VKB Gunfighter MCG Ultimate Axis Jump

Moderator: AdminGroup

eskander

VKB Gunfighter MCG Ultimate Axis Jump

Postby eskander » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:32

Sadly another issue with this device after having cam issues originally:

MCG Ultimate (no twist); replaced gimbal assembly with a warranty replacement after initial issues of cam seating/grinding. Used for approx 6 months without issue.

Now getting issues on Y-Axis: When I pull the stick slightly toward me (pitch up), there's a point (around 33700) where suddenly the values registered on the y-axis jump to the extreme max (65535) then if gradual pressure continues, it drops back to expected values; however, even at the extreme y-axis toward me, the max value it shows is 43114.

Troubleshooting tried:
1) Tried recalibration multiple attempts; always remains unfixed.
2) Tried turning off/on; tried different USB ports.
3) Tried flashing new firmware for stick (black box 2 - VKB Gunfighter MCG Ultimate No Twist v2_12_2); no change;
4) Tried disassembly -- checked/reseated wires; checked for debris; tried jiggling the wires to see if I could see any phantom inputs. Nothing. Re-assembly does not fix issue.

So what now? Anything else to try?

Note that this began slightly and was hard to detect -- I just knew my craft (UH1 in DCS) was doing something strange with pitch maneuvers suddenly. It grew worse to the point where it was always noticeable and I can't successfully calibrate.

Attached graph of registered axis input -- the physical input, though was a gradual pull back then release of the y-axis.
Attachments
vkb_yaxis.JPG
graph of the physical input, though was a gradual pull back then release of the y-axis.

fallout9

Re: VKB Gunfighter MCG Ultimate Axis Jump

Postby fallout9 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38

Upload a screenshot of VKBDevCfg showing the Profile/Axes/Physical and Logical axes.

eskander

Postby eskander » Fri Apr 07, 2023 0:05

I went back into disassembling the unit to check things again;

I adjusted some of the wire leads into their plug to ensure it was fully fit -- the red cable did seem like it may not have been fully in.

I noticed a strange metallic piece between one of the PCBs and one of the dampeners. After taking out the PCB, it fell out; I guess it was a washer -- back when I was trying to fix the cam issue, I was using a variety of flat washers to adjust heights and try different configurations. I recall 'losing' one and had assumed it had fallen to the floor somewhere.

I'm guessing it fell into that space between the PCB and dampener. This means that as the stick was used, that washer would rub against the backside of the PCB. There's matching damage on the PCB with some of its skin rubbed away.

After removing the washer and reassembling, the stick actually seems to be working fine, despite the PCB damage.

This means the issue is resolved for now: out of precaution, though, I'd like to see if I could order another PCB to keep on hand in case this one's damage ends up causing future issues.

What's the process for this?

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:30

Take a photo of the damaged area on the board and show it here. You may not need a spare board.

Return to “Technical Support”