Gunfighter MK III base and condensation?

Moderator: AdminGroup

1sascha

Gunfighter MK III base and condensation?

Postby 1sascha » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:32

This may sound a little weird, and I've already discussed it with two VKB staffers (who also were a bit baffled by it), but it freaks me out a little, so I thought I'd ask around if anyone has experienced this too. Plus to get a reality check on my own theory of what's going on here:

I've my Gunfighter set for central-stick. It's mounted underneath my UCM-S mount, set to the greatest possible length. When I fly, I put my chair down to its lowest possible position where it will slide under the gimbal-housing that hangs underneath the mount's base-plate. Meaning that, while I'm flying, the housing will sit pretty much between my legs and very close to my crotch. Now, I like to have my window open when I'm at my PC and thus the room tends to get a little cold when it's cold outside. Which in turn will naturally cool down the mount and gimbal-housing as well.

In recent weeks I started to notice that sometimes after longer sessions, there'd be a layer of moisture on the housing when I'm done flying. It's usually on the front side of the housing (where it says "Caution! Tighten Grip Before Flight") but sometimes the underside of the housing feels a little wet too. At first I suspected the cleaning lady of perhaps taking a wet cloth to the stick to clean it, but I quickly realized that wasn't the case. I don't spill drinks or other liquids over my stick when I fly, so the only explanation I have is that the cooled down steel of the housing being very near or touching my warm body/clothing might be producing condensation on the housing. I'm pretty sure there are no liquids inside the gimbal (and certainly not in this quantity) so there's nothing in there that could "leak out". And no: I'm neither incontinent nor a girl, so that moisture is not coming from me ... :D

My solution, I guess, is to wait for spring and summer and to keep monitoring this stuff. There might have been a little condensation on the inside too on one occasion, but it mostly seems to appear on the outside. I also opened up the housing and taped a small and flat Sorbent-pack to the inside side of the lower covering plate (double checking that it didn't interfere with the gimbal moving) ... but other than that?

Does anyone have any other explanations for this and/or experienced this sort of thing themselves?

Cheers

Sascha

moreyummystuff

Re: Gunfighter MK III base and condensation?

Postby moreyummystuff » Mon Feb 20, 2023 22:32

Can't be of much help but I have to say that it's not often one reads a story involving expensive peripherals, a sweaty crotch and a cleaning lady in a tech support forum.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Sat Feb 25, 2023 16:53

LOL! Hence my disclaimer about how the post was going to sound a little weird... :D

I don't think it's a "sweaty" crotch per se, BTW... just the fact that the housing's steel is rather cold and then gets exposed to body heat. Pretty much the same as if I open my warm room's window when it's really cold outside... the glass will fog up due to condensation.

And BTW: Just to confirm my theory, I've since kept my window shut while flying and never had any ... err... "unwanted wetness down there" when I did that. :D

S.

moreyummystuff

Postby moreyummystuff » Mon Apr 03, 2023 20:33

I have a feeling your query was part of the inspiration for this year's April joke.

DeadWalking

Postby DeadWalking » Sun Apr 09, 2023 13:26

Sounds like humidity is up and with the cooler air temps chilling the housing it condensates the humid air.
The heat of the electronics causes it to be warmer on the inside.

But just guessing.

Return to “Technical Support”