GF III Base with SCG (R) not recognized

Moderator: AdminGroup

Aurelius

GF III Base with SCG (R) not recognized

Postby Aurelius » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:34

Hello VKB Gurus - It's been a while since I last used my excellent GF III base and right-handed SCG Pro. For whatever reason, they are not showing up in Windows 11 (joystick configuration tool) and when I activate VKBDevCfg (version 2.16), the joystick shows up in the upper box but when I go to calibrate it (after hitting default), the test box with axes is not showing any axes or buttons. (For what it is worth, the joystick is powering up and shows a blue light (not axes mode) in the upper part of the SCG grip.) This SCG Pro/GF combo is also not recognized by Steam for use with DCS World 2.9 (which just came out). I've never had any difficulties with VKB before. Can someone walk me through the re-recognition pathway.(I have tried removing from USB. I have tried flashing the firmware to 2.16.5 which works fine but then no axes appear. I have taken apart the joystick to confirm that everything is electrically connected and working. I have restarted Windows 11 with the joystick both on and off. All of this troubleshooting has provided no illumination.)

Victorus

Re: GF III Base with SCG (R) not recognized

Postby Victorus » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:01

Launch VKBDevCfg, show screenshots of tabs: External, axes, common.
Руководство пользователя по контроллерам VKB (VKB controllers User Guide) Ru&En
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/LlqiYtIrIetBOQ

Aurelius

Postby Aurelius » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:49

Very, very strange Victorus (with that name, have you ever considered becoming a space marine from Warhammer 40K?), ... as soon as I plugged my stick back into the powered USB hub (the same powered USB hub I was using just a bit ago (yes, I confirmed it is electrically working and transmitting data just fine)), Windows recognized it, ... as did VKBDevCfg. I was able to calibrate the axes and see the buttons but no go with Steam and still does not appear in DCS World 2.9. Peruse the following screenshots:

(I do not know what you mean by "common" with respect to VKBDevCfg.)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-22 013749.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 013711.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 014123.png
Screenshot 2023-10-22 014208.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 21:33

Turn off everything Steam Controller related, it's known to interfere with joysticks.

Aurelius

Postby Aurelius » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:43

Thanks Fallout for contributing!

So, this evening, I got on the VKB Discord channel with Dead Walking, an American based in Alaska and we troubleshot the f#$! out of this joystick. Turns out the problem was either an old, interfering HID Human Interface Device game controller entry in Device Manager (Dead's suggestion) or a duplicate HID Event Filter driver (my suggestion). Occasionally, when you install the Chipset Device Software driver for your motherboard (say, right after installing a new motherboard), it will also auto-install the HID Event Filter driver along with itself. Unfortunately, Windows Update does not always recognize this and then grabs its own HID Event Filter driver especially if it thinks the one already installed is outdated. Obviously if you have two drivers, you will have a conflict with USB connected devices. We also removed all the old HID Human Interface Device game controller entries (must use View -> Show Hidden Devices to see these) in Device Manager.

One of those two seemed to do the trick. I'm gonna play with it over the next few days and check a few things I have not fooled with in some time. I'll report back what I find but fortunately, there is nothing wrong with the base or grip (not that I suspected there was anyway). I've never had a stick work electronically as well as the VKBs (and that includes the latest Virpil sticks). More details in a few days, .....

Also, for clarification purposes, this problem was not related to Steam or DCS. That said, in Steam, you want all controller settings off. You can also right click on DCS World in your steam library -> properties -> controller -> then set override for DCS World Steam to disable Steam input (unless for some odd reason, you are using a handheld xbox-like controller with your joystick/throttle/etc ...

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 21:25

Well, Dead Walking is like that, persistent until he sees the issue gone :)
Glad you got back on track and you like our hardware; surely you won't have any more issues on that side.

Return to “Technical Support”