Re-Introducing the VKB-Sim MCG - 3 Variants

Moderator: AdminGroup

Echo1432

Re: Re-Introducing the VKB-Sim MCG - 3 Variants

Postby Echo1432 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:06

AeroGator wrote:
milliways wrote:How long will you support revision A gunfighters?

Both versions will be supported for the same period of time.

How's that working out for the Mamba guys? 'Cause you know, f' those 5 pin connectors, we need a new three pin connector... Oh you want a MCG offer with a 5 pin connector? We'll do a limited run...

This is shit, it's shit that its outta blue and it's piss poor management. Pick an interface and stick with it until you decide to redesign everything from the ground up..

Still waiting to see the numbers, how many people have had problems with bent pins?

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:16

Echo1432 wrote:Нow's that working out for the Mamba guys?

:idea:
Search forum for "MGC grip on Mamba".
SEARCHING FORUM WORKS (sometimes) and HELPS (always).
8)
Alternatively, check here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2773
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Echo1432

Postby Echo1432 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 20:08

I'd like to know how long until rev a is considered "legacy" just as the 5-pin is. It seems from the customer prospective that the MCG wasn't even originally conceived to come in the 5-pin connector until effected customers spoke up.

AeroGator

Postby AeroGator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:03

Echo1432 wrote:This is shit, it's shit that its outta blue and it's piss poor management

User Echo1432 receives an official warning - first ever in history of this forum.
We're here to help, and support, and listen to reasonable criticism presented in humane way.
Not to be reprimanded.
It'd be a gross misunderstanding to presume we would tolerate such language and attitude on the pages of this site.

One more time, and his account will be suspended for a month, two more times - his IP will be blocked for good.

Once again, we are OK with criticism. We're not OK with low class manners and bullying behavior.
Best Regards,
AeroGator

Variable

Postby Variable » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:23

Echo1432's approach notwithstanding, I do somewhat agree with his sentiment.

I very much appreciate that VKB has chosen to iterate and improve fast rather than support subpar products for years on end. However, as someone who bought a Gladiator 5pin, and then a Gunfighter Pro (rev A 3 pin), all of these interfaces are a bit frustrating. I don't mind missing out on new revision features, like the friction wheels on the newer gimbals when a new version comes out, that's just progress. But buying a gladiator, which was meant to have swappable sticks in the future, immediately no longer supporting even the same exact stick when the next version came out is very concerning, even though VKB is at this time clearly attempting to support all older interfaces.

Obviously there are engineering concerns that I may be unaware of, but if possible, I would personally prefer to buy a relatively inexpensive kit or adapter (<=$50) to upgrade my old Gladiator and Gunfighter to the new interface, and see VKB only sell sticks with that new interface, assuming at some point they find an interface they want to stay with. I'm buying VKB products because I like the quality, and I like the promised modularity. However, if interfaces switch regularly, modularity disappears quickly.

I do understand that VKB is a business, and must make decision accordingly, but I urge you to reconsider an adapter-first (or part-replacement-first) approach to these sorts of changes. The idea that I might want to buy a 5 pin MCG pro for my Gladiator Mk1, but won't be able to use it with the Gunfight Mk 5 base (2 years from now) that I buy is antithetical to what VKB mostly seems to claim. I find it very hard to believe that making different version of each grip will be more cost effective than adapters or replacement modules. I am very willing to take some additional length from an adapter if required.

That said, I've pre-ordered a Rev A 3pin MCG. I would love to keep up with the latest and greatest advancements VKB has to offer, but $160 vs $450 for an equivalent new setup, just to switch the direction of the interface contacts, is insane.

I can't help but think many consumers in this niche market would agree with my thoughts here, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for reading. Regards.

Edit: I want to point out that I bought the Gunfighter Rev A Pro set, but I would have preferred to have bought it with just the base and extension, and used an adapter for my already existing Gladiator stick, so that I didn't have to re-buy the stick. So, these sorts of concerns are already manifesting, in my opinion. And this is coming from someone still willing, and frankly wanting, to buy new VKB products. I'm sure some people may not be. To reiterate, I think VKB iterating fast and frequently is fantastic, but these modularity issues need to be considered and handled much more carefully in my opinion.

Return to “Official announcements”