What firmware file for Gunfighter IV SCG premium?

Moderator: AdminGroup

BlueDragonfly

What firmware file for Gunfighter IV SCG premium?

Postby BlueDragonfly » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:43

I am having a hard time (well impossible) getting the 2 controllers flashed. Here is what I have:
Gunfighter 4 SCG premium (right) + blackbox mk3
Gunfighter 4 SCG (left) + Omni-Throttle Adaptor + blackbox mk3

When I run (as admin) zbootloader2.exe, it is incorrectly identifying the stick as Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro XT.
I figure maybe I need to flash it to the correct controller, but I can't find it. I have 3 folders (from the 2_16_5.zip file from the webpage):
Gladiator_NXT_series
Gladiator_series
Gunfighter_series_and_T_rudders

Easy enough...I have a Gunfighter, so I click on that and I have the next set of folders:
BlackBox MK1
BlackBox MK2
and I have a file "BlackBox_Mk3_Unified_v2_16_5(2).vkb

So I tried the Blackbox_Mk3_Unifed file since I have that Blackbox, but when I flash it, it doesn't recognize my gunfighter as an SCG but again as a MOdern COmbat Pro XT with no twist.

So my questions are: which file should I use to flash the controllers? And once it recognizes the correct controller, how do you set it up since calibration doesn't appear to do anything in VKBDevCFG-C.exe?

fallout9

Re: What firmware file for Gunfighter IV SCG premium?

Postby fallout9 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:30

You don't need to reflash, just run VKBDevCfg, select the device a the top, click the Default button under the Tools tab, then click Yes when the popup asking to configure shows up. Calibrate afterwards.

BlueDragonfly

Postby BlueDragonfly » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:27

OK, thanks for the suggestion. I did what you suggested and no change: It is showing up as a Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro XT2 v2.165 controller und VKBDevCfg. So I click on the device it is showing and a popup says it needs to be calibrated, I hit OK, press the Start Calibration button (also under tools) and the button press does nothing.

I also went into test and it recognizes the X and Y Axis, but doesn't respond on the Z axis when I twist it (Plus it has sliders for Rot Y, Ro Z, Slider 1 and 2).

Any suggestions? I assume once it recognizes the controller as a Gunfighter 4 SCG, these problems will go away...but how do I get it to recognize it?

Since it wasn't recognizing my controller, I reflashed it to Blackbox Mk 3:

And when I opened up VKBDecCfg, I don't have any options under tools:

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:34

Step by step:
- leave only 1 joystick plugged;
- run VKBDevCfg as Admin;
- select the device at the top;
- if you get any popups asking to calibrate click No;
- click the Tools tab, then the Default button;
- after restart select again the device at the top if not already selected;
- click Yes at the popup asking to configure;
- after another restart click No to calibration popup;
- navigate to the Test/Axes panel, then click Start Calibr button under the Tools tab;
- calibrate all the axes bu moving them through the whole range slowly, a few times;
- when done, click End Calibr button and we're done with it;
- do exactly the same thing for the other on, but don't forget to work with only 1 joystick connected so you won't get confused.

BlueDragonfly

Postby BlueDragonfly » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:40

To start, a big THANK YOU you Fallout9. Your suggestions didn't work, but they gave me hope to persist until I found out what the problem might be. Since I finally have both sticks recognized and working, I want to leave this as a post-mortem in the hopes it helps anyone with a similar problem.

The issue on both controllers was the system wasn't finding the stick/grip. Rather than the software saying this, it says it is a Gunfighter Modern Pro XT. This makes it a lot harder to identify the problem since you are looking at the issue as software based when it is likely hardware based.

So how do you identify that it isn't finding the grip? There are two ways that I found out help point to this as being the problem:
1. Go into the test buttons menu and press the buttons and see if the VKBDevCfg app shows you it recognized the button by lighting one of the numbers up on a button press. If it isn't lighting up the buttons in the software, it isn't seeing the stick
2. In the test tab, go to the external devices subtab. If it was like mine, it recognizes the gunfighter base and there is a green bar to the right of the icon. For the stick, which showed as the Gunfighter Modern Pro XT, there was a solid red bar next to it: the software was getting no communications from the stick.

If this is your issue, the problem is almost definitely a bad connection you need to fix. The two areas that I made sure were fully connected were:
1. Insuring the base cable makes a click sound when put into the interface board. When I connected it in previously, it looked firmly seated, but I don't think I heard the click to indicate it was locked into place, and
2. The grip/stick wasn't fully contacting the base. Make sure when you connect the two they are pressed firmly together and tighten the screws to make sure they stay that way.

After that, the system seemed to register each of the devices.

Return to “Technical Support”