VKB NXT EVO questions

Moderator: AdminGroup

b2soft

VKB NXT EVO questions

Postby b2soft » Wed Sep 28, 2022 23:22

Hello. Im very glad to see myself upgraded from Cobra M3 to nxt evo (kosmosima premium). I mainly flight helicopters in msfs and dcs, and sometimes fa18 in dcs.

I removed springs and tightened screws a bit. Question is, that tension needed is not uniform (left to center is harder than center to right, y axis is kinda uniform) I tightened them wrong?

For some reason i can feel center detent mechanically but only on Y axis (like click at center, then go further). Is it normal? Or I have to return springs 10 and forget about flying without springs and stopping complaining?

Also, it seems like max numbers are not uniform even after calibration: top left position axis y is 65535, top right position y is 64800
Is it ok?

I really like how it feels but center detent..well acceptable but not great :(

fallout9

Re: VKB NXT EVO questions

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:02

The uneven tension on the roll axis is normal, as there is only 1 spring adjusting the damper on that axis.
About center detent - if you remove the springs there will be no detent. What you feel is the pincher moving, but without springs on the they'll just float around. So without springs there will certainly be no detent, neither center or axes detent, that's simply not possible not only on this joystick, but on any spring activated joystick gimbal ever made.
About calibration - to get proper values when using the joystick in no springs/ heavy damper setting you'll have to calibrate the joystick first WITH springs, like here; only afterwards you could take out the springs and use the joystick for helicopters.

b2soft

Postby b2soft » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:43

Going from down to up. Friction is OK until center. Then seems like this plastic guy is stucking and cam (is it cam?) is not moving anymore and I have additional friction.
Here are images: https://imgur.com/a/jMn8a4E

So, I have to install springs (even 10), calibrate, remove springs and remove pinchers. Tighten clutch and enjoy

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:49

Again, if the springs are removed the pinchers will just float around. Most of the people won't get bothered by it, but if you don't like to get them in the way you could take the gimbal apart and pull them out; they won't affect the gimbal functionality at all though.
Also, I suggest to leave more slack to both cables on the gimbal side.

b2soft

Postby b2soft » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:54

will just float around

sorry, but they create an additional friction once pincher is blocked at the border (as being seen at photo). I wonder why for X axis it's not true and they are not blocking anything.
Will calibrate and remove them :D
Thanks

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:58

Let me know please if that would fix the issue.

b2soft

Postby b2soft » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03

With Spring #10 here is a nice center detent and everything is fine (pinchers are caught at right place) Will fly with these settings. But I really like smooth movement without springs, will test it tomorrow. For me it seems that without a spring, Y axis pinchers are not in right place
Thanks

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:30

I'll try to explain - the pinchers' max opening angle is narrower than the gimbal's limits. If the spring is removed you'll feel the pincher being pushed towards the end of the axis range, then you'll push again at the other pincher when you're going the other way, towards the opposite axis' end. Again, for most of the people this won't be a big issue, as you could barely feel it during flight; but if it bothers you the fix is to completely remove the 2 pinchers from each axis, so you'll get free travel inside the gimbal, with no obstruction.

legrunt

Postby legrunt » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:03

Hi Fallout. I understand what you mean, only because I have experienced it and already know what causes it. However, others who have no idea what is going on in the insides might not understand using only the written text.

To the OP, I suggest taking off the bottom and looking at how the insides move as you move the stick. You will immediately understand what fallout is trying to explain as you observe how the pinchers move corresponding to what you are feeling.

b2soft

Postby b2soft » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:27

I completely understand what was described. For me it's strange that pinchers opening angle is narrower only for Y axis. X axis opened angle is precisely equals gimbal limits instead. But I think it's just an engineering solution, not the best, not he worst, but working well :)

Now I know the solution and will try it.

Return to “Technical Support”