BRICKED - GNX Dual THQ + SEM-V Combo

Moderator: AdminGroup

PryingMantis

BRICKED - GNX Dual THQ + SEM-V Combo

Postby PryingMantis » Thu Sep 21, 2023 0:50

I installed the WWII Throttle Grip today on my GNX Dual THQ + SEM-V Combo. I followed the VKB video on install, and VKBcfg -> set default, calibrate, etc. The device kept working but I was unable to get the buttons to function on the grip. In my quest to fix this, I attempted to troubleshoot using the forums. I found a post stating the firmware needed to be updated in order to recognize the handle. I attempted to flash v2-16-5. After receiving errors in the ZBootloader, I attempted different files until one took - _"GNX_USB_Controller_v2_16_5". That was the successful one.

Unfortunately, it bricked the device and no longer showed up in VKBcfg except by the name NoJoy32 v02.31. At first the device was completely dead and would not reconnect to USB. I shorted the jumper and fixed that, but it will only show up as NoJoy32, will not allow me to flash any other file (aside from _GNX_USB_Controller_v2_16_5), and when running VKBcfg, it will not allow me to reset anything, or do anything.

Please advise on how to get the device back first so I can flash the correct firmware (please let me know which file exactly for this device), and then we can take the throttle grip problem from there.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

fallout9

Re: BRICKED - GNX Dual THQ + SEM-V Combo

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:01

Looks like you're in bootloader mode; run zBootloader and flash the firmware. Put the THQ carrying the WWII throttle grip on sub4 afterwards, otherwise the buttons on the grip won't get recognized.
Try to do this while connected directly to the back of computer.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Thu Sep 21, 2023 17:38

Thanks, Fallout. Will try it going direct to the back of the PC, I didn't try that. I did try initially setting the subaddress to 4. It wasn't taking so I went to the firmware update option to try to resolve it. In hindsight, I think it was failing as I was attempting to set the subaddress with the buttons on the slave unit rather than the master.

Which file am I supposed to flash with for this unit? I assumed it is - '_Gladiator_NXT_v2_16_5', is this correct?

If that file is correct, I get the following message - ' !!! Device signature not correct - flash fail !!! - Please check version of firmware file for this device.'

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 0:09

Use the _GNX_USB_Controller_v2_16_5 firmware file if you have only NXT modules, one of them carrying a GNX HID Controller.
Use the _Gladiator_NXT_v2_16_5 firmware file if you have a Gladiator NXT (not EVO!) standalone or in combination with NXT modules (no GNX HID Controller).

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Fri Sep 22, 2023 0:17

I have the Gladiator NXT EVO on one port, and the GNX Dual THQ + SEM-V Combo on another port.

Will try again. But I didn't have success last time. I'll post results shortly. Thank you.

DeadWalking

Postby DeadWalking » Fri Sep 22, 2023 0:28

I had issues with 2.16.5 with Dual SEMs on one HID Controller.
I went as far as to remove the secondary SEM and only worked with a single SEM on the controller and still could not get it to show in Windows or VKBDevCFG.
No matter what method of sub address or default state the SEM was in prior to the firmware attempt for 2.16.5.

If the HID Controller is in the SEM you might want to try moving it to the THQ.
If the HID Controller is in the THQ then you might try removing the SEM while setting up the THQ and getting the sub addressing setup.
Once registering in VKBDevCFG try adding the SEM back into the equation.

Something is up with 2.16.5 and SEM modules. I have no idea if affects the FSM or THQ at all, I don't own either.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Fri Sep 22, 2023 0:33

With both devices plugged in, and the GNX Dual THQ + SEM-V Combo plugged into the back of the PC, I get the same result. I did not try GNX_USB_Controller firmware per your description. I did try the EVO and results are the same - ' !!! Device signature not correct - flash fail !!! - Please check version of firmware file for this device.'

However, I can now see both devices in VKBDevCfg. One is listed as -

'VKB Sim Gladiator EVO R XT2 v2.165.'
and
'zBoot Njoy32 v02.31'

If I click on Njoy32 I cannot do anything. If I click on Gladiator EVO, then click back on Njoy32, I have menu options. If I click Default, I get a pop up saying ONLY FOR PRO.

For some reason, the Gladiator EVO is showing up in VKBDevcfg, but no longer in ZBootloader2

I'll await word before I take another step. See photos attached for the setup.
Attachments
View 1.jpg

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:00

You're trying to flash the wrong firmware. If the one in the pic is your device, then you need this file: _GNX_USB_Controller_v2_16_5
I suggest to unplug the Gladiator from USB while you're flashing and calibrating the modules, so you won't get confused by the names.
If you get this label 'zBoot Njoy32 v02.31' in VKBDevCfg it means that the device is in bootloader mode, so nothing to do within VKBDevCfg. Run zBootloader, click the ... button, locate and load the firmware file mentioned above, then click Flash It! After successful flashing the zBootloader will close be itself and you will be able to use VKBDevCfg to reset to default your device. After resetting it to default you'll get a popup which will ask you to configure - click Yes.
Afterwards set the THW/WWII to sub4 like explained here and calibrate the whole thing.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Fri Sep 22, 2023 17:36

"After successful flashing the zBootloader will close be itself and you will be able to use VKBDevCfg to reset to default your device. After resetting it to default you'll get a popup which will ask you to configure - click Yes."

