have prefered something like the old cobra M5 although that would of course add a lot of complexity, perhaps another button shape could be produced to solve this. The other issue is that the C1 hat switch is so difficult to actuate precisely without also pusing in unintended directions that I mostly switched it out for the standard button. Perhaps another hat design could solve this as well. If I had a 3d printer I would probably try to make something different.

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21

Question to those that have had time with the Kosmosima: I've found my MCG Pro's dual triggers can be used for two different weapon groupings without involving the thumb, leaving it free to use all the other controls even when firing both weapon groups. I've been a bit unclear as to whether the Kosmosima Pro would allow for a similar thing. What do you guys say, based on your time with the new grip?

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52

not sure I understand this, I will try and help - but first I will need you to re-clarify.

"I've found my MCG Pro's dual triggers can be used for two different weapon groupings without involving the thumb"

- for reference, this is a dual stage trigger:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/451326393150734346/548033537866072074/unknown.png
- please let me know what you meant by this sentence and I will help you

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30

I do have a question to VKB that a few community members have asked.

Which twist grease option did you decide on using for the official release, Light or Heavy?

Knightcrawler

Postby Knightcrawler » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59

I got my Kosmosima today! It fits into my hand really, really well. I was a bit surprised when the analogue thumbstick was not centered, but for me it was still just barely fully controllable with my thumb. It's perfectly fine, though. I also want to say about the thumbstick that despite being made out of hard plastic, the texture gives it a perfect amount of grip. Even compared to the MCG Pro thumbsticks, I think this has the best grip of them all. This is a relief to me, as sometimes rubbery materials can get really gummy over time. I assume people with smaller hands can get it within reach by adjusting the hand rest. The buttons and hats all feel like they are easily within reach, so that's cool. I really wish the secondary trigger was that awesome metal from the MCG, even if it is very small. Although some people will turn their noses up at all the plastic, I LOVE this stick.

...However, there is one serious flaw: the pinky button. It's totally uncomfortable to press. It's a shame, too, because I feel like, with the shape of the grip, I would have an easy time using my pinky on a button in that position. I made a quick video showing off how the pinky button is uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSVaSS4goJM

Basically, to press the button at all, I have to really curl my pinky into the grip. It's a shame, because the solution is really simple for hands of all sizes: Just make the button wide and curved, like a gamepad shoulder button (SNES-style, for instance). It would also be a bit more comfortable if it pressed in diagonally instead of straight back. I've illustrated that here.

I would buy another if you guys made an updated version with a fixed pinky button (and maybe a metal secondary trigger). I also think the dual-stage trigger on the MCG Pro feels better, so if the Kosmosima could get that trigger, that'd be another improvement. It's still probably my favorite stick so far, but I think you guys should consider it.

BTW The rubber Kosmosima emblem is super-cool, and seems to stick to the side of my case well!

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 0:25

a discussion on the discord server got me thinking, is there a way we can have the 5 way hats (on the top of the stick) 'gated' ?
[A1] [A3] [A4]

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 17:42

Knightcrawler wrote:"Discussion about pinky button"

Now that I have my Kosmosima in hand, I can see what you're talking about. What I'm going to do is find an adhesive backed rubber bump and stick it to that button so it protrudes a bit more. That will make it easier for me to depress.

The rest of the grip is pretty spot-on! Really looking forward to putting it through the ropes.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Fri Mar 29, 2019 18:50

I just got mine. Interestingly enough for me the thumb rest hat is a little too far back for perfection, but the pinky button seems perfect. If I exchange it for one of these more raised options it will be even better.

I don't think I have particularly large hands but my fingers look like I should be a professional strangler....
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Sat Jul 20, 2019 15:38

ddrake1984 wrote:not sure I understand this, I will try and help - but first I will need you to re-clarify.

"I've found my MCG Pro's dual triggers can be used for two different weapon groupings without involving the thumb"

- for reference, this is a dual stage trigger:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/451326393150734346/548033537866072074/unknown.png
- please let me know what you meant by this sentence and I will help you

Sorry for not getting back to you MUCH sooner, I kinda forgot I asked this question tbh. I don't really use the dual-stage function of that trigger - what I meant was instead that I can use the MCG's two separate triggers with two different fingers, assign one fire group to each, and be able to fire either or both fire groups while still being able to use everything the thumb controls, rather than having the choice of 'second fire group, or every other button on the stick that the thumb is used for' like in most joysticks. I was wondering whether it was possible to do the same thing with the Kosmosima's two triggers in a comfortable manner, or if them being in line with each other instead of offset meant that was not practical.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be buying at least one Kosmosima, this information will just help me decide if it's only one as a left-hand stick, or if I grab one for a right-hand stick as well for a matched HOSAS pair and sell my RevA Gunfighter and MCG.

Sorry for the horribly slow reply!

Return to “Official announcements”