MCG Ultimate - what extension to get?

Moderator: AdminGroup

Monkee

MCG Ultimate - what extension to get?

Postby Monkee » Sun Nov 27, 2022 0:16

Hi,
I’m planning on evolving from my Gladiator NXT to a Gunfighter base to be able to use the stick center mounted and on an extension.
I want to have a versatile installation for all eras of flight - planes, helos and space - and I would like to switch to the MCG Ultimate in the future but I’m afraid it might be better on a shorter extension than my SCG due to its weight ?

What are the recommandations for these models?
Thanks in advance.

fallout9

Re: MCG Ultimate - what extension to get?

Postby fallout9 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:52

The 100mm extension would be great at this moment, as it would allow you to use the current grip installed at a 15deg offset for center mount position; don't forget to get a conversion kit if you want to use the current grip on the GunFighter base (chose the Right Hand GNX SCG to GunFighter kit from the drop down menu). The extension would also work with the MCGU grip and all others from our lineup.

Monkee

Postby Monkee » Sun Nov 27, 2022 23:48

Thanks a lot fallout9. I did not know about the conversion kit! :wink:

Out of interest and food for thoughts for the future: if I wanted to have an extension only for aviation sims (from biplane to jets) and helos and have a separate HOSAS for space sim, would you still recommend me the 100mm?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:18

Personal opinion - the 100mm extension is all you need for any flight sims. I find the 200mm making the motion range of the base too wide for comfort. Of course others might have a different opinion, but this is what works for me.

Monkee

Postby Monkee » Mon Nov 28, 2022 18:00

Alright, the order has been passed! I'm so looking forward to this. :D

Thanks again for your help fallout9.

Side question: I only used the softest strings with my NXT because I could not fix it to my desk (and that's how it was the most stable) but I would like to play with this option (and also with the clutch and exchangeable cams) now that it's going to be solidly fixed on a table mount.
Do you have some recommandation for the different types of airframes?
And a general recommandation for a middle ground appropriate when you switch between airframes regularly and don't want to open the base?

Mav

Postby Mav » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:15

Monkee wrote:Thanks a lot fallout9. I did not know about the conversion kit! :wink:

Out of interest and food for thoughts for the future: if I wanted to have an extension only for aviation sims (from biplane to jets) and helos and have a separate HOSAS for space sim, would you still recommend me the 100mm?

100mm is good enough. Your legs won't let you take advantage of the full 200mm extension's range of motion, unless you are willing to mount the stick up high which might be a bit uncomfortable.
With 100mm, I can rest my hand on my leg and with my feet on either edges of the T-rudder pedals, the stick still (bearly) touches my legs on either (left & right) extremes.
And the same limitation applies to pitch. (unless you want to mount the base further forward, which again, can sacrifice some comfort)
GF base has +-20 deg deflection, which is on the upper range, compared to Virpil CMx which is +-16 deg and WW Orion 2 which is +-17 deg. So 100mm gives you enough deflection range. More deflection is just unnecessary and again, can sacrifice comfort.
Not to mention the increased lever length (and extra weight of the longer extension itself) puts more strain on the gimbal and will decrease the max centering force that you can get.

Mav

Postby Mav » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:26

Monkee wrote:Alright, the order has been passed! I'm so looking forward to this. :D

Thanks again for your help fallout9.

Side question: I only used the softest strings with my NXT because I could not fix it to my desk (and that's how it was the most stable) but I would like to play with this option (and also with the clutch and exchangeable cams) now that it's going to be solidly fixed on a table mount.
Do you have some recommandation for the different types of airframes?
And a general recommandation for a middle ground appropriate when you switch between airframes regularly and don't want to open the base?

I'm using fully loosened clutches and a single #50 spring on pitch and a single #40 spring on roll axis with soft center space (linear) cams.
I only play flight sims, but I really hated the Avia cams. I guess you could get used to it over time, but I don't really see any benefit to them besides the "fake force feedback" (increased "air" resistance near the edges of each axis).
They also need less force to move around the center, but you could just use the space cams instead and use lighter springs to get that same light feel around the center (since space cams don't need as high of a spring force for perfect return to center), without needing excessive force near the edges.

The Avia cams might be a bit more suited for civil flight sims, but in combat flight sims, you don't need full precision & "light feel" just around the center, but through the whole range of motion (for accurately aiming your guns in a turn fight).

Monkee

Postby Monkee » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:49

Thank you Mav for the detailed explanation on stick deflection. Is the +-20 deg deflection an advantage of this particular stick or just a different construction choice?

Thank you for your insight on the clutch + spring + cam configuration also!

Mav

Postby Mav » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:00

You could say it is an advantage in that it lets you to use the same base in both extended and un-extended (tabletop) configurations (i.e. still get a decent range of motion without an extension).

Return to “Technical Support”