VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

Moderator: AdminGroup

rrohde

VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

Postby rrohde » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:14

The VKB Modern Combat Grip (MCG) has taken off!

“It is not easy to produce a good grip!”

The VKB 'Modern Combat Grip' turned out rich in functionality, reliable, ergonomical, and ended up remarkably well made. As a much welcomed side effect of the laconicity and elegance of our engineering solutions, came a sleek and streamlined low-waste technology that - in turn - resulted in affordable pricing.
You might find it interesting to learn that it took us less time, and cost us less effort and strain to design and develop the Gladiator as a full scale joystick - than making the MCG grip alone.
It was a tiring time, and it was a difficult project. However, the MCG is here now, and we see that this is good.

We thank all of you, our customers and dealers, forum readers and content contributors; without you, we would have never grown to this level. Without your feedback, we would have wasted a lot more time in the search of the direction in which to develop. And, we thank our patient family members, too.

MCG PRO (w/ English labels):

MCG (w/ Russian labels):

What are good grips made of?

A proper grip should feel in the pilot's hand as a monolith regardless its age and time in use.

• We made 12 – TWELVE – molds in order to offer you our trademark solid “VKB feel” and achieve the unparalleled sense of quality.
• The outer parts of the grip shell, as well as the buttons, had to be made from industrial grade ABS plastic.
• The internal parts are made of nylon.
• The MCG's triggers are uncompromisingly made from metal, like they should be.
• Electronics are also designed and manufactured to the highest standards.

A few Highlights:

• Tactile switches with extended lifetime are made by OMRON and bought directly from the original brand owner.
• Miniature hats (metal mechanism) are ALPS (MCG PRO version only).
• Contactless microsticks are also made by ALPS (the same model you would find in the SONY PlayStation controllers).
• The foldable trigger does not push the button directly; instead it utilizes a cam to make sure that no matter how hard you squeeze it, the button will only receive as much pressure as needed to click. The button itself, by the way, is an OMRON with a 10-million-clicks life expectancy.
• The MCG PRO version is equipped with a contactless magnetic (MaRS) sensor that allows to you program the buttons to work differently, depending on the position of the trigger:

– By default, the sensor reacts to flipping the trigger 'up' into the weapons SAFE position - you can assign any function you like to this within your favorite sim.
– In addition, you can program (via VKBdevCfg software) the trigger to utilize the ARMED position for an action, when flipping the trigger into the 'combat' (middle) position (while not squeezing it).
– And, of course, the trigger's FIRE mode (i.e., when squeezing the trigger) will trigger a button action.
∗ (the mechanical button clicks first, so in FIRE mode, the trigger acts in two-step mode: first, you open fire by triggering the mechanical button, and by further depressing the trigger you activate virtual FIRE).

• The brake lever (metal) also works with a contactless MaRS sensor analog axis.
• The AP DISENGAGE (ГАШЕТКА СУ) represents a two-stage trigger with extremely well-articulated set buttons, providing clear tactile feedback throughout both stages.

Internals:

Custom options:

As everything bearing the VKBsim logo, our Modern Combat Grip is modular in design. Choosing different modules, you can determine which functions you will have access to.
• For example you can replace the default '4-way+push' RESET (СБРОС ЗАДАЧИ) hat on the MCG PRO with a 'single push' button (optional, available from March 2018).
• On the MCG Pro, you can replace the colored hats and buttons with solid black ones (parts included).
• The VKBsim Twist Adapter (patent pending) is made as a standalone module; it is already being manufactured and is expected to enter the market after the Chinese New Year.
– All MCG grips are being made twist-ready; installing the twist adapter is easy and can be done in no time.
Come March 2018 we're hoping to start producing adapters that would make MCG TM Warthog compatible.

MCG electronics

Electronic components within the MCG deserve a separate mention:
• Its brain is based on a high-performing 32-bit ARM microcontroller.
– It processes data from the buttons, axes, and hats, and passes it over a 3-wire interface to the BlackBox main controller.
– A huge number of buttons and axes (24 and 7, respectively) are placed inside the grip and are interconnected with only 7 neatly traced cables.
– This does not only allow for safe and easy module replacement by the user, but it also makes everything more reliable.

Getting your MCG ready for action

Before taking off, you need to carry out a few procedures. But wait. Do not hurry. You haven't read the manual yet. Take it seriously. Done? OK, let's warm up before taxiing. Here is what you will have to do:

1. Adjust the palm rest using the supplied hex tool.
(a) there are 4 positions; find the one that's most comfortable to you.
2. IMPORTANT! You MUST first calibrate the device using either WIZZO_GF or VKBdevCfg.
(a) WIZZO is available here: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/wizzo_gf_0_98.zip
(b) VKBdevCfg is available here: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/VKBDev ... 83_8_5.zip

Calibrating procedure.

