Failed USB HID Controller

Moderator: AdminGroup

I Have a Name

Failed USB HID Controller

Postby I Have a Name » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:41

I ordered a USB Controller card for a SEM so I could position the SEM independently of the THQ throttles I had set up. I haven't used my VKB modules much until a month ago when I received desk mounts. After having difficulty trying to configure the SEM flap and gear levers to my flight sim, I did an internet search and found I needed to change the number of detents on the levers in software to match the actual detent pieces installed. Who knew, well obviously not me. I started to do this Sun Oct 1st when during the set up process my SEM lights went out and the USB Controller LED began blinking. The SEM could no longer be seen by DevCfg nor would zBootloader see it. After that I did the following:

1. Had a good cry.

2. Jumpered the boot pins on the Controller card and managed to flash it. At this point the SEM would only show up as Njoy32 zBootloader.

3. Installed the suspect Controller card in one of my THQ modules (I have two ganged together) with the modules not being seen in DevCfg.

4. Reinstalled the good Controller card back in the THQ modules and then connected the SEM to the modules using the bus card. After experimenting with flashing and pushing the DevCfg Default button, the SEM showed up and worked properly, along with both THQ modules.

5. Installed the good Controller card into the SEM, reflashed and defaulted the module in DevCfg. The SEM was seen by DevCfg and everything operated properly.

The Controller card was flashed to the latest revision v2_16_5 shortly after the revision was released last month. At this point I'd say my Controller card is kaput. Unless there is something else I can do to the card - secret handshake, witchcraft; I'll submit a Support Ticket.

The Controller card seemed to have failed over several hours. It went from blinking the LED when installed in a module to eventually outright dying. My brother, who received his VKB modules not too long ago, had his Controller card exhibit failure hours before mine except his died pretty quick. That will teach him not to cheap out and only get one card.

fallout9

Re: Failed USB HID Controller

Postby fallout9 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 23:30

They don't get fried so easily. Stick to the service ticket, you'll get instructions how to get it out of bootloader mode.

Return to “Technical Support”