Gladiator NXT EVO Omnithrottle Not Waking Up

Moderator: AdminGroup

Flopsy

Re: Gladiator NXT EVO Omnithrottle Not Waking Up

Postby Flopsy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:29

This morning I watched the joystick lights as I switched the PC on. They both came on and then the light on the base went out and a second or two later the light on the stick itself went out. This all occurred before the Windows startup screen had loaded.
I will try your suggestion later, I need to use the PC at the moment.
I have disconnected the Omnithrottle and connected my old Thrustmaster joystick to the same port. After one sleep the joystick was active once the pc had woken up.

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:25

Try to enable "ErP Support" (probably called ErP Ready) in the BIOS in the APM Configuration section, if possible.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 13:10

Thank you for the reply. Under the Power Section in the BIOS there is an option Enhanced Power Saving Mode, This is currently Disabled. In its descriptor it states "If enabled only Wake Up on Alarm Function is supported". Effectively I suppose the keyboard and mouse would no longer wake the PC up so might not be a good idea. Under the USB Controllers section of Device Manager there are two controllers listed:- Intel(R) USB 3.20 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.20(Microsoft) and USB Root Hub (USB 3.0). I am going to untick the 'Allow Windows to turn off this device' option under the Power tab of Properties and Restart. Seems a bit daft when we keep getting told to save energy eh?
The BIOS is AMI Version 2.21 0052 if that helps.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 18:50

Quick Update. Since preventing Windows from putting the USB controllers to sleep the joystick has started up with windows during any restarts and has always woken after the pc has slept. We'll see how it goes over the next few days but this is only a get-around not a real solution.
The strange thing is that when the pc goes to sleep the lights on keyboard, mouse AND joystick all go out; doesn't that mean that they are asleep?

skarekrow

Postby skarekrow » Tue Oct 25, 2022 17:31

Maybe try this one extra step in regards to USB ports staying powered after sleep mode, but if all is working fine now I don't know if I would mess with stuff. May want to check settings after windows update from time to time.
https://www.top-password.com/blog/set-windows-to-power-on-off-usb-devices-in-sleep-mode
My NXT Evo shuts off when pc is turned off and I have these settings that I linked to, however I have not had issue with usb port.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Tue Oct 25, 2022 21:05

Thanks for the reply, Method 1 on that link is exactly how my pc has been configured for the last few days. Guess what, when i returned to the pc tonight and woke it up the joystick failed to wake up. I really thought I had the problem cracked.
I have now modified the power settings as per Method 2 and we will see how it goes.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:59

Method 2 didn't work either. I've given up for the time being and am reluctantly using my old, cheap but reliable Thrustmaster joystick. There are still questions that I posed in this topic that still haven't been answered...
In the thread that starts "This morning I watched" I describe how the lights both came on but later went off again before the PC had reached the Windows startup screen. I suggest to VKB that they went out after the stick failed to identify itself properly to Windows when requested to do so.
Windows also makes this request when the pc wakes after a sleep and has stated in a pop-up bottom right of screen that it has disabled the stick because it failed to identify itself at wake up. I am not convinced that the stick is completely innocent.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 15:16

I now have a situation where having the joystick now seems to be preventing windows from switching off the display and subsequently going to sleep.
I am using USB 2.0 ports(tried two of them) and if I unplug the joystick the display switches off after the preset time but if the joystick is plugged in the display won't switch off nor will the pc go to sleep. For the record the USB controllers have had the 'Allow windows to turn off this device' under Device Manager unticked. How can the joystick interfere with Windows functions in this manner? As I have asked previously, why doesn't the stick consistently identify itself when the pc is either powered up or has awoken from a sleep?
I have used my old Thrustmaster stick over the last two days with ZERO problem and power saving working as it should.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 18:06

please advise how to raise a ticket(United Kingdom) as I have now had it with this joystick. I used the pc this morning on and off for browsing and email and all was well: it slept when expected to do so but the joystick wasn't plugged in. After plugging in the joystick and playing FS 2020 this afternoon the pc wouldn't sleep. Unplug the joystick and hey presto the pc fell asleep after the appropriate time.
I feel that i have spent more than enough time 'debugging' to show that the problem doesn't lie with my old joystick or other usb devices. There is definitely something wrong with this particular item...

Ron61

Postby Ron61 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 20:42

Just so you know - with any joystick connected, the desktop with Win 11 does not go to sleep and does not turn off the monitor. So you are not the first.

Flopsy

Postby Flopsy » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:07

Many thanks for your reply, it's the first time that I have seen the problem blamed on Win 11 so I googled it and was led to this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2ce6f4243e
If you look at the entry dated March 11 2022 from viperomegax he has even traced the problem to the throttle. I also have the Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle that came with my T16000M Joystick and it is the throttle that prevents windows sleep rather than the joystick. I have replicated the phenomenon myself yesterday.
This whole saga on this thread leaves me with a few questions:-
1. Why did no-one from VKB flag this up? They have some replies on this thread but perhaps they didn't know what you know.
2. Are Microsoft or the game controller manufacturers doing anything about it? In particular why did Microsoft change the way that Windows handles controllers between Win 10 and Win 11?
I do hope that a proper cure comes for this problem as i don't like keep connecting/disconnecting hardware from ports due to the long term wear issue.
Once again thanks for your help

Return to “Technical Support”