Gladiator EVO NXT + GNX-SEM Config Issues

Moderator: AdminGroup

Scopique

Gladiator EVO NXT + GNX-SEM Config Issues

Postby Scopique » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:14

Hi everyone,

I just received the GNX-SEM this morning. I have followed the posted video on how to wire it up to the Gladiator NXT EVO direct (no USB board), how to prime the hardware (holding down B1 + B2 + B3, A1 and A2, etc.), and the next steps using the config software (reset to default, Find and Config, calibrate, etc.). I've covered those bases using the latest config software (0.92.55) and the latest NXT EVO firmware (2.12.2 ) from the website. As of right now, nothing I've tried has worked for me.

My goal is to remove the detente from the flaps lever (done), and to switch over to a 2-stop detente for the landing gear level (also done). As I'd like to use the flaps level as an axis input, when performing the initial hardware setup, I have pressed A1, then START to clear the detente settings. For the landing gear lever, I've pressed A2 and the B1. Everything's been saved with C1.

When I get into the config software, I am immediately told I need to calibrate. As this wasn't in the videos, I cancel out of the box and click DEFAULT, the stick vanishes from the list, reboots, and returns with the message that I need to calibrate the controller.

At this point I click the FIND & CONFIG button...the entry vanishes, stick reboots, and I now have 2 device entries under EXTERNAL > GENERAL: SCG and SEM. So far, so good, according to what I understand from the instructions.

Next, I click SEM Axis Wizard and see the flaps and landing gear. I want the flaps to act as the axis controller, as I believe I have set up in the initial hardware step (A1 > START > C1) so I click SWITCH FLAPS to light up the VIRTUAL 1:7 entry. When I close this window...nothing happens. I have no Axis #1 for the SEM device.

That's my issue up to this point. The landing gear switch registers activity under the TEST tab, so I should be OK with that. However, what am I doing wrong in regards to the flaps lever? I feel like there's a VERY specific set of steps that need to be taken in exactly the specific order, and I'm not getting the right order with all of these "need to config" and "need to calibrate" popups and such. I find it easy to get into a state where the SEM entry vanishes completely and clicking on FIND & SHOW pops up a window that just says !!!FAILED!!!, so I'm completely at a loss right now.

Some additional info: My Ax N reads '0', so no Axis devices. The tab says "2:17.23" but when I use the FIND & SHOW in the NXT Modules, the SEM is listed as "2:17.20 sub 4". The "sub" value shows "4". I am not sure what these numbers mean, but is the fact that they don't align significant?

Please let me know if you need any more info.

VKBDevCfg-C_YIoL1l4hqI.jpg

O30HGgBdEW.jpg

Scopique

Re: Gladiator EVO NXT + GNX-SEM Config Issues

Postby Scopique » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:40

Well, this just got approved as I kind of figured out "a solution". I'm not sure WHAT the ACTUAL solution was, so I'm going to chalk it up to happy accident :D

I ended up swapping the cable in the SEM from one of the ports to the other. I then did the hardware setup again and assigned the flaps as an axis (A1 > START) and the landing gear as a 2 stop detente (A2 > B1). Saved it (C1).

Opened the config software and went straight to DEFAULT for the stick which had the SEM attached. I got a "do you want to start configuring?" popup but I said NO, and used the FIND & CONFIGURE button instead. This cleaned out the junk and left only the stick and SEM. I SET the config to device.

I was then told that I needed to calibrate so I said OK, but I went to the SEM Axis setup. This was the weird part: I selected FLAPS again as an axis control, and it set itself to VIRTUAL 1:7, but when I closed the popup window, the main control panel didn't register any changes. So I set the Ax N to "1" and MANUALLY set Axis #1 to VIRTUAL 1:7.

Then I clicked START CALIBRATION and went to the TEST tab and the axis slider for the flaps was present. I calibrated and everything went smoothly after that.

So I don't know if it was the switching of the cable from one port to another (I moved it to the port further towards the physical center of the SEM) or if the config was just tired of dealing with me, but I guess all's well that ends well.

Sehnder

Re: Gladiator EVO NXT + GNX-SEM Config Issues

Postby Sehnder » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:39

It looks like you found a workaround, but wanted to let you know there is another answer. Had the same problem and got help on the discord server, looks like it was an issue with the latest config software. You can find it if you navigate to the discord (https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=13721)

Return to “Technical Support”