MCG Ultimate Twist axis grinding

Moderator: AdminGroup

mobbmann

MCG Ultimate Twist axis grinding

Postby mobbmann » Fri Sep 16, 2022 19:40

I was experiencing some grinding on the twist axis of my MCG ultimate when moving it all the way to the right on the X axis, it feels like a metal on metal sensation. I've tried tightening the 2 hex screws in the grip connecting the twist adapter and reseating the grip and the issue still persists.

I'm wondering if the adapter might need some additional grease or there might be some simple solution I'm missing. Fyi, I have an MCG pro also and it doesnt have this issue.

fallout9

Re: MCG Ultimate Twist axis grinding

Postby fallout9 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 20:02

Make sure the fastener's cylinders are all the way inside the grip.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Sun Sep 18, 2022 22:41

what do you mean "fasteners cylinders are all the way inside the grip"? is there a picture to reference? I pulled the twist adapter out, looked for any obvious issues and found none, put it back in and same grinding.

I did notice that there is not a lot of "white lubricant" on the base of the adapter where it slides into the sleeve/collar. I'm not sure if this might be an issue.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Mon Sep 19, 2022 18:00

If you meant the two pieces with a screw that lock the grip in place on the base. I tried reseating those already… no love.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 19:53

Yes, those 2 pieces, make sure they're all inside the twist module when tightened. To eliminate them from investigation you could take the grip off the base and twist it with your hand to see if the grinding is still there.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Fri Sep 23, 2022 19:44

Heres what I've done so far,

- Disassembled and regreased the twist module with nyogel767A.
- Tested the twist module off the base and the grinding is still there, so that rules out the base or interface with the base.

I'm focused now on maybe the spring is catching on rotation on the plastic since its the only moving part I can think of that can make that kind of friction. I'll take a look later today when I have the grip apart.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:41

took a look again at twist module, this time I looked at the spring and how its installed, i didnt see anything out of place. I cleaned it , regreased it a second time after looking for burrs or any other defects, at this point I have no idea what could be wrong.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:29

I think I figured out what is causing the grinding feeling when I twist the twist adapter and push it toward the right on the X axis. When I took the twist adapter apart this time I looked closer at the metal center shaft, spring and C-clip. I noticed that the new grease I applied yesterday had already started turning black, this made me wonder if the metal shaft might not be smooth at all, turns out its not smooth. In fact, the metal center shaft has tiny horizontal grooves which can cause a grinding sensation when twisting which is really distracting when flying. In addition, the plastic cover that acts as a sleeve for the metal center shaft also grinds, which might explain the black grease only 24 hours after application. Here are some videos of the grinding and a picture of the adapter for reference:
twist adapter parts.jpg

here is a link to video of the metal center shaft grinding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZL1wf_ ... xF&index=1

here is a video of the plastic grinding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68O8p5y ... xF&index=2

I've tried regreasing everything, including the spring, clip. I've tried moving the spring around, rotating it clockwise, counterclockwise. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit:
So, I'm not sure what happened but the twist seems better now, not completely resolved but it is noticeably better. There is one thing I did this time regreasing. For the top 2cm/1 inch of the metal center shaft,just below where the C-Clip inserts, I applied a thin coat of nyogel between the spring and the shaft. I did this after I put the black sleeve cover back on because the act of sliding the sleeve down removes the grease from this area. I then greased the inside of the spring also that faces the metal shaft. I then put the twist assemble back together. When I initially put it back together the grinding was still there like it always was. After letting the flight stick sit for a while I came back to it to see if anything changed. I started working the stick in large circles with the twist engaged, disengaged, reverse the twist, twist and hold while doing circles. I'm now doing flight tests with it and it seems noticeably better. The grinding is still there but its only at extreme deflection. I will update in a 1 or 2 days to give the grease a chance to work its magic.
Last edited by mobbmann on Fri Sep 30, 2022 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Mon Sep 26, 2022 19:29

So although improved, the grinding is still there. I've applied a healthy coat of nyogel to the adapter with no resolution. One observation that I made is that no matter what I do the grinding is when I pull to the right and twist, not the left. I'm left thinking that it might be something on one side of the metal center rod or plastic sleeve and not the other since I get no grinding on the left. In other words, this might be a defect to the adapter on one side. The only other question I have is this just my twist adapter or are they all like this? I'm thinking that this is probably just my twist adapter since I didnt experience this before with another twist adapter.

fallout9

Postby fallout9 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 23:20

The channels on the central post are there in order to retain the grease better, so it won't start to slide down in case of a hot environment.
Make sure the top - spring top, plastic washer and E washer are greased; post where the spring makes contact with it also.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Mon Sep 26, 2022 23:45

I greased all those areas, under the spring, above the spring between the spring and the metal post, between the e clip and both sides of the plastic washer. I applied a generous coating too. The grinding is still there on the right when twisting.

I also tried rotating the spring and e clip to see if the grind changes from left to right but the grinding stays on the right no matter what.

What did you want a picture or video of? I’ll try to give you as much detail as possible.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:25

I just received instructions from customer support to sand the metal shaft with 1000 Grit sandpaper. I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance, but I'm worried about tolerances around the shaft when I'm done sanding. I asked customer support If I could buy a new MCG Ultimate twist adapter twice now just to be done with this as a backstop of a solution, I'd really like to get that option going now since pulling my grip apart over and over cant be good for the health of the screw heads keeping it together.

mobbmann

Postby mobbmann » Thu Sep 29, 2022 22:34

I managed to get a twist adapter installed and working properly. The original twist adapter with the textured metal post was indeed the culptrit. As for the solution recommended, I would not recommend sanding the twist adapter post to other customers for various reasons but to sum it up and move on, it was ineffective at best.

As far as the twist adapter. I ordered one last week and it arrived today. The metal shaft on the new twist has a mirror polish, no grooves. Needless to say this twist adapter has no grinding issue and is “butter”. There was obviously a revision to the twist adapter at some point. The new one has two black plastic tabs at the base. The defective one does not have two black plastic tabs. Notice the mirror finish on the new center metal post.
twist smooth vs textured2.jpg

I originally ordered the extra twist adapter to have a lighter twist option for my mcg pro so I didn’t have to disassemble the twist adapter if I wanted to change twist tension.

I hope this helps anyone one else having this issue and it saves them needles steps and trouble shooting.

Return to “Technical Support”