MCG PRO Trigger button not working

Moderator: AdminGroup

Onslott

MCG PRO Trigger button not working

Postby Onslott » Fri Jan 13, 2023 22:12

Hello All,

I have the PRO Trigger enabled but for whatever reason, the first button (button 41 in my case) is not working. Attached are the pictures of the VKB Device Config. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Attachments
PRO Trigger folded down.jpg
PRO Trigger down
PRO Trigger folded up.jpg
PRO Trigger folded up
PRO Trigger setup.jpg
PRO Trigger setup
PRO Trigger setup.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

fallout9

Re: MCG PRO Trigger button not working

Postby fallout9 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 0:45

There seem something wrong, button 3 should also be present. Try without the 2 fire buttons, or change their position, maybe those are taking over. Also make sure you reset to default and calibrate before trying - if you're changing the profile it might not work as intended.

Onslott

Postby Onslott » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:35

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in regards to button 3. Button 3 is the actual trigger button on that axis, which is working fine. Virtual button 41 is one of the buttons along the PRO Trigger axis that is not working. I did make sure to calibrate and everything else is working perfectly, its just that button 41 is no longer registering along the PRO Trigger axis.

See the attached image that demonstrates the issue:
Attachments
Button 41 not working.jpg

Onslott

Postby Onslott » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:55

Basically what I am trying to achieve is to have the PRO Trigger act as a Safety/Armed switch as it shows in the settings to enable it. I assume the "Pulse" option it to pulse buttons 41 and 44 as shown above?

Button 41 simply does not register, and Button 44 seems to stay on constantly and does not turn on/off with any movement of the axis.

EDIT: After reading another post, I should mention that I am on firmware version 2.11.0. I'm not sure I should try to update firmware to 2.12.2 after reading that post though...

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:20

If the number 255 is present in the settings, then the axis is not calibrated. And therefore, the correct operation of the buttons on it should not be expected.

Onslott

Postby Onslott » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:18

Hmm interesting point. When calibrating my axes, RotZ and Slider1 don't seem to be attached to anything. All other axes work, but the PRO Trigger actually does not appear to be either RotZ or Slider1.

Any thoughts?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:27

Please follow exactly the official calibration guide. Press the Default button before starting.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Sun Jan 15, 2023 14:45

Sorry to jump in here and slightly derailing things, but since I'm currently having to use a work-around to get my trigger to function as a "safe/armed" switch:

I wasn't aware that there's a third button function (42 in onslott's example) available. Am I understanding this correctly that the act of flipping the trigger forward or backward can be set to send its own button-press?

Basically, what I need for a certain game is just a simple button that will switch (in-game) my secondary weapon slot between cannon and bombs any time I flip the trigger forward or backward. Using two separate buttons (the "Safe"/"Armed" functions) for that would work, but it's a bit awkward and messes with other mappings in this game. And it doesn't seem possible to set the trigger to send out the same button-press for forward and backward... or at least I haven't been able to set it up this way. I'm currently using a work-around via Joy2Key to get both those button-presses to send the same keystroke, but I'd very much prefer to have this set to a single button-press for both positions (or for transitioning between forward and back) in VKB Config. Joy2Key can make things wonky in some games at times.. :)

What I'm looking for is:
Flip trigger back/down : Button X
Flip trigger forward/up: Button X
Pull trigger all the way back to fire: Button Y

The way this seems to work "out of the box" with Pro trigger enabled and Safe and Armed selected in VKB Config is:
Flip trigger back/down : Button X
Flip trigger forward/up: Button Z
Pull trigger all the way back to fire: Button Y

What I don't quite get is the presence of four button-functions in the MCG Pro section (here: 41, 42, 43, 44).

They way I count it (and using the button numbers from Onlott's example):
Trigger forward: "Safe" / 41
Trigger backward: "Armed" / 44
Trigger transitioning between forward and backward: "Fire1" /42

But since button 3 is the actual fire function (pulling back the trigger all the way until it clicks)... what physical position is "Fire 2" /43?

EDIT: Played around with Fire 1 and Fire 2 a bit and it seems those trigger points are always between the "trigger back/down" position and the "pull trigger all the way to fire" position, no matter where I set the sliders.

