Gunfighter 1 / MCG X-Axis Failure

Moderator: AdminGroup

Allectus

Gunfighter 1 / MCG X-Axis Failure

Postby Allectus » Mon Feb 12, 2024 18:56

Hello,

My X-axis no longer registers any movement to the left/negative direction for my gunfighter/MCG combo. I believe it's first gen? Bought in 2017 and VKB Device Config reports it as VKBsim Gunfighter Modern Combat XT2 V2.165.

My issues began about a week ago when it began drifting slightly to the left after displacing from and subsequently returning to center. This would happen in either direction, though it seemed to happen more commonly when pulling to the right first; after which it would drift to the left. When this happened I could usually cajole it into not drifting by pulling it left or right and releasing a few times.

Last night, however, it began drifting and on a similar pull and release it started going full scale to the left (not a mere drift) in game despite physically being centered. I've was not able to recover it by any means while in game and had to quit out. When I tried recalibrating it the axis response is showing as all sorts of crazy. It registers absolutely no activity to the left anymore while pulling to the right sent it basically full scale with basically nothing in between. This is after trying to calibrate it so it may just be that the calibration is screwed without it receiving any signal from the left. Tried to recalibrate it a few more times and now it's still showing no activity pulling to the left but giving me smooth actuation to the right, but full scale physical pull only shows the axis moving like 20%--again seems to be a screwy calibration.

All other axis are working smoothly and as expected. The physical feel of the joystick seems fine. Electronically it's reporting completely crazy results on the x-axis though with absolutely no response when pulling to the left.

Any thoughts?

Ron61

Re: Gunfighter 1 / MCG X-Axis Failure

Postby Ron61 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 19:44

Check the space under the sensor. Perhaps some speck or shavings appeared that stuck to the magnet.
There were cases when the Grover washer stuck.
Well, check the cable itself and the reliability of the contact in the connector.

Allectus

Postby Allectus » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:13

Opened it up and it seems like the yellow wire sheered itself off. I could imagine soldering it, but would I have to worry about damaging it? Is there another way I could get a replacement harness (preferably with wires less prone to self-destructing)?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:16

Write to the seller or sales@vkb-sim.pro with a photo attached.

Allectus

Postby Allectus » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:47

I was able to fabricate a new harness and fix it:

I do not recommend doing this. They're 1.25 mm pitch JST connectors. I had to buy the connectors, 30 AWG wire, the terminals, and a specialty crimping tool. Total outlay was like $65 and 3 nights of pain as I repeatedly failed at crimping ant-sized connectors.

If this happens to you, and you aren't a watchmaker by trade, just buy pre-crimped connectors and solder them together.

AAAAAAANNNYYYYYWAAAY.

I've got full functionality restored!

Delta

Postby Delta » Sun Feb 18, 2024 15:11

They look more like PicoBlade to me. Tried to crimp them myself recently for a longer ATEM cable. Definitely a huge pain in the butt, I second your recommendation for pre-crimped cables.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:07

Allectus wrote:
I've got full functionality restored!

That's what matters in the end, congrats! :)

Return to “Technical Support”