GNX SEM short module-to-joystick cable

Moderator: AdminGroup

Native

GNX SEM short module-to-joystick cable

Postby Native » Fri Feb 09, 2024 18:35

Hey,
I got a big problem with that module-to-joystick cable. Why did you guys made it so short?
I got some table mounts and wanted to use it. But I can't use it with the SEM Module.

When it is on the right side of the joystick, the cable is way to short.

And I can't use it one the left side, because then it gets against the omni throttle.

So how can I solve this problem with this way to short cable?!
I hope I will get a helping answer in a short time, because right now i can't use it. :(
Greetings from Germany

Delta

Re: GNX SEM short module-to-joystick cable

Postby Delta » Fri Feb 09, 2024 19:32

Use the 4-pin to 3-pin cable. Plug the 3-pin into the stick's 4-pin socket such that the unused pin is on the same side as the black wire.

Native

Postby Native » Fri Feb 09, 2024 20:28

Isn't it the same length?
Greetings from Germany

stev3french

Postby stev3french » Fri Feb 09, 2024 22:43

Delta wrote:Use the 4-pin to 3-pin cable. Plug the 3-pin into the stick's 4-pin socket such that the unused pin is on the same side as the black wire.

I have done this, I used the 4-pin to 4-pin cable as well as the 3-pin to 4 pin, connecting the 3-pin to the stick.

I have an GA-FSM also in this setup, that is connected to the SEM via usb-c to usb-c. Not sure if that makes any of this different.

Native

Postby Native » Sat Feb 10, 2024 15:03

Delta wrote:Use the 4-pin to 3-pin cable. Plug the 3-pin into the stick's 4-pin socket such that the unused pin is on the same side as the black wire.

I've tried it right now and my joystick doesn't turn on this way after plugin in the usb cable.
Greetings from Germany

Native

Postby Native » Sat Feb 10, 2024 20:32

Since nothing helped, I found an emergency solution with a bit of DIY and simply bought a JST 2.0 4-pin 10 cm cable set. As the other end of the cable is open for soldering, I took two of these cables and soldered them together. This gave me a 20 cm cable, which is actually very practical, as for whatever reason the one front slot in the joystick doesn't seem to work (LEDs don't come on after connecting the USB cable) and I was able to pull the cable through the joystick to plug it in on the other side.

Now my joystick including the SEM module works.

Nevertheless, I am a bit disappointed with VKB because 1. there is no response from them and 2. that they included such a short cable at all. Has VKB never tested internally to connect the SEM modules from both sides of the joystick? Something like this must have been tested internally at least once before.

However... Thanks to a bit of DIY it's working now, but the disappointment is still there. I wanted to get some more modules, but I'm now wondering whether there will be the same problems again.

By the way... this are the cable I had bought from Amazon. Bear in mind that these must be soldered! If you want to buy from your local electrical shop or order elsewhere, it is only important to make sure that they are JST PH 2.0mm 4-pin plugs and of course long enough.
Greetings from Germany

Delta

Postby Delta » Sat Feb 10, 2024 21:45

Any official VKB agent would have told you the same thing I had told you, maybe including pictures. Over on the Discord server, we usually use this picture for illustration:
The 4-pin to 4-pin cable has always been designed for module-to-module connections. Short wires are less likely to get tangled somewhere.
For the joystick connection, a 3-pin plug is used because the legacy model of the Gladiator NXT only had a 3-pin socket for extension controllers. However, VKB might want to consider including a 4-pin cable instead and including a 3-pin housing for the user to swap to, like the current generation of MCG twist modules.

You are however right to be upset about this issue:
Native wrote:as for whatever reason the one front slot in the joystick doesn't seem to work (LEDs don't come on after connecting the USB cable) and I was able to pull the cable through the joystick to plug it in on the other side.

I have seen that happen once or twice before on various community sites in what appears to be an extremely rare and hard-to-reproduce issue that is also very difficult to find a sensible explanation for. For the vast majority of users, that connector works well, though of course that does not help you, and I hope VKB finds the root cause of that issue and rectifies it in the future.