And that is part of the problem. It's stuck in bootloader mode. I enter VKBDevCfg and it lists it as Njoy32 with no options to do anything. See screenshot.

VKBDevCfg after Flash.png

Also, the flash process is strange. It restarted the device 4 or 5 times before shutting down the zBootLoader, unlike when I flashed the gladiator and it closed immediately. I flashed it again to see if it would take after the failed VKBDevCfg I showed you, and it just hangs (see screen).

Flash stuck.png

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Fri Sep 22, 2023 19:15

Perhaps this is helpful. Caught this error in another attempt to flash. ZBootloader says 100% but will not self-close. See image.

Also - to rule out any redundancies. I have killed all Razer, MSI, instances or any other LED controls. I have the bootloader and the devcfg in the same folder along with the firmware. I have also tried unplugging the slave THQ (which holds the WWII throttle) and the SEM from the master and still getting no where with trying to flash just the master by itself.

Following the instructions for shorting the boot jumper elicits no flashing lights or reset from the device. Additionally, changing USB ports has no effect.

Error Chip Fail.png

I was able to get a little further. I had my audio-technica mic in one of my usb ports. I unplugged it and tried to flash again. I was able to get much further in, but still failed with a CRC error. I have disconnected the WWII throttle, and the other THQ and SEM modules to try and isolate. Here's a screenshot of the error.

CRC Error.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:11

There's still something blocking it from running properly. Do you have another computer/laptop nearby? Or, at least, you could try rebooting in safe mode.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Sat Sep 23, 2023 15:27

I tried safe mode last night. Was able to get all the way through flash and have the zbootloader close on it's own, bit it didn't change the device. Still stuck in boot mode. Still shows up as Njoy32.

Also tried another USB C cable, as I saw that fixed someone else with a CRC error, but no change.

MIght be able to access a laptop later today to try that. I have a dualboot system so I did try it in Linux Mint. Zbootloader says "No loader or Njoy32 Controller." No matter what USB port I jack into, the controller won't show up in zBootloader in Linux.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 19:48

When you'll try the other computer pull the GNX HID Controller out and flash it separately, without the modules attached.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Sat Sep 23, 2023 23:40

Making progress...

1. Used a laptop (Windows 11) and FLASHed the firmware 2_16_5 USB Controller with no issue. Nice and smooth. LED immediately went into flashing mode. Verified with VKBDevCfg and it no longer showed up as Njoy32.
2. Placed the board back into the THQ and used VKBDevCfg to set to default, and calibrated the Master THQ as a solo first.
3. PROBLEM - this unit has three axis, levers, sliders, but only two of them show up in VKBDevCfg. Any ideas here? Center one is not functioning. It could have been like this all along, I have not programmed that since I bought it TBH.
4. Reconnected the second THQ, and set Default, and re-calibrated in VKBDevCfg. All good.

Reattaching the SEM next and will update you on that. I have removed the WWII throttle for the moment and will reinstall that once the device is fully functional again. Please let me know if you have any ideas on that center axis.

Thank you very much for your time/help.

PryingMantis

Postby PryingMantis » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:17

FIXED!!!

Have to say though, you all (VKB) have some serious problems on hand with these devices and your processes/user-'UN'-friendliness. I will send more suggestions through appropriate channels, but this whole thing consumed about 20 to 25 hours of my week and all kicked off with trying to follow the video of how to install the WWII Throttle. There is no way that users should be jumping through all these hoops to get these devices functioning. Back to this problem, to help anyone else who may come across the same problem avoid the hell of trying to fix this (hope you don't!!!) -

I reinstalled the SEM module and had everything back to working, calibrated. As soon as I went back to the WWII Throttle install - BAM!!! Off the rails again. Turned out the stock USB cable that came with the device crapped out in the process of all this. (The only reason I thought of this, was thanks to Fallout helping someone else with a similar issue and it was the cable - Thank you!).

I had to run out and get a replacement. Once I was able to get power back to the device, I went through the VKBDevCfg and hit default. This is where things went to hell originally, and I had started trying all sorts of fixes, making the problem worse. Once again, the problems started installing the new throttle.

The default button threw the device into blackout mode (no lights, no registration in bootloader, windows, or VKBDevCfg) and I could not get it back on my machine with any USB ports. I had to take the device back to the laptop again, and boot it up from there. I was then able to use VKBDevCfg to calibrate the whole module with the WWII throttle included, AND...I was able to get the buttons functional on the throttle.

So everything is now calibrated and working again.

BUYER BEWARE to anyone reading this thread - some of the off the shelf USB to USB-C cables you buy (in my case Walmart), are too fat to fit in the narrow slot on your THQ modules. I found this out after putting the bottom panel back together and trying to plug in.
Last edited by PryingMantis on Sun Sep 24, 2023 22:26, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Technical Support”