S.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 15:38

Added Fire1/Fire2 mode selector:
M0 - regular (default)
M1 - when the F2 button is activated, the F1 button is disabled
M2 - similar to M1, but when pressed all the way, the F1 button turns on again.
You can disable the button 24 (logical 3) at the physical level so as not to interfere.

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Sun Jan 15, 2023 16:52

Thanks for the explanation... I was about to play around with the different modes, but now I know what they do.

I still can't get the Fire1 and Fire2 functions to activate between the "armed" and "safe" position, they will only activate when I pull the trigger from "armed" to "fire".

Is there a way to make the "safe" and "armed" positions send out the same button instead of two different ones? All I really need is:

Switch trigger from "safe"/up to "armed"/down: Button X
Switch trigger from "armed"/down to "safe"/up: Button X

But all I seem to be able to get with the "MCG Pro Trigger"-settings is:

Switch trigger from "safe"/up to "armed"/down: Button X
Switch trigger from "armed"/down to "safe"/up: Button Y

You pointed me to a method of setting up the brake lever as a button and then turning that button into a toggle ... here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6515&p=58323#p58322

Would something like that work for the Pro Trigger as well?
Not to set a toggle, but to somehow "force" the trigger to send out the same button for both "armed" and "safe".

Sascha

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 18:51

I don't understand which button should be pressed in both modes. We have 4 logical buttons on the trigger axis and one physical button that gives a click. Or is it not about these buttons?

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:34

It is about the Pro Trigger and mostly about its "flip" function.

All I want the trigger to do is send out the same button (for example button 24) both when I flip it up *and* when I flip it down.

Meaning I want to set it like this:
Flip trigger to "safe" / forward/up : Button 24
Flip trigger to "armed" /back /down: Button 24

In the MCG Pro Trigger section in VKB Config, the button numbers seem to get assigned automatically and "Safe" /up and "Armed" /down are always two different buttons (in my case: 24 and 28) - I would like "safe" and "armed" to send out the same button-press.

Or let me describe what should happen in-game:

In the game I'm trying to customize the stick for, my plane's secondary weapon function can be toggled by a single key- or button-press ("cycle ammo"). That key will switch the secondary weapon between "cannon" and "bomb" every time it is pressed.

I want to use the flip trigger to send out that key/button every time I flip the trigger up or down, so flipping the trigger up or down will toggle between "cannon" and "bomb".

There is no function in the game to switch directly to bomb or cannon... just that "cycle ammo" function (it is an older game, lol).

Right now, I have it set up through Joy2Key like this:
Backspace on the keyboard is the game's default key to cycle between cannon and bomb, so:

Button 24 ("safe" /up) set to "Backspace" in Joy2Key
Button 28 ("armed" /down) set to "Backspace" in Joy2Key

which works but is a bit complicated and I don't really like using Joy2Key... especially not when I could achieve the same result by using VKB Config.

But I don't know how I would set this up in VKB Config - and if it is even possible to do it.

Here's what all that looks like in VKB Config and Joy2Key. "Armed" is defined as button 25 in VKB Config, but it does send button 24 (I think that's normal?). I also have mapped button 3 (Pro Trigger pull/fire) to "B", because that's the game's default key to fire weapon 2.

pro trigger.jpg

What I do to drop my bomb in game is:
1. Flip Pro Trigger to "armed" /down = game cycles Weapon 2-ammo from cannon to bomb
2. Press Pro Trigger all the way back = fire weapon 2/bomb gets dropped
3. Flip Pro Trigger back to "safe"/up = game cycles Weapon 2-ammo back from bomb to cannon.

S.
Last edited by 1sascha on Mon Jan 16, 2023 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 14:04

When the task is clear, then the solution comes quickly. This is easily solved by reassigning one of the Safe/Armed logic buttons.
The 25th physical button was translated into the 24th logical one, which is visible in the Safe mode. You need to do it on the 28th, as in the Armed mode. Now both modes will press one 28th button.
Safe=Armed.jpg

1sascha

Postby 1sascha » Mon Jan 16, 2023 14:13

Wohoo! That did it!

Thanks Ron!

S.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 14:23

You're welcome.

Return to “Technical Support”