Gladiator NXT EVO L & R + SEM = No sliders/throttle wheel at Joysticks [Solved]

Moderator: AdminGroup

Native

Re: Gladiator NXT EVO L & R + SEM = No sliders/throttle wheel at Joysticks

Postby Native » Mon Sep 25, 2023 20:52

fallout9 wrote:Did you clicked the Default button after reflashing, followed by clicking Yes for the configure popup?

oh, yeah... always.
Default, bootloader, calibration
Greetings from Germany

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 20:53

I repeat - did you do this?
USBDeview.png

Native

Postby Native » Mon Sep 25, 2023 21:03

I am very sorry, to be honest, I didn't saw the post. I am doing it now :oops:
Greetings from Germany

Native

Postby Native » Mon Sep 25, 2023 21:12

Of course with my bad luck... it didn't help too.
I have uninstalled both sticks with USBDeview, then I have used only the right stick with all the official stable Version of software, bootloader and firmware and I came to the same problem.
I am very close to give up and use the very olf firmware :(
I am already very thankful that you were still helping me.
Greetings from Germany

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 21:54

Native wrote:Default, bootloader, calibration

The right order is: reflash, Default, Yes for configure, calibrate. You can skip the calibration if you're just jumping firmware versions.

Native

Postby Native » Mon Sep 25, 2023 22:02

But I am still stuck at my old firmware :(
Greetings from Germany

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 22:17

Try the latest stable and get through the sequence as explained above.
Have you tried a different computer/laptop? Or, at least, reboot in Safe mode with no other background apps running and nothing plugged to USB ports other than joystick, mouse and keyboard?

Delta

Postby Delta » Mon Sep 25, 2023 23:25

This reminds me of a bug seen by a small number of Discord users who had very early models of EVO (before the rubber rings were added to the damper screws). Somehow, the mini throttle would not work on even modstly recent firmware versions, and it depended on the variant, too. I think they were able to get it to work by either flashing a relatively old firmware (like 2.12.2) or a different variant (e.g. KMZ41 - note that axes may have to be inverted after every default).

Native

Postby Native » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:40

I had bought two of the first Evos with early bird. So yeah, only my old firmware works right now. How can i get a newer firmware working? What is this KMZ41? :shock:
Greetings from Germany

Native

Postby Native » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:58

Okay, my problem got finally solved. You have found the problem Delta :idea: :!: I'm truly grateful for your help!
Delta wrote:This reminds me of a bug seen by a small number of Discord users who had very early models of EVO (before the rubber rings were added to the damper screws). Somehow, the mini throttle would not work on even modstly recent firmware versions, and it depended on the variant, too. I think they were able to get it to work by either flashing a relatively old firmware (like 2.12.2) or a different variant (e.g. KMZ41 - note that axes may have to be inverted after every default).

I have installed the _Gladiator_EVO_kmz41_v2_16_5.vkb and _Gladiator_EVO_OTA_kmz41_v2_16_5.vkb and now everything works great!

So is this KMZ for the first versions of the EVO or how can I understand this?
And about the rubber rings... do I need them too?! :?:
Greetings from Germany

Delta

Postby Delta » Tue Sep 26, 2023 18:36

Native wrote:So is this KMZ for the first versions of the EVO or how can I understand this?

Quite on the contrary. It was designed for newer devices, where a different chip is used in the MaRS sensor (most MaRS sensors have used the NXP KMZ49 chip, but due to component shortages, the KMZ41 had to be used as a second source at times). Due to minute pinout differences between the chip, it requires different defaults for axis inversion. It is a mystery how that would affect the throttle wheel, but apparently it does, and I am inclined to believe a firmware bug is to blame for that. It is quite surprising how that only affects devices that are FAR too old to be using KMZ41 chips, though.
Native wrote:And about the rubber rings... do I need them too?! :?:

They are more of a comfort feature for those that use really loose dampers. Prevent the screws from falling out when the screw is completely unscrewed, which can happen when you are a bit too eager while releasing the damper.

PryingMantis

Re: Gladiator NXT EVO L & R + SEM = No sliders/throttle wheel at Joysticks [Solved]

Postby PryingMantis » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:59

I'll have to try this. Same thing happened to mine after the firmware update. Lost a throttle axis on my THQ as well.

PryingMantis

Re: Gladiator NXT EVO L & R + SEM = No sliders/throttle wheel at Joysticks [Solved]

Postby PryingMantis » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53

CONFIRMED!