Using WIZZO:

1. Start WIZZO.
2. Flip the trigger 'up' (SAFE).
3. Return the trigger in the 'middle' position (ARMED); the contactless sensor will activate ARMED button.
4. Within WIZZO, click START. The SYS LED on the BlackBox will start blinking.
5. Fully squeeze the BRAKE (АВТ СТАРТ ТОРМОЗ) lever and release it.
6. Fully squeeze the foldable trigger. Let go to return it to middle position; then flip it 'up'.
7. Move the GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).
8. Move the MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).
9. Move the grip within its entire range in both pitch and roll (left/right/up/down).
(a) If T-Rudder pedals are connected, fully depress and release first the left pedal (important!), then the right one.
10. Press STOP. The SYS LED will stop blinking. The device will reboot. WIZZO will automatically shut down.

Using VKBDevcfg-C:

1. Start VKBDevcfg-C.
2. Click on the name of the joystick (top left window).
3. Flip the trigger 'up' (SAFE).
4. Return the trigger in the 'middle' position (ARMED); the contactless sensor will activate ARMED button.
5. Within VKBdevCfg, open Tools tab. Press Start Calibr. The SYS LED on the BlackBox will start blinking.
6. Fully squeeze the BRAKE (АВТ СТАРТ ТОРМОЗ) lever and release it.
7. Fully squeeze the foldable trigger. Let go to return it to middle position; then flip it 'up'.
8. Move the GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).
9. Move the MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО) hat within its entire range (left/right/up/down).
10. Move the grip within its entire range in both pitch and roll (left/right/up/down).
(a) If T-Rudder pedals are connected, fully depress and release first the left pedal (important!), then the right one.
11. Press End Calibr. The SYS LED will stop blinking. The device will reboot.

Control features.

The MCG is equipped with an unprecedented set of functions. Until now, no mass-produced joystick has been so packed with functionality.
• GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ) microstick axes are absolute.
This means that the axis parameter is proportional to the angle of deflection of the hat. Once it is released, the parameter returns to its original state.
• MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО) microstick is different though.
By default it is a 8-position POV (Point Of View) control.

– A Long press (over 0.3 sec) switches it into analog/relative mode.
∗ This means that the angle of deflection of the hat influences not the parameter, but the velocity of the parameter change. Slightly deflecting the hat will result in slow change of the axis parameter, but the farther you push it, the faster the change will occur.
– A Short press (less than 0.3 sec) will return the stick's axes back to original position (center).
– Another long press will activate POV mode again.

This mode is made for better convenience of looking around. Controlling the camera in this way can be faster and more precise. In the middle of the battle when you need to quickly move your eyes from left to right, our POV mode can come in quite handy.

∗ Pilots who use head trackers can use this microstick for trimming the plane or to control auxiliary axes, such as piston-prop plane's radiators.

Factory settings:

• X Y axes – Roll and Pitch
• Z axis– Rudder (T-Rudder pedals or twist axis)
• rX and rY axes – MASTER MODE (РЕЖИМ КБО)
• Y and X axes, rZ and Slider – GATE CONT (УПРАВ СТРОБ)
• Y and X axes – Brake Lever
• The foldable trigger (by default) produces button actions in the 'SAFE' (flipped up) position.

Above mentioned technical information may be updated and altered. It is recommended that you visit this forum occasionally for updates.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In 2017 we didn't make too many announcements of new products – there were other things that kept us busy to waste air on self-advertising. So what, you may ask, the whole year you were working only on the MCG?! – the answer is around the corner. After all, isn't keeping customers intrigued the best of all advertisements...?

All the best for the coming New Year from the VKB team!

Yours as always, Global VKB Team
VKB North America
https://VKBcontrollers.com

Rocky49

Re: VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

Postby Rocky49 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 18:27

Can I download the manual?

rtrski

Postby rtrski » Sat Dec 30, 2017 22:33

Excellent post, thank you, and the description in it of the calibration procedure clarifies all previous misunderstandings.

I can say as one of the MCGPro and Gunfighter Mk II (B) first wave recipients, I'm very impressed. So far the only things I've managed to do are various ways of goofing up then correcting the calibration, and then assigning dual-functions (long press vs. short press using "Tempo" option) to the 3 fixed buttons on the stick back face. But I am honestly quite, quite happy with my purchase. The interior shots are actually rather beautiful (spoken as someone who's seen the inside of a more 'consumer grade' offering stick (shudder)).

The tease of upcoming twist in the short term, and something mysterious to be announced, only makes me more happy.

Apologies in advance if I end up spamming stupid questions here; I'll try to keep them to a minimum and/or correct myself if I figure (finger?) things out between time of post and reply...
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

marcusstratus

Postby marcusstratus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 19:27

Excellent. Thanks for posting this rrhode as it keeps me excited while I wait for my grip to arrive via mail. Now to wait for lefty grip! :D

aklambda

Postby aklambda » Sun Dec 31, 2017 19:35

Yeah thank you for this. I cannot wait until I can order the mcg with gunfighter in Europe. I will either get a second one for my left hand (once that is available) or maybe the Kosmosima if it is revealed by then. Also love the throttle you announced today.

