Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System (In Development)

Moderator: AdminGroup

UIV
Мастер

Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System (In Development)

Postby UIV » Sun Dec 31, 2017 13:26

Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

We VKB team take our pride in creating a fully dimensional world of modern virtual combat aviation control devices rather than a common "model range".

TECS (Twin Engine Control System) is a completely new throttle control device made for today's and future jet warbirds.
This unique state of art device is already out of "development" phase, and is currently entering "preparation for serial production".

It would be wrong to say that TECS "worthily follows the line of VKB engineering tradition" that we have carefully maintained for 14 years. No, it takes this tradition farther and further.

The design as usually is based on modular principle with data streaming between the blocks via VKB proprietary digital interface.
Structurally, the system is built around the basic throttle control unit (the base). It can be expanded by additional panels connected to its front (with special braces) and to its rear (directly). These panels are also modular and allow users to configure the entire system according to their personal preferences.

Inside the slider grips, the base, and the panels we put bus controllers that collect the data from control elements and pass it to the main processing unit that is hidden in the throttle control base.
There are two ways the TECS can be connected to the computer: directly via USB, and via bus – by passing the data through the BlackBox. This way, it becomes possible to combine all control systems (the control grip + throttle control + pedals + extension panels) in one uncompromisingly rigid and integral piloting complex.

The TECS's main control sliders' movement is physically made linear that surely adds to the realistic feeling and allows for the user's greater immersion. Frictions that load this movement can be adjusted individually.

VKB engineers managed to design a unique stop mechanism that never before had been implemented in the gaming world. Now, like on a real plane, there are stops that demand additional effort on passing certain points of the movement range at Idle, Afterburner, and Afterburner max.

Same as on a real plane, both slider grips are equipped with individual stops. If desired, these stops can be deactivated, and the sliders will travel without additional effort along its entire range.

The grips' shape, similar to MCG, is as close as possible to the real fighters' controls. We only very slightly altered it to optimize its use in simulated environment.

Structural parts of the TECS's mechanism are all metal. Full slider travel – 110 mm.
Our own contactless magnetic sensors are used for extra precision.

We see no point in overloading the surface with as many control knobs and switches as possible – it would likely make flying less handy and controlling the plane would become trickier.

Instead, we focused on making the design and ergonomics of the TECS "VR ready". Every element can be easily found and identified by feel.

A complete complex made of Gunfighter base, MCG grip, TECS, T-Rudder Pedals (or Twist), and Extension Panels is the best possible cockpit set that offers the user exceptional control over the plane, unparalleled immersion, and allows to take pilotage to a much higher level.

The rendered image shows the pre-production version of the TECS. We will work together with the DCS experts to finalize the panels' layout, and confirm the text of the prints. If you read Russian, you might like studying these prints now: there might be something you wouldn't expect to see.

Desktop version will be the first to see the world, and cockpit version will follow. Stay tuned for announcements.

We estimate the price range for the main TECS base somewhere about US$ 200, and the extension panels – about 40 galactic credits.
Now, the question is WHEN?! – stay tuned!

Yours as always,
Global VKB Team

North America https://vkbcontrollers.com/
Europe https://flightsimcontrols.com/
Russia http://vkb-sim.pro/

JLX

Re: TECS – removing the cover

Postby JLX » Sun Dec 31, 2017 19:58

Thanks for the early render. Very interesting.

Might we be able to see a render from the front so we can see the controls on the forward side of the throttle levers? I looks like there might be rotary control next to the pinky button on the outer lever but I can't see much else.

Thank you.

DHRF

Re: TECS – removing the cover

Postby DHRF » Sun Dec 31, 2017 20:07

grips are modular?
Last edited by DHRF on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21, edited 1 time in total.

aklambda

Re: Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

Postby aklambda » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15

Is this the space sim left stick, Kosmosima?

faybs

Postby faybs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38

Amazing :D

Quick couple of questions (space simmer here):

1. Is there going to be a detent in the middle of travel so it can be used as -max to 0 to max (ie forward and reverse thrust), or is it a 0 to max throttle (ie forward thrust only)?
2. Is there a way to lock the throttle levers so that they move as one? (including the stops)

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

azmodiuz

Postby azmodiuz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42

Holy shit ! Can not wait, I will be pre-ordering ASAP !

Could we please see a picture from another angle, to see what buttons the fingers have access to while on the grip please.

Radsoc

Postby Radsoc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 14:50

Are those analog mini joysticks?

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 14:57

faybs wrote:Amazing :D

Quick couple of questions (space simmer here):

1. Is there going to be a detent in the middle of travel so it can be used as -max to 0 to max (ie forward and reverse thrust), or is it a 0 to max throttle (ie forward thrust only)?
2. Is there a way to lock the throttle levers so that they move as one? (including the stops)

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

The very first post says the detentes are adjustable per-handle, and even removable. I'm sure (given VKB's level of Device Configuration software on the stick) this means that you can easily set up the throttle to be -100% -> +100% with any detentes you want, or whatever. Seems like a no-brainer that they'd be as programmable on the throttle.

I also have no doubt the two handles can be locked together. I've never seen a throttle with a grip like this (the two make up one 'shape' when side by side) that doesn't.
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

faybs

Postby faybs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:03

Thanks for the info. I don't know if there's more in the Russian forums (I can't read Russian), so I was asking because the OP only mentioned that there would be stops for Idle, Afterburner, and Afterburner max. Usually, if a product description doesn't say that something is completely customizable, it's because it's not. So my expectation is that unless stated otherwise by VKB, there will be some kind of machined bump at the one end of the throttle movement mechanism for the idle stop, and two similar ones near the other end for AB and AB max, and no other stops. Mind you, I'm only asking if there's a detent (ie just a small bump so you can tell by feel that you've reached the middle of the throttle's range), not a full stop with a lever that you have to pull to get over.

RangerXML

Postby RangerXML » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06

OMG, I just saw that single engine throttle, that looks sexy!

snuffles

Postby snuffles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04

Looks the SECS huh?

DawnWing

Postby DawnWing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:52

FINALLY!!!!!!!!
Today is a good day to the simmer.
Much better news than the bug plane of our dear delay master.
Thanks to our dear VKB boys.

RangerXML

Postby RangerXML » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46

snuffles wrote:
RangerXML wrote:OMG, I just saw that single engine throttle, that looks sexy!

Looks the SECS huh?

VKB SETS "Vintage" (Single Engine Throttle System)

pavsko

Postby pavsko » Wed Jan 03, 2018 14:14

"Vintage" throttle looks awsome! All the levers and trims are there :!:
I would only like to know if it would be possible to adjust a resistance (friction) of the throttle lever?

UIV
Мастер

Postby UIV » Wed Jan 03, 2018 15:21

Possible. From the bottom side.

Return to “Official announcements”