VKB Gunfighter MCG handbrake / button 3 randomly triggering

Moderator: AdminGroup

Murrdox

VKB Gunfighter MCG handbrake / button 3 randomly triggering

Postby Murrdox » Thu Sep 22, 2022 19:06

I have had this issue for quite some time and I've just sort of been dealing with it, since it's only a minor inconvenience. However I'm at the point where I'd like to get this permanently fixed.

I am having an issue with my MCG where the handbreak and button 6 randomly trigger for no reason. I have had this happen in the past when I'm not even touching the stick. I started noticing this happening after I installed the twist adapter in the MCG several years ago, but I can't definitively say that is the cause. After awhile when the issue starts to bother me too much, what I have done is to open up the joystick and check the connections for the twist adapter and other connections in the stick. After I do this, the problem doesn't seem to occur as often for awhile, but it always returns.

I just did this process again today but shortly after firing up my game, it happened again.

I would be willing to uninstall the twist adapter to see if that could be the cause of the issue, however I don't see instructions online to revert the software of the Gunfighter back to its pre-twist settings, only instructions on how to install the twist. Any help would be appreciated. At this point I'm hoping maybe it is simply a defect with the twist adapter and replacing that might fix the issue.

[Edit] - Sorry for the typo in the subject of the thread. It is actually button 6 that is getting the random inputs, not button 3. (Lower right grey button on the top of the stick)

[Edit 2] After making the post I took some time to simply move the joystick around while watching the log of it in the VKB Config. Just repeatedly moving the joystick around in a circle for a few minutes I was able to watch the issue happen a couple of times. I also tried leaving the stick idle and just sitting on my desk idle for about 20 minutes, but I didn't notice the behavior. I'm fairly certain I've seen it trigger in the past without even inputting the stick, but it doesn't seem to be doing that at the moment.

[Edit 3] I spent some more time testing and I opened up the External Devices tab of Device Config, which showed the "Communication Error Level" on the grip. I played around with the stick for a few minutes, and I duplicated the issue, and noticed a corresponding blip on the logging there. It wasn't significant, but it definitely correlated with the event. See attachment.
Attachments
VKB Error Level.png

fallout9

Re: VKB Gunfighter MCG handbrake / button 3 randomly triggering

Postby fallout9 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 19:50

Both the secondary trigger and the hand brake are axes and have to get calibrated in order to work properly. Press the Default button under the Tools tab, then follow this guide.

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Thu Sep 22, 2022 21:40

Thanks for that. I believe last time I tried to resolve this, I did recalibrate the device. Though, it has been quite some time since then (I haven't been playing in awhile) and I am fairly certain I did NOT hit the "Default" button before calibrating.

I just completed the process you outlined, and so far... so good. I had about a 45 minute play session without any random inputs. So maybe that did the trick. I'll reply back if something changes. Thank you!

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Thu Oct 27, 2022 18:53

Hello,

I'm sorry to say that the issue seems to have returned after a few hours of use on the stick. Things were genuinely much better after wiping everything and re-calibrating, and it does still seem to be occurring with less frequency than it used to. I've probably put less than 20 hours of use on the stick since things seemed resolved last month.

Any new advice? I am leaning towards removing the twist adapter, and resetting the stick to its defaults, calibrating it, and then using the stick WITHOUT the twist adapter for a period of time to see if the fault can be traced to the twist adapter.

Also - again to clarify the button that is getting the random input is Button 6, not Button 3 (the secondary trigger) as I mistakenly put in the title of the post.

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Thu Nov 03, 2022 23:20

Just to update - I reset the stick to default settings and recalibrated again. This time there seemed to be no improvement. I'm still getting random handbrake / button 6 inputs.

I'm going to try to take the stick apart and reset the settings for use without the twist adapter, to see if that makes a difference.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:28

Post a VKBDevCfg screenshot please showing the Profile/Axes/Logical and Physical Axes charts.

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Fri Nov 04, 2022 16:58

Sure, here you go.

Last night I went ahead and removed the twist adapter, reset the stick to default, and recalibrated. The issue continued to happen pretty much right away. So it doesn't appear like the twist adapter itself is at fault...

VKB Config Screenshot.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:09

Your firmware and software are pretty old, let's try to update it to the latest: flashing firmware, calibrating.
Afterwards please post a screenshot of the Axes2Buttons panel if you still have the issue.

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:13

Okay, I've updated but unfortunately the problem is still occurring. I've also noticed recently (this was previous to the firmware update) that I'm also starting to see a few phantom inputs for button 23. This doesn't seem to be happening as often though. The handbrake and button 6 are happening much more often.

Also note that since my previous update, I went ahead and reinstalled the twist adapter, since it seemed that wasn't related to the issue.

VKB Axes2Buttons after firmware update.png

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:03

Clean up the 3 contact pads on the top of the base stem with some cloth and alcohol after you removed the grip (are there any deep gouges on those pads?). Test the 3 pins inside the grip with a pen, see if they're still spring activated.

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Tue Nov 08, 2022 0:12

There are some scratches on the contacts, I am not sure if it qualifies as "deep gouges" though. Let me know what you think based on the picture. I tested the pins, and they are all spring loaded and seem to be working well. Cleaned everything with microfiber cloth and alcohol.

The scratches make it look like there might be some rotational play on the grip, or there was in the past. Anyways, when I reattached the grip I made sure to put it on REALLY tight. After a brief play session, so far I did not have any phantom inputs. We'll see how it holds up.

VKB Connector.png

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Tue Nov 08, 2022 17:13

After a longer play session last night I still had the phantom inputs happen a couple of times.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:57

Must be a connection issue grip to base. Release the fastener, press a bit on the grip while retightening the fastener for firm contact. Tighten the fastener screw really well so it won’t become loose.

Murrdox

Postby Murrdox » Mon Nov 14, 2022 18:44

I've done this, but the problem still occurs. I am also experiencing a new problem since I upgraded the firmware on the stick. This had never happened previously. Several times during gameplay I have had the twist axis suddenly get stuck into the full-right position. During gameplay I have been able to correct this issue by quickly unplugging / plugging in the stick.

I've re-calibrated the stick a couple of times hoping this was due to some kind of calibration issue after updating the firmware, but it happened again.

What's my next level of recourse here?

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:24

It has to be connection grip to base issue. Please submit a service ticket and provide a link to this thread.

Return to “Technical Support”