Native

Postby Native » Sat Feb 10, 2024 22:02

I already had problems with my joysticks before, because they are the first versions (pre-sale) of the Gladiator NXT EVO's, as they have a different firmware and do not work at all with the currently released firmware versions.
Now a too short cable and a broken slot in the joystick makes for further disappointment against VKB, although otherwise I am really extremely satisfied with the joysticks and also the SEM module, although I also have something to criticise, but that is another topic. But knowing that there is still a broken slot is a bit annoying.

It's just these little blemishes here and there that could easily have been avoided.
After all, you can imagine that this troubleshooting is very annoying and also takes a lot of time, which could have been completely avoided.
But so that my post doesn't end up as a depressing one, I'll finish by saying that everything is now working and I'm really happy to have solved the problem in the end :D
Greetings from Germany

Native

Postby Native » Tue Feb 20, 2024 19:14

I thought my problem got solved, but a new problem has started :(

Whenever I shut down my computer and turn it back on, my right VKB Gladiator NXT EVO joystick, including the SEM module, fails to work. However, the left joystick operates without any issues. I disconnected the USB cable of the right joystick, waited a bit, and reconnected it, only to see the red and white lights on the joystick briefly illuminate before going out again. The joystick remains dead.

I then tried using the USB cable from the left joystick, but to no avail – I encountered the same issue. I removed the joystick from the table mount, unscrewed the bottom plate, and detached the connection cable to the SEM module. I noticed that the plug on the joystick was very loose and almost came off by itself – perhaps a soldering issue? Nevertheless, after connecting the joystick without the SEM module, it started working normally again. Reconnecting the SEM module, the joystick started normally once more.

What could be the issue here? Do I have to disassemble the joystick every time I start my PC to disconnect and reconnect the SEM connection cable? This doesn't seem practical.

I'm increasingly regretting the purchase of the first Gladiator NXT EVO, which exclusively runs on outdated firmware and is not compatible with newer versions. It appears to have been a significant mispurchase.
Greetings from Germany

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:11

Post some screenshots with VKBDevCfg to see what firmware/software versions you're using.

Native

Postby Native » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:22

here are the screenshot from the firmware:
I can't use newer ones, because I have one of the first Gladiator NXT EVO versions, where the new firmware versions doesn't work :(
Greetings from Germany

Delta

Postby Delta » Wed Feb 21, 2024 15:29

Just asked Jukelo on Discord, who has an old stick like that. The KMZ41 version of 2.17C (the current experimental build) works fine for them. The regular version still has the mini-throttle not-working, but that is the same on 2.16.5.

Does the joystick start up if you hold F1&F3 when you plug it in?

Native

Postby Native » Thu Feb 22, 2024 18:22

nice information about the 2.17C, I will try that out later, when I get my joysticks back. I am prepairing them to send my josticks and SEM module now to them to let them check it (contacted VKB with a support ticket).
I have tried it out and no, doesn't work.
Same problem again. Only when i unplug the cable from the SEM Modul, start the Joystick without the SEM Modul, unplug the USB, plug the SEM module cable in and start again. Then it starts normal as long I don't shut down my computer :roll: I have tried stand by too, but didn't work.

Update:
I've just realised that you must mean F1&F3 with the config software open and yes, it will start normally. What is the reason for this?
Update 2:
after shutting down and starting again my computer it didn't work with F1&F3. I tried it many times, but no... it doesn't start up. I am very confused now.
Greetings from Germany

Native

Postby Native » Thu Feb 22, 2024 19:03

This connectors seems to be the only one connection how it works without any problems?!
Because when I had the SEM Modul on the left side of the joystick before I got my table mount, it worked well. Since I changed to the right side I got this problem.
But the included cable would never reach to the other side... only with my DIY cable :roll: :D
Greetings from Germany

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 22:25

When Delta said you should use the 3 wires cable he knew what he was saying :)
Nice pic above btw, might use it on our Instagram account if you won't mind.

Return to “Technical Support”