STECS and Elite Dangerous

Moderator: AdminGroup

Chills

STECS and Elite Dangerous

Postby Chills » Fri Apr 05, 2024 16:33

Hello all, first post. I just received my STECS, replacing a TM T1600 throttle. I'm trying to map the buttons in Elite Dangerous, and quite a few buttons are not recognized. All four buttons on the front of the throttle, and two on the right side, so far. Would you know how to get the game to recognize all the buttons. I also noticed one of the buttons on the NXT Evo flight stick isn't working, the mid-thumb button. All other buttons seem to be recognized and map easily.

I play Elite through Steam on a Windows 10 PC in VR through Steamlink, if that helps at all.

fallout9

Re: STECS and Elite Dangerous

Postby fallout9 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 0:44

E:D will recognize only the first 32 buttons on a device and yours having more than that it's just ignoring buttons 33 and higher. In order to overcome that you'll have to split the device into 2 virtual controllers through VKBDevCfg:
- select the STECS at the top section of VKBDevCfg, navigate to the Global/Common panel, set the #Butt to 32 and the VC to 1, then press Set button. This will split your device into 2 virtual controllers, first with all the axes and 32 buttons and the second with all the buttons 33 and up.

Not sure why a button on the Gladiator won't work in E:D, as the Gladiators are within the 32 buttons limitation, but if you changed the default profile then maybe that's why.

rtrski

Re: STECS and Elite Dangerous

Postby rtrski » Sat Apr 06, 2024 16:01

Chills wrote:Hello all, first post. I just received my STECS, replacing a TM T1600 throttle. I'm trying to map the buttons in Elite Dangerous, and quite a few buttons are not recognized. All four buttons on the front of the throttle, and two on the right side, so far. Would you know how to get the game to recognize all the buttons. I also noticed one of the buttons on the NXT Evo flight stick isn't working, the mid-thumb button. All other buttons seem to be recognized and map easily.

I play Elite through Steam on a Windows 10 PC in VR through Steamlink, if that helps at all.

Fallout has the 32-button per device limit right. You can verify that Windows is seeing the button presses (e.g. the hardware is really working, even if the game didn't acknowledge it) using the VKBJoyTester program, it has a main window for graphing axes but will also show you button presses registered in a smaller subwindow.

But one other idea, in the VKBDevCfg software, you can if you want re-assign some of the buttons beyond #32 as "POV" directions. This may prevent you from having to split the device. It's what I did with my MCG Ultimate right-hand stick, to add (at the STICK level, although Elite can also do something similar) extra "logical button" presses to a long-press (TEMPO) vs. a short-press.

Elite will recognize POV #1 at least, a net 8 possible directions (up/down/left/right and the diagonals), and the 32 buttons.

Then in Elite you can also program short press vs. long press of a single button to different in-game actions. Just be careful which ones you try to do that with, e.g. charging your ECM or firing off the Thargoid shutdown neutralizer take some charge-up time, so you can't assign that button to a short vs. long press, as it needs the hold for the one function.

Something else I did was things like a particular HAT being my energy management ('pips'): up to engines, left to systems, right to weapons, down to 'reset'. That's all that's done for the in-game settings. But in VKBDefCfg I have press (center of hat) to a MACRO that goes "reset-up-up-up" (max engines), long-press (center of hat) to a MACRO that does "reset-left-right-right" (my preferred balance of weaps/shields but lower engine combat distribution).

I've read of others using macros for things like shield cell blank - thermal sink - shield cell blank. I just assigned those two deployments to the same button, one short press, one long press and can toggle one after the other if I want to but don't have the sequence running every time. Did that part directly in Elite in-game settings (so in VKB that particular button does not have a second logical assignment). Ditto with my chosen button for afterburner (short press) also being my FSD engage (long press).
RH VKB GF Mk III + Modern Combat Grip *ULTIMATE* (12/17 GFII , upgraded), _powered_ deploy!
LH VKB GF Mk III + Kosmosima Prem (02/19 GFII, upgraded), *lateral* mounted
Feet: Slaw Viper RX Pedals [Sorry, VKB, too gorgeous]

Return to “Technical Support”