New to VKB\Mid-High end HOSAS

Moderator: AdminGroup

CMDR Coldfu5ion

New to VKB\Mid-High end HOSAS

Postby CMDR Coldfu5ion » Wed Jan 18, 2023 22:12

Brand New to VKB, and trying to figure some stuff out so please be gentle

2 x NXT EVO Premium's - Left with an OTA.

New NXT EVO - only got it a couple of weeks ago

I find that my right stick doesn't center very well on the Twist axis ( Z?) I often find it off center in the device config - this doesn't appear to be an issue with calibration but with the stick it's self not quite centering back to 0 or 32767 in the software. I've had a look and the twist spring appears to have plenty of grease on it. I'm using the 30 grade springs on the x and y axis if that makes a difference for this. Attached a screenshot
twistaxis.png
Device Config

I've also noticed I have to recalibrate both sticks every couple of days (sometimes after quitting and restarting the game) or the game doesn't recognise them, which doesn't seem right - it's not what I would expect from quality gear. I get they are not Plug and play but this seems like a pretty basic thing that should just work.

any help is much appreciated.

fallout9

Re: New to VKB\Mid-High end HOSAS

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 22:24

First of all, did you follow up the set up and calibration steps from the official guide? Make sure you click the Default button, click Yes if asked to autoconfigure and calibrate afterwards. I suggest to do that with only one joystick plugged at the time. If not sure if the calibration went fine please post a screenshot of VKBDevCfg showing the Profile/Axes/Logical and Physical Axes panel.
Recalibration the joysticks has nothing to do with them being recognized by games. You're most probably playing Star Citizen, which is known to mess the order of the joysticks from time to time (so your joysticks appear in game, but they're swapped); if that happens you could use the resortdevices command as below:
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-18 112241.png

CMDR Coldfu5ion

Postby CMDR Coldfu5ion » Wed Jan 18, 2023 22:41

I did follow the calibration steps posted including defaulting them, one at a time with other not plugged in. See screen shot requested.
twistaxis-2.png

I'm playing Elite Dangerous, occasionally I can get it working by performing a Get\Set or a Load\set on the Actions Tab of the Device Config, but most of the time I need to re calibrate to get the game to pick up the device inputs.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 22:59

Something went wrong, obviously, looking at the numbers - they show a 0 deadzone on all axes. Please do EXACTLY the following steps, nothing extra, with only one joystick plugged at a time:
- select the joystick at the top, then press the Default button under the Tools tab;
- after the device restarts click Yes at the popup asking to autoconfigure, then OK for calibration popup;
- click the Start Calibr button, then move the joystick along the pitch and roll axes, through their whole range, without pushing against the edge;
- twist the grip a few times, again, without forcing at the end;
- push the minithrottle on the base up and down a few times;
- if you have the Premium version of the grip press and hold 2 seconds the center button of the A1 ministick until the red LED turns on, then move it around;
- press End Calibr when done and move on the other stick with the same steps;
- DO NOT press other buttons like Set, Get etc if you don't know exactly what you're doing. This will only mess up your profile and you'll have to go over the set up procedure again. If everything is done properly there is no reason your joysticks won't work properly in E:D when assigned to game controls.

CMDR Coldfu5ion

Postby CMDR Coldfu5ion » Thu Jan 19, 2023 0:55

I have completed those steps precisely and will let you know how it goes, but so far so good in that it's stayed centred in the config software.

CMDR Coldfu5ion

Postby CMDR Coldfu5ion » Sat Jan 21, 2023 0:36

This does appear to be fixed, thank you.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:49

Thank you for the update, have fun with them :)

Return to “Technical Support”