Happy new year everyone!

hon0

Postby hon0 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:57

The foldable trigger does not push the button directly; instead it utilizes a cam to make sure that no matter how hard you squeeze it, the button will only receive as much pressure as needed to click. The button itself, by the way, is an OMRON with a 10-million-clicks life expectancy.

Great design! Will we have the same things on main stick X, Y axis, I find it important especially for space sims where we often slam the stick to the border. May be it is already the case? :oops:

Congratulation again and good luck for this new years.
VKB Devcie Config v0.91.26 - Firmware version: v1.994

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51

Any idea on pricing for the twist adaptor? And shipping, even to Australia will be a lot cheaper for it than it was for the Gunfighter or MCG Pro, because it's so much smaller and lighter, right? I ask because money's a lot tighter than usual until at least mid-March, and I might have to save almost as hard for the twist adaptor as I did for either of the other two parts of my kickarse joystick even if it's only like $20-30US before shipping, especially depending on how shipping will be for it.

Thanks for understanding.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05

RecklessPrudence wrote:Any idea on pricing for the twist adaptor? And shipping, even to Australia will be a lot cheaper for it than it was for the Gunfighter or MCG Pro, because it's so much smaller and lighter, right? I ask because money's a lot tighter than usual until at least mid-March, and I might have to save almost as hard for the twist adaptor as I did for either of the other two parts of my kickarse joystick even if it's only like $20-30US before shipping, especially depending on how shipping will be for it.

Thanks for understanding.

The twist itself will be cr 40 bucks US, the shipment is a problem because for most carriers there is a minimum for the first 500g or 1kg, so it matters not whether I'm sending a 30g hat replacement to you or a 999g stick... :(
Best Regards,
AeroGator

RecklessPrudence

Postby RecklessPrudence » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:57

Ah. Damn. That might be stretching my budget then. Like I said, money's tight. Ah well, I'll try and get the first wave of them, but I might be stuck ordering a later lot of stock.

t00thPIK

Postby t00thPIK » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:22

Hi guys

With the new MCG grip being back in stock early, I'm tossing up whether to go for the standard MCG and Gunfighter II or wait for the MCG Pro stock to fill. The only function I'm missing on a standard MCG is the 4 way + push thumb hat. You mention that the buttons are customisable. Does that mean that, later on, I could convert the thumb button on the MCG to a 4 way hat button from the MCG PRO?

Edit: Just to clarify, what I gathered from that post was that only the MCG PRO is capable of customising buttons. Is this true, or have I misunderstood?
Cheers

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:59

t00thPIK wrote:I could convert the thumb button on the MCG to a 4 way hat button from the MCG PRO

This would be against the logic of marketing, wouldn't it?
The answer to it is NO.
MCG can not be modified into an MCGPRO. Well, I mean theoretically everything can be modified into anything, but the question is the price and effort.
In a word, this sort of modification is not possible to perform at home.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

MissMaverick

Postby MissMaverick » Tue May 29, 2018 8:28

So I received mine, after months of waiting.

Wrong instructions and no clue how to assemble the 'Pro' variant with the extension rod, nor change / alter the cams.

For almost £500 this is inexcusable, and just proves that this company doesn't care, has zero professionalism and are utterly incompetent when it comes to anything other than the technical aspects of their sticks.

Add to that the VERY sharp plastic edges on some of it that have cut me twice, and the sharp part of the metal flip trigger that presses painfully into my middle fingers knuckle on pressing... I don't know who tested this, but it's awful.

And still no link anywhere for the proper setup instructions... /smh

PhoenixCNE

Postby PhoenixCNE » Wed May 30, 2018 0:27

There is literally an entire section of the forum called "Manuals and Howtos", I do agree more documentation included would have been nice BUT no excuse to go completely off the rails and act like an ass over something that is easily answered/fixed. As for your sharpness problem I can't relate there isn't a sharp spot to speak of on the trigger (and I'm not sure wtf your doing to crush your knuckle, both triggers were not meant to be used at the exact same time)

MissMaverick

Postby MissMaverick » Wed May 30, 2018 2:43

1. There is no post on that forum that is a) obvious and b) that I've found after spending 20 mins looking.

2. I did not say I was pressing both at the same time; my metal trigger curls back towards the joystick at the very bottom and ends in a sharp point. This hits my MIDDLE FINGER knuckle and hurts.

3. The sharp part of plastic that has cut me twice is on the hand rest - where it ends and is not attached, it is very sharp.

4. The company representatives have repeatedly shown how unprofessional they are, and if after shipping the US versions with the wrong documentation, they couldn't be bothered to fix it for the EU versions that didn't ship for 5+ months after, then there is no more proof required.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:34

Show photos of the problem areas you are talking about. I think it will not be difficult?

Return to “Official announcements”