STECS moving by its own weight

Moderator: AdminGroup

XIMX

STECS moving by its own weight

Postby XIMX » Mon Jan 22, 2024 19:49

Hello,

Is it intended that the STEC's grip moves by its own weight when left unattended?
Sure, when the friction is set very low there's not much to hold it. But to stop it from moving I have to tighten the screws so much that the STECS's hefty weight and two clamps at the front are not sufficient to hold the baseplate at the table when operating the throttle. Not to mention that this amount of friction makes it pretty hard to move the thing.

Is this intended? Is there a way to stabilize the grip without adding that much friction? Maybe some kind of serrated detent frame to hold it at any position?
Or is this some kind of defect?

Delta

Re: STECS moving by its own weight

Postby Delta » Tue Jan 23, 2024 14:37

Unless you have the mini version (which, according to the announcement, is not designed for non-mounted use), the friction setting needed to stop the grips from sagging should be much less than the one you need to lift the base plate off the table. That sounds like a defect to me.

XIMX

Postby XIMX » Tue Jan 23, 2024 17:28

Something I can fix by opening the thing...?

That reminds me that I already tried to open the baseplate, but the center screw didn't move at all. As in: I saw the included screw driver's shaft twist, but it still didn't move. :(

Czech6

Postby Czech6 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 22:10

I have the same issue with a Standard STECS. It doesn't lift up but it is hard to move it.

jlehtone

Postby jlehtone » Fri Jan 26, 2024 0:40

The grip is not weightless, with MTG-R being heavier that MTG-L, and it overhangs more on the full throttle side than the idle side. Hence, gravity has more leverage on the full throttle side. My Mini+ is already on table mount, so I'd rather not test how it would be if "free". I've set the friction to hold to 85% -- beyond that it still drifts/sags towards 100%. Subjectively, the grip is "heavy" to move at this tension, but any less tension and the sagging starts way earlier.

There is probably nothing that can be done -- not enough static friction and gravity pulls the grip to 100%, or enough friction and then more force is needed to move the grip. (Higher static friction, yet lower kinetic friction would be nice, but probably not an option.)

XIMX

Postby XIMX » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:08

I'd say, if the lever's weight interferes with it functionality it needs a counter weight.
Or accepting that a lever system like this doesn't make much sense and go for a rail system.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 21:04

The issue is simple - if the grips don't hold position tighten the screw. If the throttle slides on the desk change your position because it seems you're pushing it from the side instead of handling the grips from above.

XIMX

Postby XIMX » Sun Jan 28, 2024 13:07

It was on my desk, next to the flightsticks. The desk is on elbow-level, where it's supposed to be. The STECS (Mini Plus and above) are advertised as "a desktop stand-alone device".
So, this should have been perfectly suitable for the Mini Plus I tried.

On the other hand, the throttle didn't slide. It lifted. Placing it lower would only make it worse as it would be more of a pulling up than pulling backwards.

And besides of the necessity of fixing the device to the table, after fixing the screw to make the grip hold its position, the main axis of my throttle was that tight that it just doesn't make any sense to use as a space-sim HOTAS, where quick and precise movements are needed.

Return to “Technical Support”