This fixed the issue on my Gladiator NXT EVO as well.

Thank you, Delta. Thank you, Native for taking the time to remark on here that a fix actually worked for you too. That is quite helpful for others.

However, this only adds to my point in another thread. Simple measures on the part of VKB can eliminate much of this hassle from the user side, and cut down on the amount of times we have to 'bother' you (VKB). Under each device on the website should be the firmware for that single device. If there are multiple versions of a device, such as in this case, create instructions so we can find out which hardware version we have (preferrably without disassembling it), and install the correct version of firmware from the get go.

Or, go the next step and create a program that detects the hardware, and recommends the proper firmware for that device and it will cut out much of the headaches from both sides.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:28

Ron61 wrote:How much can you write about the correspondence between the configurator version and the firmware?
Once again - in the configurator header (topmost line), in brackets, the recommended (minimum) firmware is indicated. Higher is possible, lower is not. Follow this simple rule.
You always have a choice - to stay on older, more stable firmware (and configurators), or to become a tester of the unknown with all the ensuing consequences. There can be thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of user system configurations and it is not realistic to provide for all possible options.
And only God knows what is being done in the registry.

Really, how much can you write?

Clearly Ron, it hasn't been enough. Since I am new to VKB, perhaps I didn't get the memo. Funny, I don't recall that tidbit in the instructions either, or in the videos when I assembled them, or anywhere when I downloaded the firmware, the configurator, or the bootloader. Nor when I started any of these programs up trying to fix something I didn't break. So please enlighten us Ron, us, the end users, the plebs, the peons, the ignorants. Where are we supposed to see this magnum opus you authored? Ohhhhhhh, wait a minute, here in the forums? On 'tech support'? Where we 'shouldn't' have to go when we pay for a product that should work out of the box? Where we converge enmasse when our stuff is busted by a firmware released publicly that never should have seen the light of day? QA much?

And by the by - my deepest most heartfelt apologies for not respecting all of your time that you have spent educating us. Sorry that my measly 30+ hours of troubleshooting a product, for the optimal 1 hour of usage I got out of if before it was broken by an update, is not sufficient enough experience for me to understand all the nuances and enlightenment you have painstakingly brought up ad nauseam.

Like we are all supposed to know this particular detail? I only looked in this thread because another device I own was broken by the firmware along with this one, and I'm still trying to get that resolved. Otherwise, I would have no way to bask in the light of your genius, and witness the efforts of your fatigue ridden fingers. Let me know if you need an extra set of hands to pat yourself on the back with. Since your hands must be killing you.

It's clearly helpful to berate customers and make them feel like trash when they are looking for help fixing their devices they bought; that were broken by a developer of the product.

I do not know if you work for VKB, but we chose to spend our hard earned $$ on these products. I get that not every customer is pleasant, or courteous, or respectful. Hell, I watched the entitled nonsense in the STECS thread over the past couple years. But, there are other products out there. If we can't be treated with respect and appreciation for helping the people of VKB make a living creating cool awesome devices they are passionate about, then we can move along and spend our cash on trashmaster, or logiwreck instead. I certainly hope you get the credit you deserve, and your life improves from the state it is currently in.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:50

@PryingMantis

Your whole post is of poor taste considering Ron doesn't work for us, he's just an old friend and a great engineer who's offering assistance and providing advice on his own time and patience for many years. Also, English is not his native language and he's using an automatic translator often, so you could blame that too if you find his replies offending in any way.

It's not the best situation that you end up here, asking for technical support, instead of enjoying the product you paid for, but this could happen for any product, no matter how expensive the product or how big the maker. The thread you chose to voice your frustration is in no way related to your issue. It is not even a firmware issue, as there are only 2 or 3 reports on this, reported to many thousands of similar products we already sold. It could be a chipset issue, or a computer issue, or a power issue. Same as your issue - there are hundreds and thousands of people using a setup similar with yours with no issues. Only a few have reported problems either here or on the support tickets and most of them have been solved by either updating their computer drivers, eliminating intrusive software or providing a more stable connection to the PC. And even if it'd be a hardware or software issue, please accept we're humans too and we can make mistakes - if Nvidia could roll out a bad drivers package to millions of users, Cyberpunk and Skyrim be released with game breaking bugs and a Tesla catching fire here and there, please understand that shit could happen anytime and to anyone.

Return to “Technical Support”