Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System (In Development)

Moderator: AdminGroup

AeroGator

Re: Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

Postby AeroGator » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14

StandingCow wrote:Anything new?
In a way :)
We're back from vacations.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

StandingCow

Postby StandingCow » Tue Aug 28, 2018 14:30

Hope you all feel rejuvenated! I am sure you were all pretty worn out with the crazy amount of work you all must deal with day to day. :)

javarenas52

Postby javarenas52 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:20

AeroGator wrote:
StandingCow wrote:Anything new?
In a way :)
We're back from vacations.

Are there any updates? Idk if you know but many of us are excited for the TECS. any teasers or images you would share? Also, have you guys though of ever making a throttle with the buttons on the left of the throttle? Kind of like the F/a-18 where all the buttons are on the left hand side of the throttle body. like switches an buttons.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31

javarenas52 wrote:Are there any updates? Idk if you know but many of us are excited for the TECS. any teasers or images you would share? Also, have you guys though of ever making a throttle with the buttons on the left of the throttle? Kind of like the F/a-18 where all the buttons are on the left hand side of the throttle body. like switches an buttons.

I fully understand you :) and thanks for encouragement.
However we quit making announcements before the product is ready to be marketed.
Too many people take announcements as firm promises to deliver by some date.
We are working on throttle as well as on other products. They are coming, nothing is left out or cancelled.
We know people are waiting for these devices and are going to deliver them at their best.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

ddrake1984

Postby ddrake1984 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28

Hype unfortunately has turned to fanatisism. I admire that you are all working on the TECS among other products and I definately look forward to your product lineup. All I ask, when it is time to announce, please also post pictures / videos and news on the HOTAS/HOSAS/SIMPIT discord server, many people on there are ready to drool over what you produce, myself included. :D

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:13

ddrake1984 wrote:myself included

There is something coming your way soon; the typhoon stopped us for a couple of days but we will try to catch up this week.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

StarLordRick

Postby StarLordRick » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48

its been a long time since anything came out from VKB and now with the new imposed Tariffs i wonder where these prices will be come January unless something changes. till then im still collecting my pennies

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23

StarLordRick wrote:its been a long time since anything came out from VKB and now with the new imposed Tariffs i wonder where these prices will be come January unless something changes. till then im still collecting my pennies

So far we haven't adjusted our prices.
Who knows what happens later, but we will try keeping everything as it is now for as long as we can.
This is yet another reason why we are trying our best to speed up. However we will speed up, not hurry up, as we don't want to sacrifice quality to speed.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

rrohde

Postby rrohde » Sat Oct 06, 2018 22:57

Some of you might have seen this on the Russian IL-2 forums, but here it is as well for you to see in our VKB forum thread here: a very rough first 'ergonomics test' of the 3D printed TECS throttle handle (printed in one chunk for testing; the real deal will of course be the split throttle setup). Automatic translation by Google.

VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

DawnWing

Postby DawnWing » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:58

It; seems we have a long time to await.

StandingCow

Postby StandingCow » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50

Ehhh, I mean it depends on what you mean by a long time? I really don't have any point of reference on how long it takes to go from that to a usable product. I think the longest and toughest part of the process would be design and ergonomics...? Be cool to get a little "behind the scenes" not on the TECS itself but on the entire process of designing toward final manufacturing a stick or a throttle.

DawnWing

Postby DawnWing » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:52

I think maybe we can order it at late 2019, and they will ship the throttle at 2020.

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Oct 13, 2018 16:38

While it is nice to see physical prototype parts, I too think if they're still testing ergonomics of the pieces, they're a long ways away.

The mechanical engagement of the sliding throttle (if it is still sliding, doesn't seem to be held that way in the pic) can be designed*. The smaller per-control type circuit boards might have most of their layout already determined from commonality with the stick - only the perimeter and mounting hole and connector orientation for cabling might need changing. But good injection molds take a while to make, need both exterior shape and interior mounting details which will affect one another. If they're still deciding on exterior shape, seems like that mold is a long way from being made.

I could be wrong, maybe they're only still evaluating the ergo feel of things like that 'ridge' around the thumb hat and such. But seems like you wouldn't be doing mod-and-print-again, you'd be able to test that with either addition of sugru or a knife to cut away....

None of above is intended to be disrespectful or too much "sideline quarterbacking". Just eager. Would LOVE to be very, very wrong.

*EDIT - now I comprehend the mount point and the base rectangle a little better, looking between the two pics. Does seem consistent with a sliding throttle grip.

SECOND EDIT - compare this to the 'front' view from the first post of this thread - what was a single recessed button in the grip appears to be gone and that looks like TWO hats now down at maybe index and middle finger positons on the "right side" (in use position) grip half.

THIRD EDIT - also, might be the limitations of how they had to print (which side was down on the plate) or still incomplete as shown (needs another piece printed) but I'm not seeing the big wheely thing in ring finger position or final pinky button, either. Pinky needs something to do! ;-)
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Gutser

Postby Gutser » Mon Oct 22, 2018 15:49

Radsoc wrote:Are those analog mini joysticks?

Looks awesome. Anyway, do you can answer this questions? The analog stick for the thumb is needed for strafe up and down and to the sides, for landing or tight turn manoeuvres. One of the main reasons why the CH throttle still is superior.

utopic

Postby utopic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 18:59

I've also been watching this thread with interest for quite some time, and was happy to see a hat instead of the single/simple button in the render.

And I'd also vote for an analog ministick instead of a 4way/8way hat switch.

Return to “Official announcements”