Gunfighter MkIII + 100 mm extension issues

Moderator: AdminGroup

milo1973

Gunfighter MkIII + 100 mm extension issues

Postby milo1973 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 13:34

After more than 2 years of use, this combo now regularly loses electrical contact (red flashing light on the BB). It is most likely because the extension does not fit properly with the bottom of the MCG grip. In the image below, the extension is pressed right up inside the stick, and the pogo pins are fully compressed. The second image shows the dents where contact is made.
IMG_20240228_094033~2.jpg

IMG_20240228_094055~2.jpg

What seems to be happening here is that when the stick is clamped to the extension, it is impossible to completely restrict excess pivoting of the stick, especially if the spring force is strong (using #50 in my case) and sooner or later contact is lost. This is probably a result of this gap between the stick and the extension. Tightening the stick clamp pin-cam thing in place further, does not help. It seems like a terrible mechanical design, especially as the base of the extension is a perfect fit to the connector on the Gunfighter base (the connector on top of the extension is about 2mm longer than the one on the base...!?!).

My solution temporarily is to place an M12 nylon washer between the stick and extension, but I think I will probably have to replace the contact pad PCBAs and the pogo pin PCBA on the stick.

Where can I get these parts?

Has anyone else had this problem (especially this gap between stick and extension) and what was the solution?

fallout9

Re: Gunfighter MkIII + 100 mm extension issues

Postby fallout9 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 23:40

The pins on bottom of the grip are supposed to dig into the contact pads on the base for proper contact. The space shown in pics should not matter as long as the fastener is properly tightened when the 2 elements are in contact.
But we do provide replacements for both pins and contact pads boards, just fill up a service ticket.

milo1973

Re: Gunfighter MkIII + 100 mm extension issues

Postby milo1973 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 14:02

Great, thanks, I'll see how it goes with the modifications, and raise a ticket, as you suggest, if needed.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that the mechanical support from the fastener is simply not enough, if the stick and extension are not correctly in physical contact. I have already tightened them up to and beyond the point of failure, and the fastener cannot adequately support the stick on its own, especially if the spring force is high. In other words, the gap is definitely a problem.

Return to “Technical Support”